Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Have to take antibiotics and terrified because of emetophobia!  (Read 9264 times)

jessieblue

So as it turns out I have to take fluxloxacillin for my bee sting which has turned nasty.  I am honestly near breakdown point at the moemnt.  I feel stuck between my fear of any new drug in case it causes vomiting.  I am an emetophobe and I know some of you on here are also.  Does anyone else have a fear of taking things like antibiotics?  Honestly it may as well be chemotherapy the way I feel right now!  I have had amoxicillin many times before and penecillin a while ago which I tolerated ok.  I am so scared it will make my acid reflux worse too.  Also when i had penecillin before i ended up with a uti after which can apparenly happen!  So Im scared on so many levels right now its just rediculous!  I dont know how to cope.  I really dont.  Have taken one tablet and already feeling nauseous, but that could be the anxiety about it all.  I have to take 7 days 4 x per day.

Annie0710

Re: Have to take antibiotics and terrified because of emetophobia!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 04:45:49 PM »

Take exactly as directed, I made the mistake of not reading the directions recently

Keep drinking plenty too to ward off a possible UTI x

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 04:52:56 PM »

My GD has been in hospital for a few days on IV antibiotics and now oral for the next week , IV because her infection took hold.

Take the antibiotics, get yourself a really good quality probiotic something like symprove.

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »

Ooh yes good thinking Maryjane

coldethyl

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 06:09:16 PM »

Read the instructions- it's quite explicit for that particular drug- take tablet 1hr before food or 2hrs after- I have recently completed course- occasionally felt bit queasy first couple of days but soon settled down- eat probiotic natural yogurt and plenty of fluids- if you are concerned about UTI afterwards, my oncology nurse recommends lemon barley water as a good system flush. Far better to nip this infection in bud early than end up on IV antibiotics with even greater impact on body systems.

jessieblue

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 06:55:40 PM »

Hi and thanks everyone.  I have taken first two tablets and I have some probiotics to take.  Hope they are good ones.  I also have bio yoghurt which I will take.  I think when I last took penecillin I had to take at similar times, on an empty stomach.  I hate taking on an empty stomach as they can be more harsh.  I find all this terrifying.  I know that makes me a whimp.

Mbrown001

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »

Not a wimp at all.

My hubby never reads the information leaflet. In fact I had that kind of conversation with my sisters GP today. He said if you read all the leaflets in detail you would never take any pill at all.

I do understand as I'm much the same as you and generally try to avoid a lot of meds.
I do manage ABs by taking the probiotics and as the other ladies have said following the instructions to the letter.
I always keep myself going by saying ....I can stop whenever I want and no one is forcing me....I will then take just one more and then before you know it....the course has been finished.

I'm sure you will do just fine.

Mrs Brown

cubagirl

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 09:41:05 PM »

My last lot of ABs really made me ill, despite following instructions. I have such a problem with them & dread ever needing again. I have noted ones which I can tolerate, but it's not always possible as different ones treat different things.

You're not a wimp. None of us wants to take something which will possibly have adverse effects.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 10:31:50 AM »

You will be OK!  If you can't take all the Course then don't worry too much but do tell your GP.  Don't take the pro-biotic until the Course if finished then top up the good bacteria with what ever takes your fancy.

Have you been given an anti-histamine for the bee sting?

Generally an AB will knock a urinary tract infection on the head if the sample has been tested.  If one develops after a course of ABs then it hasn't done it's job!  Certain ABs are specific to certain 'bugs', hence the need to have a sample 'grown'.

How do you feel this morning?   Eat when you can.  Ginger biscuits/tea can help, graze even in the night!

jessieblue

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 02:09:51 PM »

Thanks CLKD.  I was doing really well.  Woke up after a really good nights sleep and my foot was half the size it was yesterday so they seem to be doing the trick.  I felt fine and ate breakfast did housework etc.  Then while i was out I felt a bit queasy.  I had to take another one at 2pm so was scared in case it made me feel worse.  I did feel a bit sick but made myself come home and eat a bit and have a cuppa.  I dont feel 100% am a bit bloated but I can feel sick every day anyway and when Im anxious I always feel sick so its hard to know.  Im so afraid I will be violently ill.  I have taken 6 tablets so far so Im doing ok.   Interesting what you say about the uti because when I had my last one it was just after a week of penicillin for a throat infection.  But I had had a uti a couple of months before that was treated with only 3 days of trimethoprim and although I didnt have raging symptoms, I wasnt quite right so it may be that there was still a bug lurking.  I finally had a 10 day course of ciprofloxacin which I was also terrified of but actually didnt make me sick or have the runs.  I|t did make my anxiety intense though and I havent recovered from that ever since.  \i hate taking antibiotics with a passion.  Damn bee........!  I have had penecillin and amoxicillin many times before but never fluloxacillin.....well that I remember.  I did have mastitis after my DS was born so may have had it then but I dont remember as didnt have anxiety then!  I always think this antibiotic will be the one that makes me sick!  I like it when they give me one of my "approved" ones! Lol.  Need a break from this crap really. Thanks to you all once again. xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 03:07:58 PM »

Oh I like safe ABs and still eat safe foods  :-\

Is the leg elevated?

Maryjane

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »

It's very important to finish a antibiotic course as that's how resistance happens , unfortunately this is an area I no about and wish I didn't .

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 05:08:50 PM »

I don't often need one but Flucloxacillin Trimethoprim Amoxycillin and Cephalexin are ones I can use without problems.  The ones that make me ill and Metronidazole and Erythromycin. I am chemical intolerant and try not to get in a situation where I need antibiotics if I can help it. I can't remember when I last had one, about 6 years ago I think  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »

However Mary if an AB makes me so ill that I can't eat/drink/take it, what's a Girl to do  :-\

Maryjane

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 07:38:12 PM »

Yes I understand CLKD 😏 Just with an infected potential open wound , re what can happen ....I would carry on .

As stopping mid way allows bugs to mutate and take hold , if possible take them through the 24 hour clock aka every 6 hours , sit up/ propped up for at least an hour re reflux.

Pages: [1] 2