Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Femoston 1/10  (Read 3522 times)

AndieM

Femoston 1/10
« on: July 24, 2017, 10:48:50 AM »

Hello...

I posted last month about the doctor offering me AD or cerazette for my peri menopausal symptoms. I didn't want AD's as felt my problem was hormonal based and didn't take the cerazette as I felt it might make my symptoms worse.

I've been suffering from extreme pms, irrational, tearful, argumentative and v angry, lack of concentration, forgetfulness and brain fog.
Having more painful periods and flooding the first day of the cycle.
Had a few hot flushes about 3-4 a month so not many.
Also a bit of virginal irritation but doesn't cause too much of a problem.

I'm 46, been having regular periods, slightly shorter cycles.

After doing my research went back to the Doctors today and asked if I could try out Qlaira as thought this might be a good option to see if it would level out my hormones. The doctor thought I should try HRT as she said the Qlaira had more hormones in it than the HRT and as I didn't need it for contraception it was a better option.
She wanted to start me on ellest duet 1mg but I asked for femoston 1/10 which she was happy to prescribe and said I could take it straight away( I'm in mid cycle) she also said to ask on the MM forum for other people's experience of when to start.

It's really thrown me as I was expecting to come out with a prescription for Qlaira, in my mind that was my first option, 2nd option was a Mirena coil and Oestrogel, then 3rd option femoston.

I know it sounds strange but I don't know if I feel ready to take HRT but I do know I need to do something to help with the symptoms....

dahliagirl

Re: Femoston 1/10
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 11:09:04 AM »

Hi - The received wisdom seems to be to start on the first day of the next period (if they are not too far apart).  This is not because it does not work as well if not (like the pill) but to get your hrt pill cycle in sync with your own cycle as far as possible to stop you getting as much unexpected bleeding.

Was the mirena ruled out because you do not need contraception?  It is supposed to be good for heavy bleeding - I think you may have to be referred on to a gynae if you need it for that.

Hope it goes well.  :) It is always useful to keep a diary of symptoms so that you can be definite and clear about any problems you have.

AndieM

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 11:34:19 AM »

Hi dahliagirl

Thanks for that, I have another couple of weeks to get my head around it.
No I think I can have the mirena coil, my doctor said another doctor in the practice does them and you need to have a consultation with them first( you never see the same doctor at our practice, it's whoever you can get into see!)
I think I was thrown because I expected the Qlaira. Now I'm thinking should I have the mirena? It's all v confusing :-\

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:07:53 PM »

Yes - my old practice was like that - lots of doctors.  On the plus side, they did seem to have a very good system for practice policy, so that they could all work together.  My current practice only has 2 1/2 GPs and one of them does 'not do womens stuff'  ::)

I can see why they did not give you Qlaira if you don't need contraception - it does have some of the downsides of contraception such as the high dose of progestogen.  It also has changing doses, which is not good in my experience - I like everything to stay the same  ;)

Could you see how you get on with the Femoston, and make an appointment to discuss things with the mirena gp?

AndieM

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 01:02:44 PM »

Sounds like a plan :)
Do you know if it changes your cycle at the beginning? It's just that I'm going to Rome for my 25 wedding anniversary at the beginning of September and would rather not be on a period then

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 01:39:22 PM »

Femoston?

You generally have a bleed about 3 days after the progestogen stops (or in my case 3 days before  ::) )  I went from cycles that varied from 12 to 26 days with variable amounts,  and only bled during the time it was supposed to happen.  You do need to take the tablets at the same time every day though - if you forget one for a few hours, then you may have spotting a few days later.

Mirena takes about 6 months to settle and it varies from woman to woman as to what that means.

AndieM

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 01:52:56 PM »

Ok thanks
Yes I was thinking femoston  :)
I have had the mirena coil years ago between my 2 children and I seem to remember my periods stopped  completely

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 08:55:13 PM »

Hi
Just a thought, Qlaria would override your own cycle, but as another poster has said, it gives varying doses of o & p throughout the month.
There is another pill called zoely which has bio identical o and a synthetic progesterone but doesn't have varying amounts of o and p, but would override your cycle.

I have taken Femostan- and found the progesterone to be very gentle. The downside of HRT is that it only tops up hormones rather than overrides them so if you are still in peri, then you could still have peaks and troughs.

From what I remember from F1/10, you could take it within 5 days of starting your natural period.

Hope this helps x

AndieM

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:15:15 PM »

Hi MIS71MUM
I'm still thinking about whether I want to take it yet, so would the mirena override my cycle? I find it all very confusing! I have a few weeks until my period is due to think about it and I may wait another month and see how I feel as it's been a stressful few months and I'm not sure if this has been contributing to some of my symptoms.

I keep thinking if I'm early into peri should I wait a while until I take HRT( my doctor was keen for me to start on it from the symptoms I'm getting)
Sorry to waffle on, just not sure what to do :-\

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »

Hi
I've also had the Mirena and although it can control bleeding, it doesn't override your own cycle. So again you may have fluctuations. However if you did go for Mirena, you can have as much oestrogen as suits you.
I'm 46 too - just remember though, your GP probably won't allow the pill beyond the age of 50. So you'll be limited to how long you can stay on it for.
Yes take your time and think about it, also when you start HRT, do a mood diary just so you know how you are feeling, then you can move forward to tweak HRT to suit you personally xxx

AndieM

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 05:33:03 AM »

Hi
I know everyone is different but which one did you find you were more settled on Mirena or Femoston? I would say the psychological problems are affecting me more at the moment, my poor family are getting the brunt of it!
I'm also making mistakes at work which is making me lose confidence, sometimes I can't string a sentence together, it's all v frustrating.
I've been taking Agnus Castus for nearly 3 months to see if if would help with the PMS but after looking at my diary I don't think it has, only made my cycles a little longer.
Lots to think about xx

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 09:05:54 PM »

Hi
Hmmmm it's a hard one. Yes I think Femostan has a good progesterone but you are limited with the oestrogen side, it's either 2mg or 1mg. However I did suffer with the weepiness when I stopped taking the progesterone side, which I suppose is normal as it's supposed to mimic PMT.
The Mirena will probably need 3 to 6 months to settle, will control bleeding, then you can add your Oestrogen in by patch or gel so you can tweak your doseage.
I wasn't on Mirena for 3 months as I ended up having hysterectomy so I never really gave it a fair chance.
Yes my symptoms were worst cognitively and also struggled at work.
Good luck x