Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bumble Bees  (Read 9268 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bumble Bees
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 10:22:04 PM »

Any news?

nearly50

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 08:19:22 AM »

The pest controller had a look and said they were bumble bees and that they will find somewhere else to go in a couple of months. He said the males don't sting which I didn't know. We'll deal with the hole once they've moved on :)

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 11:05:35 AM »

In the mean time watch and enjoy ;-).

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 05:38:02 PM »

Good news then nearly50. I'm so pleased that you are able to let them be (bee? lol) for the summer. There are interesting facts here about bumble bees http://bumblebeeconservation.org/ 

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »

Tnx.  Have joined the e-mail update list  :)

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 01:15:16 PM »

Found a nest yesterday under a shed in a corner of the garden rarely used  :-* the males are HUGE  :D

peri

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 07:27:30 PM »

Better than having a wasps nest Margaret.  We had one in the eaves of the house last year and we came home from holiday to 100's in our bedroom, including 1 on my pillow!  It freaked me out for weeks.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 10:32:28 PM »

Wasps make beautiful nests and leave it each year to build a new one the following Spring.  I have looked to see which type of BB we have but a) they fly so fast we can't take a photo and b) there seem to be several all of similar livery  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 10:39:35 PM »

Better than having a wasps nest Margaret.  We had one in the eaves of the house last year and we came home from holiday to 100's in our bedroom, including 1 on my pillow!  It freaked me out for weeks.

We have a wasps nest most years above the kitchen window in the space between the top of the window and the eaves - chalet style house. We also get them nesting in the cladding outside the bedroom window. It's fascinating to hear them keeping the temperature in the nest just right by vibrating their wings during the night. I do understand that not everyone would feel the same  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 10:43:42 PM »

Wasps don't use the same nest though - I haven't seen many yet this year, usually I can hear them chewing the shed door and see them collecting water from our ponds  ::) ......... I expect there will be a nest somewhere close by, Himself found last year's by walking into it  :o

Taz2

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 11:04:38 PM »

I meant that they make a new nest each year within the cavity - we also have them in the loft from time to time but they were put off when the hornets decided that they wanted to make it their home too.

Taz x

peri

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 11:22:54 PM »

I really don't want them back this year, the smell of their rotting nest was indescribable. We think it was somewhere under the porcelain tiles in the bathroom but we couldn't get to it.  It obviously attracted maggots though because then we had a plague of baby flies! Like I say I'm hoping we don't get them this year!

Taz2

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 07:00:25 AM »

Hi peri - wasps nest don't rot. They are made of paper and last for many years although I guess if the nest failed and there were thousands of wasps inside then this may give out a smell but not strong enough to be offensive. The more likely explanation is that if there is space for wasps there is also space for mice, rats or birds and these do give off a horrible smell when they are rotting? This would also explain the maggots who were doing a good job at getting rid of whatever had died up there.

Taz x  :-\

peri

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 08:24:48 AM »

It definitely failed as we had pest control treat it.  I dread to think there was anything else up there!!!

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 10:27:13 AM »

Not a wasps nest in the normal run of the Wild, maybe a mouse got in by nibbling and died inside  :-\

Our bees are busy, in/out of the nest - the males take a moment or several to orientate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3