Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sandrena gel dose equivalent to 75 patch  (Read 9015 times)

Waterdaggers

Sandrena gel dose equivalent to 75 patch
« on: July 29, 2017, 10:30:34 AM »

Hi,

I've been on the Evorel 75 patch but since these are so large I asked for something else for when I go on holiday. I've been prescribed Sandrena gel, however the chemist is telling me I only need a tenth of a 0.5mg sachet. Surely this can't be right? Does anyone know the correct equivalent dosage?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:40:08 AM by Waterdaggers »

Katia

Re: Sandrena gel dose equivalent to 75 patch
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 03:40:30 PM »

I think one sachet is 1mg. If the evorel is 75, probably 3/4 of a sachet

Waterdaggers

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »

No I've been given the 0.5mg sachets. So you think 1 and a half sachets? The chemist was convinced I only need a tenth of sachet.... he was there looking things up for ages and I knew he had to be wrong! He didnt want to give it me because he thought I was going to end up overdosing as tenth of a sachet too hard to measure.

Katia

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 06:28:12 PM »

If it's 0.5 mg then yes 1.5 sachets. I can't imagine anyone using less than 1 sachet. He must have made a mistake. I'm sure someone who has switched to gel from patches will see the post and can help.

Waterdaggers

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 07:08:50 PM »

Ok thank you Katia. I think he was just not familiar with the gel and the script was not clear on dose.

Waterdaggers

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 05:58:07 AM »

Anyone else know about the dose I should be taking? Going away today and still unsure what is the correct dose equivalent to the 75 patches  :-\

Yammy1

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 06:32:32 AM »

1/10th sounds way too low, is there anyway you can ring your doc and clarify what dose you need?

Waterdaggers

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 09:22:28 AM »

He didnt know... he just wrote on the script equivalent to something can't remember what and the chemist just said that that = 1/10th of a sachet. But in the information inside the box it says usual dose is between 1-3 sachets. I'm just going to go with 2 and see what happens.

DaisyB

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 11:04:08 PM »

Hi water daggers- I'm on sandrena  - 0.5mg x 2 daily. Any excess I dont need will leave the body ( thats the advice on here) I've also read the patches are not as strong - I had to use 3 patches before getting a good result prior to starting the gel. I would ring GP - sounds like you need to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about!
DaisyB xx

Katia

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 07:03:29 AM »

DaisyB have you tried estrogel too?  If so do you get better results with Sandrena?

DaisyB

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 07:30:42 AM »

Katia I went straight from patches after being on them for a couple of weeks to sandrena. I'm told there is very little difference and that sandrena was the only type available here in NI. Mine seems to have an alcohol base to speed up drying time on skin. not sure about estrogel as I haven't used it?

Katia

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 06:43:10 AM »

DaisyB estrogel is an alcohol base too

DaisyB

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 06:53:57 AM »

Katia - I didn't think there was any difference except the base gel and sandrena being slightly stronger? I've been told I cannot get estrogel in NI.
I've just googled difference between them and it's confused me even more?
Now that things are settling I am thinking of visiting one of the consultants mentioned here a lot.
I'll start a new thread and ask for advice and guidance around that x

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 07:32:25 AM »

Hi DaisyB

Sandrena is more concentrated than estrogel: unless it's changed since I last researched it: 0.75 g Sandrena gel gives 0.75 mg estradiol whereas 1.25 g Oestrogel is needed to give 0.75 mg estradiol. Therefore you need less Sandrena gel for the same amount of estradiol - which could be an issue for higher doses ie  in terms of how much you need to spread?

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »

Hi,

I've been on the Evorel 75 patch but since these are so large I asked for something else for when I go on holiday. I've been prescribed Sandrena gel, however the chemist is telling me I only need a tenth of a 0.5mg sachet. Surely this can't be right? Does anyone know the correct equivalent dosage?

Thanks!

As the others have said - you need to use as directed and your chemist is ignorant, sadly. Is this person a pharmacist?  He really doesn't know what he's talking about! What he was doing was trying to look at the actual amount of estradiol on the gel and compare this to the daily delivery rate of estradiol from patches - which are just not comparable! Gel, tablet and patch doses are worked out to approx low medium and high - and to be approximately equivalent - and it's all very approximate because it depends on how you absorb the gel from the different methods.

Patches - 50 mcg is medium, and 75 mcg and above is given as high. Gel: estrogel starting dose is 2 pumps increasing to 4 so probably 3 pumps of estrogel is medium/high dose. If you assume this is equivalent to 75 mcg patch then that gives 2.25 mg estradiol. To get the same amount of estradiol from Sandrena you would need 2 1/4 sachets if you are using Sandrena 0.5.

As I said the amount may vary depending on how you absorb it and hopefully whatever you tried is working out OK? Two sachets sounds like a good approximation! If you find your flushes returning then you need to increase slightly.

Hope this helps and you enjoyed your holiday :)

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2