Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Cyclogest  (Read 3680 times)

Katia

Cyclogest
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »

I'm wondering if anyone takes this for the progesterone part of the HRT?
What are your ought so on it?
Can anyone offer a comparison on it to Utrogestan?

The Utrogestan is really drying me out. My lady parts seem to have gone completely clean, but a bit waxy. On the positive, my skin is lovely, smooth, clear, but a bit waxy feeling lol. I think it's the utro.

Hurdity

Re: Cyclogest
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 07:32:44 PM »

Hi Katia

yes me - I took it as the progesterone part of my HRT for 4 years. utrogestan wasn't available -  think it was released maybe 2010 but my GP hadn't heard of it as she'd been prescribing Cyclogest for years.

The problem with it is it's not licensed for hRT so the dosage for endometrial protection hasn't been worked out. It comes as waxy pessaries which can also be used as suppositories. I was prescribed 400 mg for 11 days per month. I know this is double the Utrogestan dose but I presumed the formulation meant that more of it was lost (due to the waxy pessary). Anyway it was far too high a dose for me and I used to get very foggy head and migraines most months either during taking it or the withdrawal pms and especially if I had a glass of wine ( and I mean a glass!). I don't know what it would be like with less prog ie a lower dose but prog is prog and they are both bio-identical progesterone so in terms of systemic side effects they would be similar. I would suggest the waxy pessary would be more lubricating as it melted, than the utrogestan so might be worth a try if your GP is willing to prescribe it. Its main use is for fertility purposes and I presume it is still available for this?

It would normally be oestrogen that would improve your skin I would have thought - which has a lot of oestrogen (and androgen) receptors I understand. Not sure about progesterone though?

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Katia

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 08:44:25 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. I'd noticed it was 400mg, but wondered if it was formulated differently.  I'd read a blog post online comparing Cyclogest and Utrogestan. The lady who wrote it decided to go with the Cyclogest. I feel the Utrogestan is too strong and is dehydrating me. Sounds like the Cyclogest would be worse.  If I went to a cycle, roughly how long would I expect the bleed to last?  It seemed like on the third day off the utro the lubrication was coming back, but hard to be sure because of the bleed.

Maybe it is the estrogen that's making my skin good, it's not as dry as when I was taking the Femodene pill which I'm really liking.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:21:57 PM »

When I was prescribed it I was given 200 mg pessaries so I used to put one up the front and the other up the back! (sorry if TMI). I don;t know what the effect of 200 mg would be. Towards the end (after 4 years) and when I was post-menopause at around 57 - I did't get a monthly bleed any more so the progesterone was obviously quite strong and my lining not thickening. Hence the decision to go to a longer cycle - but I only did this (with agreement from GP) after changing to 200 mg utrogestan x 12 days per month.

Noone can say when you will expect a bleed when you change regime - as it depends on so many factors. If your doc is agreeable why not give it a go? You can always switch back after a few months if you don't like it.

Hurdity x

Katia

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 10:18:46 AM »

I wonder what the effect of 200mg cyclogest will be too.  The utrogestan just seems to be dehydrating my whole body.  Just thinking aloud, I wonder if the side effects of more would be worse, or no different.  I feel it's just too strong for me.  I opened one up to have a look and it's thick like glue. If I spread a bit on my hand it's the same waxy texture as any lubrication coating my vagina. I'm also noticing my hair going thinner with it.   The consultant wants me to come off everything for a week and my GP to do blood tests to see if I am going through the menopause or not. I hate all this switching about of hormones.  My body likes them to be pretty consistent.   He thinks I'm not menopausal, but I find that a bit hard to believe at 50.