Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 16 weeks free from HRT!  (Read 1289 times)

Lizab

16 weeks free from HRT!
« on: June 15, 2017, 04:02:36 PM »

Hello all! I thought I should post an update for anyone wondering if it ever ends. It's been 16 weeks since I removed my last patch and I feel good! Some of you know my story, the short version is early menopause was bad, HRT became worse, so I quit.

I think it was around 8-12 weeks that night sweats were the worst but that is much better at the moment. I still struggle with anxiety and feeling of coming out of my skin, although it doesn't grip me like before. It's settled to a level where I know I can wait and it will be gone within a few hours. That doesn't make those hours comfortable, but at least I can try to distract myself and carry on almost normally. Also still get the occasional doom and gloom feeling wash over me. That one is a little harder for me to deal with but thankfully it's very occasionally. I am without any doubt a more emotionally sensitive person with a shorter temper than I was pre-menopause so I'm still learning to deal with that also. What I'm NOT having are the fiery inferno hot flushes, racing heart, dry eyes and dizzy feelings that I had before the HRT!

I am holding on to hope that these remaining symptoms will continue to lessen in intensity as I am being more of my old self every day!

Tempest

Re: 16 weeks free from HRT!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 04:40:41 PM »

Oh bless your heart, LizaB!

I also still have the 'coming out of my skin' feelings' and the doom and gloom too - I told you before that even though I'm in surgically induced menopause, that we are 'meno twins'!

I'm going to TRY to go back on HRT for bone and cardio. health, though - as I have extremely low (see also under 'non existent') hormone levels, I think it might be wise in my case to at least give it my best shot!

If you feel comfortable continuing as you are (OK, I know 'comfortable' isn't thee right word with those symptoms) and it feels right for you, then it's absolutely the right choice.

Sending you biggest hugs,and please do stay active here and let us know how you're getting along, won't you? xxxxx

Lizab

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 05:07:23 PM »

Thank you for being my twin through this, Tempest. As frustrating as it is when those odd feelings pop in, I'm more at ease now that I'm learning what to expect. I now know that a good night's sleep is essential, and I'll be a wreck the next day if I either don't get to bed early enough for when I have to wake early or if I don't sleep well. No more 5-6 hour nights for me. Fortunately, I can tell now before I even go to bed when I'm going to have trouble sleeping, so it's not a surprise and a struggle to get myself together the next day. I accept that I'm out for the day and hope for a better night the next night.

I can't say I'll never give HRT another attempt, but it seems like my physical symptoms have almost completely subsided, leaving me only with stress, emotion, and a bad attitude  ;D While I occasionally read of someone getting relief from these issues by HRT, I think many say the anxiety and mental issues stubbornly remain. Mine seems to run almost a weekly cycle now, where I feel like a normal human for about 6-10 days before having 1-2 days of something off. Actually, as I type this I'm recalling my cycles were about 19-21 days for a several years before I started skipping. I wonder if these off days are coinciding with the peaks and troughs of my cycle. No matter, I am where I am now.

I do check in and read your posts, Tempest. I hope you and everyone else that stumbles into this forum finds relief soon.

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:18:59 PM »

Oh, dear Liza! Bless you. I wish so many good things for you, going forward! Yes - I get the 'cycle' of good days too followed by a few rotten days. It actually made me cry the other day when I was over at the US forum Hystersisters, and one of the moderators over there said that for at least two years after her TAH/BSO surgery, she had 'phantom pmt'. I believe this, totally!

It's like our brains have trouble letting go of our old cycles and I think this is what causes our emotions so much distress and confusion sometimes, even with natural menopause too. I'm sure it's a much more complex process than this all involving the HPA axis and other scientific stuff, but what WE know as women is that its a confusing, emotional and very difficult time.

I wish so much, every day, for peace for all the lovely ladies here whichever path they follow - HRT or not. Each of the amazing ladies here deserve that - women are truly awesome and strong and as I've said before, whoever said we are 'the weaker sex' couldn't have been more wrong (it had to have been a man, naturally)! xxxxx

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 07:38:54 AM »

Hi Lizab

Glad you are feeling good at the moment! I can't remember whether or not you are post-menopause but I remember you are quite young? Have your periods come back? As Tempest is doing maybe once you feel a lot better you could try a very low dose in order to protect your heart and bones, if your oestrogen levels are very low, due to your age  - but of course you want to feel well now - otherwise what's the point?

Hurdity x