Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: vaginally atrophy  (Read 2930 times)

Chrissiecroy

vaginally atrophy
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:59:46 PM »

Need advice please
Having started going thru menopause 7 years ago. My immediate problem is thinning skin.  I have been on replens cream for some time, now have oestrogen pessaries. None of which seem to be helping. Doc today gave me oestin for direct use as problem is on 'outside'  I am in agony. Tried ice pack etc. All advice welcome  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: vaginally atrophy
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 10:29:46 PM »

Oh poor you!  Replens won't replace the oestrogen, which pessaries have you been given?  Vagifem probably needs an extra 1 inserted on alternate nights? as the dose was cut a few years back.  As well as Ovestin oestrogen replacement into the vagina I use KY Jelly on the outside lips regularly, other ladies here find Sylc helpful - I'm sure that they will be along soon.  In the mean time take a pain relief tablet, I use Nurofen

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:19:56 PM »

Is it Vagifem you have been prescribed, if so have you done the initial two week load?

Chrissiecroy

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:24:53 PM »

Yep vagifem. Done the 2 week every day. Then 2 weekly.  Could feel that wasnt good so was using every other night But this past week has been horrendous. So back to docs and the oestin cream prescribed.  The doc says everything looks as it should. I find that odd, but as i cant see it lol. The problem seems worst on the outside which seems to be why the pessaries not working. It actually feels like raw wound. Walking and sitting a problem. I would laugh if I wasn't crying  will give Ky a go. Get it more from chemist. Thanks

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:35:57 PM »

Do you mean Ovestin  :-\ if so this needs applying every night for 2-3 weeks initially  .........  the whole area can become thin and dry so it's important to keep the outer lips moist all the while.

Jenna

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 06:47:10 AM »

Hi Chrissiecroy - has the Dr now given you Ovestin instead of Vagifem? If so, you need to use the applicator to insert the Ovestin into the vagina and then use what is left in the applicator on the outside area where you feel uncomfortable. If the Dr has given you Vagifem and Ovestin, then use the Vagifem as normal and the Ovestin externally, as and when the Dr said.

If you want to use a moisturiser on the exterior parts, when not using Ovestin, then Yes water-based or Yes VM would probably be the most helpful for getting moisture to the area and making you feel more comfortable.

I hope that helps!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »

:thankyou:  Jenna - much clearer!

Jenna

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 10:37:42 AM »

Oh thank you CLKD - just through trial and error as we would say!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 10:38:57 AM »

Yep. 

Chrissiecroy

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »

Thank you. Am using both vagifem internally and Ovestin externally. Have to use both for 2 weeks every night. It's easing off slightly so my fingers are crossed but not my legs lol.  Giving the area as much air as I can hee hee. Dab and not wipe.  Not things you think about until you need to. Will give the gel a try for extra moisture  thanks all

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 12:46:41 PM »

Let us know how you get on.  Once you get the moisture levels 'right' for you, treatment needs to be continued. 

Suzi Q

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 12:57:05 PM »

Need advice please
Having started going thru menopause 7 years ago. My immediate problem is thinning skin.  I have been on replens cream for some time, now have oestrogen pessaries. None of which seem to be helping. Doc today gave me oestin for direct use as problem is on 'outside'  I am in agony. Tried ice pack etc. All advice welcome  :'(
As CLKD said sounds like one a night i do that.
Outside i found over the counter Nilstat was great for me
Using Vagifem takes a wee while to work outside try nilstatin or nystatin or ask for ovestin x