Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Best time to start HRT  (Read 3261 times)

pamb

Best time to start HRT
« on: June 12, 2017, 03:55:46 PM »

Hi

I'm 54 next month and still having periods, plus all the usual symptoms of peri meno which I've been struggling with since my 40's  although some months are better than others.   I was just wondering if anyone can advise whether it would be better to wait until I was post meno until I tried HRT or should I give it a go now.  I know some people find their natural hormones which are up and down in peri  can sometimes affect the HRT dosages meaning they can sometimes have a surge in oestrogen or progesterone and make things worse.

Any advice please.

dahliagirl

Re: Best time to start HRT
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »

Hi - I am 53 and have been on HRT since I was 50, and in the peri phase (as far as I know  ::) )

I have found that whilst using HRT is not perfect, it does give me some stability and damps down the oestrogen ups and downs.  I still get the odd blip, but I do my best to look after myself and weather it, and they are pretty minimal.

pamb

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 04:22:39 PM »

Hi dahliagirl

Thanks for the prompt reply.   Stability would be good as I never know from month to month which symptom is going to bother me the most.   Hot flushes seem to be a constant though along with tiredness - vertigo was a new one last month :o   

I'll probably make an appointment with GP just to check my ferriton levels as my periods are quite heavy for about 3 days and leave me drained.   Also might ask her to check my B12 and Vit D levels and then maybe broach the HRT subject. 

Thanks again x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:11:56 PM »

I think it depends on the individual as well as how often your periods are. If your cycle has started lengthening and you go eg 2 months between them then no reason not to start straight away at your age and if you are experiencing symptoms - and as dahliagirl has found this has been helpful from the start. Others find that sometimes the added oestrogen gives them too much when periods are still regular.

I started at around your age but my periods were very infrequent - had had a couple in the year prior to starting HRT and started HRT after 5 months since previous period. It worked like a charm from the beginning, for flushes and sweats - and apart from having to change type after 3 months, and a couple of goes at stopping/reducing - I have been on more or less the same oestrogen dose and patch ever since ( 10 years ago).

I did have a couple of years probably of worsening flushes and sweats which came and went when I got a period, as well as a bucket load of tears - and mood swings, but I managed to ride through these until the point I reached - in late peri-menopause when it was obvious the flushes and sweats were there to stay, and started HRT.

Hurdity x

Bane

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »

Its different for everyone the for me the interval between periods increases. I found the my levels ups and downs on it

pamb

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »

That's very helpful Hurdity and Bane.  My period is still pretty regular, i.e. I get one every month although it can be a few days early or late.  I did have 3 months without a period about 18 months ago but since then it's been every month.   I did read somewhere else on here, not sure if you Hurdity were the one who posted, that if you have 60 days without a period and then start up again then I could be in late peri and may stop within the next year.  I think that's what I read anyway.

I certainly don't want to have too much oestrogen or progesterone and make things worse.  At the moment things are fairly manageable so I might just struggle on until I get to a point where I'm struggling more than I am now.

Thanks again x