Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vit D supplement in the summer  (Read 4468 times)

Mbrown001

Vit D supplement in the summer
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:44:18 AM »

Do those of you who supplement continue during the summer months.

My area hasn't had that much sun so I've continued but hopefully the weather will improve.

Any thoughts.

Mrs Brown

nearly50

Re: Vit D supplement in the summer
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:16:58 AM »

Yes I do Mrs Brown, but my levels are still relatively low at 70nmol/L, plus I'm rarely out in the sun near midday. When abroad I use sunscreen so don't get much then either.My skin type means I don't produce a huge amount of vitamin d too.

this is quite a good link

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/

samweller161

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:59:07 AM »

Hi there, my meno consultant said definitely to take the high amount (5000mg) during November to March but I take it every day (you can get a years supply from Amazon).  I also have Vitamin B12 which seems to be helping with fatigue (in the day) and improving sleep (at night).  She did say that everybody should take a minimum of 400mg Vit D all year though.

I am a pale as Persil!  So am either red or white quite frankly - I rarely sit in direct sunlight ....

SP x

Mbrown001

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »

I think I will continue taking it during the summer.

I do like the sun when we get it but I don't let it on my face as its aging and I don't want to end up like a walnut as I do tan easily. Max 20 mins without protection with sun cream but never on my face. I've already had a little growth burned off.
Heck its difficult isn't it.

The risk of skin cancer or low vit D.

Bit of a minefield really.

Mrs Brown
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:09:44 AM by Mbrown001 »

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 10:09:09 AM »

I usually keep taking it as the summers are too hit and miss. Since getting very low, I am more aware of my levels dropping.  I usually double up for the winter months. However, I have been in and out a lot in the middle of the day doing the garden over the last couple of weeks, and we have had a lot of sun.  There is no substitute for real sun  :sunny: and I am now going a pale beige between the freckles.

I have had a stiff neck and feet in bed for a few days so have added magnesium - you are supposed to get this from fruit and vegetables.  I have read that if you increase your vit D, your magnesium gets used up and you can get a temporary dip.  I don't take magnesium all the time coz it messes up my bowels, but I have a spray which I can use on my stiff feet and neck.  It is disgustingly sticky though. :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »

Does 1 Vitamin need another for up-take?  I found magnesium when used in high dosage for a persistent cough caused me to visit the loo more than I expected  :o ::) - how does 1 know if the level is low, blood test?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:20:31 AM by CLKD »

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »

My son who has just turned 16 had Vitamin D levels in his boots according to his paediatrician recently.
He is on prescribed supplements but she did tell him to get his shirt off every morning in the garden....bit difficult he was either at school or in bed....my teens don't like mornings  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 11:26:49 AM »

Man after my own heart then  ;D

Elizabethrose

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »

A consultant dermatologist I saw advised Vit D all year for those who burn and high SPF at all times. We discussed how many people he sees with melanoma which is drastically on the increase even in those who tan easily. He despaired of those who don't use any form of protection because "they didn't need it" and in his words, 'those old enough to know better who think that tanned skin is more attractive. Let me tell you, advanced skin cancer is not terribly attractive!'

He was preaching to the converted, factor 60 for me, splash it all over, just like Henry Cooper with his Brut!! x

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »

I hate sun cream and go out in a hat and shirt (with neck protection) if I am having a day out in this weather.  I have always kept well covered because I burn easily.  Sun cream is a godsend for bits that stick out - I have a tube of factor 50 in my handbag in case I get caught out (along with my spare knickers and emergency biscuit etc  ;) )

However, since my vit D levels got so low, I am doing five minutes here and there in the garden, when the shadows are short.  It is plenty if you are very pale.

CLKD - the magnesium question is a bit blurry - I read somewhere that it is the lack of magnesium that causes the painful joints you get with vitamin D deficiency because the two work together. (Maybe there is some info on the vitD council website?) However, if you take vit D and increase your blood levels, it uses up the magnesium and you go back to aching again a couple of weeks later.  For me it is a particular sort of ache - in the neck and hands and feet and it goes into the hips when it gets bad.  I get stuck in a position and it hurts to move - when it got bad, I was going to bed as I could not sit up in the evenings and hold my head up.  Last week, my feet were slightly 'pinned down' by the blanket on the bottom of the bed and when I woke in the night they were sort of fixed into position and I had to help them move - it hurt  :(  but the magnesium spray seemed to help and it has gone away again.  It may be something else, but I have had tests for arthritis and it wasn't that.  If I come up with other ideas I will go back to the doctor - they never seem to be interested once their tests have come back negative, but it still hurts just as much.

Magnesium supplements also act as a laxative (think Milk of Magnesia  ::) )  There are some more expensive ones in H&B that are supposed to be better, but I am not going there.  You should really be getting enough from your green leafy veg etc.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 01:12:29 PM »

Is it diagnosed by a blood test  :-\ and what symptoms would 1 go to the GP about?

nearly50

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 01:14:27 PM »

Is it diagnosed by a blood test  :-\ and what symptoms would 1 go to the GP about?

Yes, GP did mine a couple of years ago because of joint pain and being exhausted. Paid for private testing this year to see if levels had gone up.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 01:16:17 PM »

You and me both Daliagirl, I hate suncream with a vengeance but needs must. Can't wait to shower the darn stuff off and feel clean and hate the way it stains your clothes!! One of the reasons why I hate the summer!!

Have you tried taking a combined Vit D and magnesium supplement or does that upset your tummy too? x

PS Mention of your emergency biscuit never fails to make me smile!! I've just eaten an emergency piece of lemon tart with a dollop of raspberry cream!!  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »

:thankyou:  I haven't those symptoms and we walk a lot from mid-Feb. so I get brown hands/wrists/face early on. 

:lol:  where's mine!?!  >hands over plate< .......

dahliagirl

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2