Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Update on Intrusive thoughts, steroids and HRT  (Read 3472 times)

MammaG

Update on Intrusive thoughts, steroids and HRT
« on: July 01, 2017, 11:19:02 PM »

Hi ladies, wanted to update just incase there are any ladies who may take a steroid/Pred on HRT. Long story before but was basically plunged acutely to the brink of a total mental breakdown on 11 April 4 days after stopping 2 weeks of oral Steroids and the start of the Utrogestan time of the month.

I just went back to the Dr, a man this time bless him. Unlike the first one( female ) who thought I was just nuts he actually "heard" me.

I went through the calendar and my mental blip was 4 days after stopping a round of Steroids. He signed me off for a month saying I just needed to step out of everything. Boy was he right. That month I had very little sustained improvement but tried to soldier on with the HRT. I came off everything totally about 3 weeks after being signed off.

I went back and he signed me off for another month. He listened intently and said he thinks I am right. He thinks the Steroid pushed the Estrogen so high my body couldnt tolerate it. I said I feel like my filter broke and he laughed.

I am signed off until 24/07. Today I am about 2 weeks HRT free. Today I felt so much better. Not better but worried the intrusive thoughts would return but better. It feels like the trauma has passed and I am healing.

As I said before had I not known about intrusive thoughts I would have begged them to lock me up. This was identical to severe PND.

He said he is confident eventually it will all calm down. He also said he was out of his depth and it was all too complicated for him to understand. I applaud that really. I felt more secure hearing that than the other female GP's attitude which left me with the impression its me just being bonkers. Endocronologist is out of the question. There simply is no meno clinic. He sat there in total confusion as to what to do with me. I had to kind of let him off the hook by saying I can take it from here.

I have taken steroids on many occasions and taken HRT. I have taken them together without issue but probably not the weeks of Utrogestan looking back.

I wanted to post about the possible interactions of both together incase anyone out there suffers like this. Would not wish those intrusive thoughts on my worst enemy  :'( I may just have been unlucky this time but God the fear was overwhelming.

On the plus side too I have had a good long look at my life, job ( work at home alone), finances ect and applied for 3 full time jobs outside of the home. I know what I need to change and now this wake up call has made me see why.

I plan to stay off the HRT and see how I feel at the end of the month.

Much love to you wonderful women xx

babyjane

Re: Update on Intrusive thoughts, steroids and HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:20:21 AM »

thanks for the update, hope you soon feel much better and good luck with the job hunting.

There is a thread called 'The Road Less Travelled' started by a member called Tempest which is for ladies for whom HRT does not work.  You may be interested to read some of the posts there for support.

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35861.msg574240.html#msg574240

All the best from me  :foryou:

Tempest

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »

Oh, MammaG! What a time you've had, bless you! I was so worried for you, as I've been there before myself. Funnily enough (but there was nothing funny about it really) one of the worse times I had was on Tibolone, which is HRT but in fact also a form of steroid too! :o

Please do pop over to The Road Less Travelled thread, as BJ says (thank you, BJ). I'll be bumping the thread anyway to see how the other ladies are getting on but I know a couple of them are away and doing well on alternative treatments (Alesia and Edelweiss).

Sending you biggest hugs. xxxxx

MammaG

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 11:42:24 AM »

Thanks BJ and Tempest, I will pop over.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »

Did your GP suggest that an endocrinologist is not appropriate ......... you could of course send a personal e-mail to Dr Currie for advice?

MammaG

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »

It wasnt that he thought it was inappropriate as much as he wouldnt know what to say on the referral I think.

Bless him, he was struggling to keep up with what I was saying to him and admitted he didnt know what to do but give my system time to calm down. I think he was right because I am so much better. Still I would have liked to have a look at my hormone levels, my DHEA, T etc. I swear if I came into money I would create my own lab.