Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Heating Systems  (Read 7196 times)

Honey

Heating Systems
« on: July 05, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »

Hi everyone. 
We are removing our storage heaters and off peak meter because the electricity bills are so high and we freeze in the evening.  A guy from a company beginning with F has just given us a quote for £5,400 for supplying and fitting 3 heaters.  He did a long pitch, gave me 48 hours to make up my mind and would not give a detailed breakdown with pictures or anything. Needless to say we will not be buying.

My question is: does anyone on here have an electrical heating system and if so, can you let me know your experiences.

Thank you very much.
Honey

Mbrown001

Re: Heating Systems
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »

Is there no gas in your area. It's much more efficient and a lot cheaper.

We had storage heaters when we moved into our last house. We sweltered overnight and froze in the daytime....and they cost a bloomin fortune.  We had them taken away and put gas in.

Even if you have to pay for a gas supply into your house....then it might be worth considering.

Mrs Brown

cubagirl

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »

Our daughter has storage heaters in their house. Very expensive. But it's rented so they have no choice.

Gas is much cheaper.

Any chance you could get alternative quotes Honey?

Honey

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 01:16:24 PM »

Hi thank you for responding.  Unfortunately there is no mains gas in this area.  Oil is not an option really as the tank has to be in front of house and there is not enough room.  It is very difficult to get unbiased and honest advice re energy these days.  I'm researching on Martin Lewis' web page which seems the most informative and fair.  Looking into other quotes too. xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »

Do you have space anywhere for a wood burning or pelleted stove, one that could heat hot water and radiators?  I would suggest getting a local builder in ...... not one of the guys working for the 'big' companies but a local.  Do you have a village shop or local weekly 'rag' with adverts.?  We have used a small family-run firm for years (+35) who has done most of our inside and outside work [but he doesn't know about the wood burner yet  :D].

Also, ring a few companies that service heating boilers.  A good Company will attend, look round your property as a whole and make suggestions regarding what is available in your area.  Again we use a small family run firm.  We have oil as a main fuel wth electricity for lighting/cooking.  Gas is piped into the street but it costs £1,000+ to run 150 feet into the house plus we would require new valves and a new cooker.  So we stuck to oil.

Ignore blown air heating, it causes a draft  :D.  Otherwise, start knitting ?  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 06:49:11 PM »

Difficult. We have oil warm air heating. When we moved here in 1986, we assumed we would have to shell out for a new heating system, but managed to sort this system out. And CLKD, it doesn't create a draught! It's great and very efficient in drying washing in the winter. My sister had gas warm air heating, which was not efficient. Our boiler is enormous, but housed in the large garage and heating engineers (chosen with care) seem determined to keep it going. Apparently, they don't make them like they did in the old days! (40 years old). But one day it will stop never to go again and then we will have to make a decision on what kind of heating system to install, so I will be interested in your research. We don't have access to gas, but do have room for a tank.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 10:46:51 AM »

Years ago our oil tank which had been housed in our boiler room had to be removed to outdoors!  The new one arrived on a crane  ::) [long story short].  It has to be double-bunted and is probably not situated legally under current regs., being too close to both properties.  It also smells at times  :-\.  Propane gaz cylinders have to be seen by the delivery driver  ::).  Wood has to be ordered, delivered then wheel-barrowed round to the wood store  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 03:10:31 PM »

I don't think that any are sold that aren't double bonded.  There wouldn't be much point and a house holder wouldn't buy one without advice as they have to be installed by a Registered Man-Who-Knows  ;)

The worry was that our metal tank which was then over 25 years old would snap ...... so the Company refused to deliver until it was re-sited incase the oil ran into the drain  ::).  No letter from the Company to warn us  :o.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »

I've done a search as you do: there is one metal 'single skinned' tank 4 sale at over £300.00.  It wouldn't be my choice other than to store water in  ::) .........

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 05:46:06 PM »

Predictive text  :-[

We also have an immersion for topping up or using in the Summer months.  Radiators have valves on so that they can be turned down to a back-ground heat if that makes sense  :-\

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 06:01:58 PM »

When we moved here, we had huge a rusty one tank. Now have a plastic one. We were told that they were going to bring gas to the area. Not happened in the 30 years we've lived here. We've in a syndicate and get our oil at a cheaper rate.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »

The syndicate didn't work for us, it was more expensive than what we were already paying  ::) and our tank was never empty at the same time as the other 6/7 peoples' tanks  :D

Honey

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 07:20:30 PM »

Thank you very much for your advice ladies.  I am going to speak to local companies about stoves with back boilers and also look into oil warm heating. We cd possibly bury the tank in our small front garden. I will get prices and compare with the massive electricity costs. xx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 09:11:28 PM »

One doesn't bury a tank it has to be accessible .......... let us know how you get on!

An AGA ?  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 10:01:33 AM »

I learns something new every day, I does ...........  ;D.  It would take a Big Digger to dig a hole large enough, may I have a go  :D
Pages: [1] 2