Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Our big anniversary 💖  (Read 8189 times)

cubagirl

Our big anniversary 💖
« on: June 16, 2017, 03:52:01 PM »

Ok hubby & I have big anniversary coming up in September. Not doing anything fancy, but I'm getting an eternity ring to mark the event. I now have a dilemma as to what stone to pick. Ruby for 40, Sapphire for September, or stick to diamonds. Have to say I'm struggling to find "the ring!" 18ct yellow gold isn't as popular as white gold these days, which poses another problem. Needs to be narrow too as I have short fingers.

I asked hubby how much he was willing to pay. Get this, he said "just choose what you like & I'll pay!" However, I'm not going to take him to the cleaners. I'd be way to scared to wear something ridiculously expensive anyway & he doesn't have George Clooney's wealth.  ;D
I want him to be able to choose one for me, so I've suggested that we go to a good jewellers shop, once I've whittled out the places I don't like. I will try on a few & he can choose ring for me.

What would you pick? Is a ruby too obvious for a 40th anniversary? My daughter suggested Emerald as it's my birth stone, but I'm not keen. I have to say I'm swaying towards a classical diamond. Maybe because I haven't found something suitable yet.

Ju Ju

Re: Our big anniversary 💖
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:39:37 PM »

Early congratulations! What is your wedding ring and if you have one, your engagement ring like? I presume you want them to sit well together and colours of the stones to compliment each other.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »

I don't like rubies.  I buy most of my jewellery at auctions or antique fairs so plenty of time for you to have a look round.  Is there a silver/gold smith in your area, I don't mean a jewellers who sell stuff by other makers but a good old fashioned craftsman.

Is there a piece of jewellery that could be converted, something that you no longer wear or that has been handed down: again a silver/gold smith would make you a specific piece.  Have a look-see at the various diamonds your local maker has in stock and get a ring made to fit?  Perhaps with dates engraved.

We had a special statue made by an artist who works in 'found' stuff (Chris Macdonald in Brighton).  We provided the 1950s ice-cream scoop and he made a couple, the other person is a wooden spoon  ::)

Will you be buying a gift?

cubagirl

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 04:54:45 PM »

No old stuff I'd want to convert. My wedding ring is just a plain 18ct yellow gold, unlike my original ring which is square & very unusual. I'm keeping it as it is & daughter will get at some point in the future. My engagement ring is a solitaire diamond also with an unusual setting. So eternity ring has to be narrow, though chances are I wouldn't wear them all at once anyway. 

Salad

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 05:01:01 PM »

Early congratulations - such an achievement  :congrats:

My personal choice would be diamonds as I would want to colour coordinate the ring to what I was wearing - think I've said before I'm a bit OCD  :)
However, I had an emerald (birth stone) and two diamond ring made by a local goldsmith to replace my lost engagement ring and it is lovely.
If you are undecided I would ask your husband which gem he likes best so he contributes even more to your special anniversary jewellery.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »

Lovely dilemma to have Cubagirl.
Diamonds are a girls best friend- I love Emeralds but they aren't as hardy. And if you do get your lovely ring, wear it every day.Admire and enjoy!

I've got small hands and wear my channel set eternity ring first, then my wedding band then engagement ring. It works a treat but it all depends on the size and settings and how they all marry together so you'll need to try on quite a few!

I'd never pay retail prices- you need a good wholesaler who sells to the public and offers good quality. I don't know any in your neck of the woods but can recommend some in Glasgow. They can custom make too.

Get him to take you Dubai- gold market. You'd get good quality and a holiday and still pay less than you would in the U.K. Retail -You'd need to haggle though! I know someone who only ever buys her jewellery there ( and she's got a lot and its absolutely beautiful- vulgar but beautiful...)
I got lovely earrings there this year and got them valued back here-  almost double what I paid, but then again hubby struck a hard bargain ( and I paid for them! )

Anyway, it's a great occasion so congratulations and have fun picking a ring that you can wear and admire every day - lucky girl x

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 05:58:44 PM »

I remember Glasgow having wholesale places to buy jewellery. We visited one when getting my engagement ring, but ended up in a jewellers in Argylle Arcade.

Just showed him one online, diamonds set diagonally across ring in a channel. Only problem it's white gold. However, we could ask if they can do it in yellow gold.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 06:11:04 PM »

I feel a trip to the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham coming on  ;)

Mbrown001

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 06:41:42 PM »

I get a feeling I know where Michellemabelle is talking about......in a lane not far from Argyll Arcade.... That's where I got my engagement ring.

There are jewellery auctions at McTears that are absolutely stunning. I would never let anyone pick a ring for me. It's such an individual choice really.
I got my eternity ring for my 40th birthday. I love it but I don't wear either my engagement ring or the eternity ring except if I'm going somewhere. The diamonds dull quickly when you wash your hands.

I've got an emerald ring and a sapphire one that we picked up in pawn shops. If you can get over the second hand bit then there are many bargains to be had.

Oh choices choices CG  ;D

Have fun choosing, and most of all enjoy ..

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 07:06:11 PM »

Some people don't like 2nd hand rings because they may have sad stories attached.  However, they are in the open market so it's my opportunity to give them a home  ;) - diamonds, Blue John, more diamonds ...... not that I'm fussy  ::).  Himself and I choose our rings together ;-).  What ever one feels about 2nd hand, all jewellery is in the main, personal choice ....... we use a jewellery who works on the premises so nothing can get lost in the post.  His front of house Staff are really helpful.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »

ma broon. Gets your sparklers on. You can buy cleaning solution in jewellers in a little tub. stick your rings in once a week, quick brush and you'll be all sparkly again! Wish we could do the same...
Cubagirl I got my engagement ring and wedding ring in john McIntyres in Glasgow. Yes it's in a lane just off Buchanan street.
my engagement ring was off the shelf but eternity ring was tweaked with size of diamonds and platinum so whatever you see, they'll custom make for you or tweak. I had to wait 12 weeks ( seemed like an eternity ) for my eternity ring! it's not fancy, but you'll get good prices and good quality and they can tweak or custom make. Really busy at weekends though and you can usually negotiate a small discount on top ( but not a lot)
Also they'll take old jewellery off your hands for money or remodelling. I got earrings made from my first eternity ring ( well, it did last 25 years! )
Good luck, try lots on though and you'll find something that's very special x

Mbrown001

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 07:34:17 PM »

Yep that's where I got both my engagement and eternity rings. Hubby sold his car to buy the engagement one......fortunately nothing had to be sold for the eternity.  ;D
I had the eternity one tweaked enough to suit.

I remember going up in that rickety old lift and being made to queue.

Best jewellers in Glasgow I have to say.

Cleaning solution.....heck no.....wee drop of gin or vodka and pop them in then brush with a baby's toothbrush. Then they really shine.

Maybe worth a trip to Glasgow CG to get something really special.
Not often you get to forty years.

MrsxBrown.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »

What a waste of gin...I'd spend my time licking my rings!  ;Dx

Mbrown001

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 08:02:50 PM »

Never said I didn't drink the gin afterwards  ;)

After all I'm Scottish......waste not want not  ;D

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »

One can buy special silver dusters.  Or sonic baths though they can loosen stones.

Can we all come  ;D
Pages: [1] 2