Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: I'm new - just started Indivina HRT and looking for others' advice  (Read 4609 times)

Joanieh

Hi, I turned 50 last month which coincided with me being one year menses free. For the last 3 years, I have been feeling not myself - my anxiety levels had risen, my libido has gone through the floor and although I amn't getting hot flushes per se, I do have hot moments and like to sleep with one leg outside the quilt. Also, my feelings of rage were taking over my work life (it also coincided with starting in a new job and dealing with some pretty manipulative characters). So 2 weeks ago, my rock bottom libido and my unbalanced feelings of rage prompted me to go to my GP and request HRT. He was all for it - said it also helps prevent osteo, good for hair/nails ets, so he prescribed Indivina. I expected to immediately feel better, but am actually feeling worse. I am much hotter than I have been (today was my 7th day taking the tablet), I am flaked with tiredness (home from work and want to go straight to bed) and my libido is still where it was. I am also really irritable even more than normal. Am I expecting too much from HRT? It is a low dose. I am so glad I found this forum - I don't have anyone I can talk to about this. Thanks :D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: I'm new - just started Indivina HRT and looking for others' advice
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 03:41:58 PM »

At least you have a GP who will listen and not fob you off!   :welcomemm:  browse round, make notes.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:52:54 PM »

Hi joanieh

:welcomemm: from me too.

The recommended time is three months for being on a particular HRT type before you can say whether it is working for you. Seven days is very early days! If you are on the 1 mg then that is a low dose. Oral HRT tends to take a bit longer to eliminate flushes and sweats than transdermal ( patches or gel).

Tablet HRT has more of a depressive effect in libido due to interaction with another compound in the body, ditto continuous progestogens  (as in the HRT you are taking) - which are designed to prevent a bleed when taken all the time, can also depress libido. On the other hand some women find that the testosterone related progestogens in some HRT types (not the one that you're on) actually increase libido. I wouldn't have thought you would notice any changes in libido in any case for several weeks - if there is going to be any!

Many women like myself use hormones that are identical in structure to the hormones in our own bodies - estradiol and progesterone and when the balance is right, try to obtain testosterone, if libido isn't improved through raising oestrogen alone. Most of us who do this continue with a menstrual cycle ( false period) to mimic what happens naturally and to avoid having to take continuous progestogens.

Hope this has been helpful but may be not what you wanted to hear! Come back with more questions if you need to.

Hurdity x

Joanieh

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 02:08:51 PM »

Thanks CLKD - it's a great source of information:-)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 02:13:24 PM »

You are very welcome.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful to chart how they feel, it's easy to forget on those days we feel 'better'  ::)

Joanieh

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 02:13:41 PM »

Hurdity - thank you so much. It's al so new. I am actually feeling a bit better today, albeit a bit tired as I had a late night last night, but haven't been feeling hot or cranky:-)
I would so love to revive my libido though. I will keep going with this for now and see what happens.
Thanks so much for the offer of asking more questions - I may well do that xx