Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT containing pregnant mare urine...  (Read 2526 times)

Frannie

HRT containing pregnant mare urine...
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:27:54 PM »

If you are happy with your HRT treatment, please forgive me for bringing this up.

However, I was personally shocked to learn that pregnant mare urine is used in many HRT drugs.  As a vegetarian, verging on vegan, I was actually really upset about it!  I consider myself generally quite knowledgeable about my health, but this was a real shocker and I'd never heard about it before.

Could someone let me know if Vagifem contains PMU?  And if not, what is in it?  The ingredients lists of these products are certainly not explicit enough about what is contained in these drugs.

Secondly, is there an up to date list of HRT drugs which do and don't contain PMU?  I can only find bits and pieces of information.

Taz2

Re: HRT containing pregnant mare urine...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:37:16 PM »

The HRT preparations using PMU are the older types although many women get on well with these. This the list of HRT preparations from the menu at the top of the screen https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

The estrogen in Vagifem is synthetic so you don't have to worry on that score. This is from their site

"DESCRIPTION

Vagifem 10 mcg (estradiol vaginal inserts) are small, white, film-coated tablets containing 10.3 mcg of estradiol hemihydrate equivalent to 10 mcg of estradiol. Vagifem 25 mcg (estradiol vaginal inserts) are small, white, film-coated tablets containing 25.8 mcg of estradiol hemihydrate equivalent to 25 mcg of estradiol. Each tablet of Vagifem 10 mcg and 25 mcg contains the following excipients: hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, maize starch and magnesium stearate. The film coating contains hypromellose and polyethylene glycol. Each Vagifem tablet is 6 mm in diameter and is placed in a disposable applicator. Each tablet-filled applicator is packaged separately in a blister pack. Vagifem tablets are used intravaginally. When the tablet comes in contact with the vaginal mucosa, estradiol is released into the vagina.

Estradiol hemihydrate is a white, almost white or colorless crystalline solid, chemically described as estra-1,3,5 (10)-triene-3,17β-diol. The chemical formula is C18H24O •½ H2O with a molecular weight of 281.4."

Taz x

Frannie

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »

Thank you for the information. x

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 05:30:45 PM »

PMU = conjugated oestrogens and is usually in preparations where the name gives it away, eg premarin, but as TAZ says they are being phased out now.

I think the bio identical ones used now are made from yams?