Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: new member looking for advice  (Read 2570 times)

andrick11

new member looking for advice
« on: June 11, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »

hi my name is Andrea and I'm 41 I had a full hysterectomy 6 months ago and I'm really struggling with the menopause I feel achy all the time I'm tired, my bones keep cracking especially my knees and hips, I am having hot flushes day and night and my mood is horrendous I have been to my doctors and they put me on Premarin 0.625mg I had the lowest dose to start I'm finding everyday activities very hard and find my doctors are not very helpful just wanted someone to talk to and find out if this is normal I never had children as I couldn't concieve due to fibroids on my womb and my ovaries please help  :'(
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 12:57:38 PM by andrick11 »

Claireylou

Re: new member looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »

Hi Andrick  :welcomemm:

I had a hysterectomy 14 days ago. My consultant put me straight onto HRT but at the highest dose. So far I've had no trouble. I've got no experience of Premarin but from what I've learned on here it's one of the older types?

It sounds like you may need to up your dose a little. There are lots of HRT preparations to try ranging from gel to tablets and sometimes it can be a bit of trial and error to find one that suits.

Is there a menopause clinic near you or a good gynae consultant? If so, maybe ask your GP for a referral so you can discuss your problems with someone who has a better understanding?

Keep posting and asking on here, there are some really knowledgeable ladies who always help and advise. You're not alone xxx :hug:

andrick11

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 01:26:40 PM »

hi thanks for quick reply I started on the pessaries but they made me sore the doctor was really reluctant to put me on anything but I fought to get the tablets, there is no menopause clinic that I am aware of and my doctor seems to not listen to me I have been back numerous times, I was discharged from hospital with no help what so ever and they didn't start my hrt till I kept telling them what was going on and I see a different doctor each time it's awful x

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 01:36:39 PM »

Hi Andrea

I had a hysterectomy years ago when I was 32.  My ovaries failed and I plunged into menopause.  It's always good to start low dose so you get the right level that takes away most of the troublesome symptoms.  Usually on low they start creeping back in and that's when you increase to the next dose and so forth

There's so many hrts available and not all suit us as individuals.  I'd suggest getting as much info from here then go back to your gp (or one you know is pro hrt) and give your thoughts on what you'd like to try next or that you'd like an increase in dose x

andrick11

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 01:54:20 PM »

Thankyou for your advice I just feel so awful at the moment and so sore I felt great for the first couple of months and then it hit me like a brick and now my knees and hips are hurting like never before I will stick to this dose for a bit it doesn't help that I have anxiety and depression to start off with just wish I had a regular doctor that knows me so that I don't have to keep explaining everything every time I go x

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 02:22:27 PM »

Sorry, I read your name as Andrea!

Do you mean vaginal pessaries made you sore ? There's ovestin cream for internal and external use too

Don't suffer in silence, many say to give each trial of hrt 3 months but if it's making you suffer try something else.  My first hrt was elleste solo 1mg then 2mg and that suited me great for 13 years, but there's also gels and patches x

andrick11

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »

yes the vaginal ones made me sore the doctor has not gone through anything with me and I know nothing about hrt and what is available, at the moment I am suffering in silence coz I don't know who to turn too as my doctor just keeps brushing me off I will go back again and try again and see If I can get to see someone that can help me x

andrick11

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »

it's nice to talk to you all by the way x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 02:42:08 PM »

Maybe go see a Pharmacist in your local Chemist?  Most have private rooms now so give them a ring and make an appt., or see if you can drop by?  I have found them so useful.  Or if there is a Prescribing Nurse in your Practice you may have more luck.  Sadly UK GPs are so not up to date with HRT  >:( and it makes me SO ANGRY that Consultants don't discuss HRT requirements PRIOR to surgical intervention  :bang: :bang: :bang:.

Unless someone has experienced the sometimes awful lack of hormones they can't decide what is required - reading about HRT isn't the same as feeling ill due to an upset of hormones. 

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.  Browse round here and make notes!

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »

Ok then you need to ask to try OVESTIN, it comes with an applicator and you can insert the cream that way and apply some externally, YES products have a good reputation for moisturising/lubrication

Have a look at the tabs at the top of our page where you'll see a list of hrt options.  Only go back when you've gathered info, plus there's NICE guidelines that your gps should be aware of which says to offer hrt to women with symptoms x

andrick11

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »

thankyou for advice ladies I will see if my pharmacy can help me and maybe see how I get on with these tablets for a bit I will just keep going till I get something that is right x

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »

hi thanks for quick reply I started on the pessaries but they made me sore the doctor was really reluctant to put me on anything but I fought to get the tablets, there is no menopause clinic that I am aware of and my doctor seems to not listen to me I have been back numerous times, I was discharged from hospital with no help what so ever and they didn't start my hrt till I kept telling them what was going on and I see a different doctor each time it's awful x

Hi andrick11

:welcomemm: from me too. (By the way Annie0710 you read correctly she did say her name was Andrea!).

Am I reading this correctly - as you have been put on Premarin without a progestogen I presume you also had your ovaries removed as well as having a total hysterectomy (unless you have a Mirena?)?. If that is the case then your doc is totally out of order and is negligent in not offering you replacement oestrogen immediately following your operation, (as Claireylou was given) without good reason, because early and surgical menopause are associated with certain health conditions and you should have replacement oestrogen at least until the natural average age of menopause of 51/52.

Premarin is an older type although many women do well on it. It is just not the same as the oestrogen made in our bodies  estradiol) as it is a mix of horse oestrogens (made from horse urine by the way). As already said you need to give each type 3 months before deciding if it works for you, but if after a month your flushes and sweats have not abated and you have no negative side effects, then I would ask to increase the dose.

In addition I agree with the others you need to hot foot it back to the doc for Vagifem or estriol cream as advised as well as the oestrogen to combat your soreness. It is criminal that you have been left to suffer like this for so long - I am just appalled that this is still going on - and that your consultants did not recommend this straight away and write to your doc even if your GP is ignorant of menopause - as CLKD says!

Unless you had depression most of your life then hopefully the right dose of hormones will lift your mood.:)

Do please go back to the doc and I do hope your symptoms improve so you feel better soon.

Hurdity x

andrick11

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »

I had a total hysterectomy ovaries and womb and was not given anything for it, I will be going back to the doctors as I really need to get it sorted out I did have depression before all this but this seems to have got worse and my anxiety aswell x