Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Medroxyprogesterone - Provera  (Read 1763 times)

2cats

Medroxyprogesterone - Provera
« on: July 01, 2017, 06:56:59 AM »

Hi,

I changed to Medroxyprogesterone 10mg for last 14 days of cycle a few months ago and it seems to have really helped with my anxiety as it decreased rapidly from starting the pills.  I was also ok emotionally too - no pmt, fairly calm etc.  However, I'm not sure if this isn't changing, as now when I take it, I can feel the  agitation building in me until a couple of days after stopping it (though anixety is still much much lower).

My question is - is it possible to take it monthly but for less days at a time (not 14) to try and lessen the emotional effects?

Also, with the last few progesterones I have tried, my period always comes whilst taking it (by about day 9) not as a withdrawal bleed once progesterone is stopped.  Does anyone else have this happen?

Thanks in advance for any advice and comments,
 :)

Hurdity

Re: Medroxyprogesterone - Provera
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 07:42:12 PM »

Hi 2cats

I'm not quite sure why MPA is listed as being needed for 14 days especially as progesterone itself is only needed for 12 days. Research has shown that if a progestogen is taken for 12 days (depending on the dose of progestogen and the dose of oestrogen) this can eliminate the incidence of endometrial hyperplasia which is the first stage that in a small number of cases can lead to cancer. 10 days is the absolute minimum and if taken for 7 days there has been shown to be a low incidence ( ie there is a risk) of endometrial hyperplasia. Of the top of my head in one study, I seem to remember a figure of 4 % (when used for 7 days only per month).

Are you taking this through a GP recommendation or consultant? Could you ask for a referral to a menopause clinic? I am sure 10 days would be adequate for some women especially on a low/medium dose of oestrogen but this would need to be supervised - at least in the first instance to see how your endometrium responds? Could you go to your GP and then ask for a scan after 6 months - due to progesterone intolerance - although on NHS this is unlikely as there needs to be a clinical reason eg abnormal bleeding or pain.

Alternatively you could try an e-mail consultation with Dr Currie - it only costs £25 and then take her recommendation you your GP?

I know Dana takes Provera on a cyclical basis (although I think she is on a longer cycle than monthly) so if she doesn't see this maybe do a search or pm her?

Hurdity x

Dana

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 09:31:40 PM »

The dose of Provera seems to be quite variable depending on the individual. I'm post meno and on a 50mcg estradot patch. My GP prescribed 5mg for half the monthso I take the 5mg for 12 days every second month.

That has always worked quite well for me, but a while ago I got a bit concerned about whether it was enough because the "standard" dose seems to be 10mg for 14 days. I spoke with pharmacist and it was she who said there really wasn't a one size fits all dose. She said as long as what you are taking is giving a bleed and you're not getting any break through bleeding or no abnormal bleeds like clots or dark in colour, that it should be okay.

If you are peri meno though I don't know if this will be applicable to uou though.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:34:23 PM by Dana »

yriches65

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »

How do you get a email consultation with Dr Currie ??

Thanks

Y x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:49:38 AM »

Home page of website. Scroll halfway down. Follow instructions.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/index.php

Hurdity x