Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New and looking for help and info  (Read 922 times)

weathergirl

New and looking for help and info
« on: June 29, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »

This forum seems a very helpful group of women!  I'm about a year post-meno (as far as I know) and off/on the fence in regard to use of HRT.  I'm currently using it but not really sure I want to be.  Like many posts I have seen, it's the progesterone part that I have difficulties with.  Hoping to get some helpful info from others as to how they have dealt with menopause (as a whole) and what methods they used to handle specific menopause symptoms.  Thank you!

Hurdity

Re: New and looking for help and info
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 03:55:53 PM »

Hi weathergirl

:welcomemm:

You are classed as post-menopausal when you have been without a natural period for 12 months - and before starting any HRT. Once you start HRT then it is impossible to say - although if your periods were only occasional then you may well have been near the end!

I am one of those who started HRT before menopause - at just under 54 and have been on it for 10 years - and for me it is the best thing I did (although I have no idea what would have happened had I not done so!), in terms of eliminating symptoms and enabling me to enjoy life generally. I stayed with a monthly cycle for about 4 years, came off it for 3 months then tried continuous combined for 6 months before settling on my current regime which is a long cycle regime (OK'ed by my GP) - taking utrogestan vaginally every 6-8 weeks.

I did try herbal remedies for a while before starting HRT (Black Cohosh, phyto-oestrogen diet) but they didn't work. The only thing that stopped flushes and sweats was HRT!

Keeping weight within normal BMI range, and cutting caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods are all supposed to help minimise the discomfort of hot flushes - but won't actually stop them.

What symptoms do you want help with?

Hurdity x

weathergirl

Re: New and looking for help and info
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:29:23 PM »

Hurdity, thank you!  Yes, I'm in the same boat as I started before I was officially in meno so have no idea if I've really passed through.  Some say it doesn't matter.  But I think knowing when is useful from a medical/medical history standpoint. I'm still figuring out what I want/need to do going forward as regards HRT.  Kind of wish I'd really waited to use it until I knew I was post-meno.  :(  At any rate, such as it is!  Sounds like you have figured out a regimen that works very well for you and that's great.  I think that's really all anyone wants - to feel good and as 'normal' and like themselves as they can! 

I don't have any specific horrible symptoms - some joint aches, not feeling as restored as I want to after a night's sleep, just generally feeling I'm getting 'older'.  I know some of this is indeed part of aging.  Other stuff like having a little extra weight in the waist area that I gradually gained during the years leading up to meno are frustrating, but again, short of starving myself (will not do) I exercise regularly and eat wisely most of the time.

I will look through the posts and see what is helpful.  Thank you!