Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Smear tests  (Read 2258 times)

Silly

Smear tests
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:32:50 AM »

Just wondering how people get on with smear tests with atrophy.  I know people use oestrogen to be able to have one but yesterday after the GUM lady checked me she said no way can I do one she said it would be agony so has recommended sedative or something at the hospital to see if I can have one done, now there's another worry  :o

dahliagirl

Re: Smear tests
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 09:42:57 AM »

Blimey - a sedative seems a bit OTT   :o

Surely a course of vagifem (plus continuing prescription) should do it? [disclaimer - no expert  ;) ]

Cecelia

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 11:18:09 AM »

When I had a smear a few weeks ago I warned the nurse I was a little nervous due to my va. Turned out to be unfounded as it was the most painless smear test I'd  ever had .

Silly

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 11:28:22 AM »

I think also I'm geared up mentally for it hurting.  I think the stirrup way seems easier for me somehow I don't think the usual way  ;) helps me much.

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 11:39:47 AM »

Someone I no had to kiss vagifem every night for 4 months before a smear could be done then was ok.

Also they can use the virgin speculum no need at all for anything bigger , as per my gynae. What they don't tell us. ☹️

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 11:42:36 AM »

Someone I no had to kiss vagifem every night for 4 months before a smear could be done then was ok.

Does that make it work better?  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »

I would fore-go the smear test (booked for 2 weeks' time and wondering whether KY Jelly will be used) if I had to give up my VA treatment.  On the info. I was sent it tells me not to use any lubricant and avoid sex for 3 nights prior to the test.

Have you been referred Guinea?  I can't think a sedative would make much difference if access is likely to be difficult  ::). However, go along to the appt., remembering that you don't have to agree to the smear but it is an opportunity of discussing what state our nethers are in ;-)

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »

Dahliagirl 🤣 as I think most realise by now I don't read my posts  back before posting 🙈

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »

Is such a long break from treatment really necessary!  :-\   :o

Silly

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 12:44:54 PM »

Hi,

I can see a lot can relate to the problem, at least we can chat on here about it.  I've made appointment for smear for Tuesday, the nurse who always does them is good I have to try that's the trouble with me I can't not try.  Receptionist said she will book a longer time for me, at least I can say x small speculum, with lubrication and a cushion seems to help rather than being so flat, plus to try to be quick before muscles go mad  ::)  If it's not possible I know so hospital will have to see.  The GUM lady is writing to GP advising them I'm due for smear and to refer me CLKD.  She also checked L S area and is checking the area in six months which I was pleased about, as my gp hasn't heard of LS.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 12:52:47 PM »

Make sure that you enforce your concerns to the Nurse ;-)

Silly

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 04:40:31 PM »

Yeah I will.  I'll report back on Tuesday it can go either way can't it.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 05:36:24 PM »

..... and another appt. can be made!

Silly

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 12:48:21 PM »

:)I had it done I'm really proud of myself and relieved it's done.  A lot was down to the lovely nurse and I made sure she knew it afterwards.  She made sure the bed was raised at my head a cushion under me, an x small speculum which she said she would only insert to here and showed me with lubrication and she did it before muscles went mad.  She said if it comes back insufficient we know we can get through it and do it again with her.  I'm amazed really it wasn't sore inside like I worried, it's the vulva outside which is so bad not inside I guess that the L S but  since putting dermovate on last Thursday it feels better.  She commented things have fused over at the top.  She told me to stay laying down because I looked shattered.  Just glad it's done really.

dahliagirl

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »

There are some really nice nurses around  :)