Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New member looking for reassurance  (Read 2039 times)

Nanakim

New member looking for reassurance
« on: June 09, 2017, 08:11:30 PM »

Hi Ladies,
Haven't got a clue what I'm doing and hope I post this in the correct place.
I'm 54 yrs old. My last natural period I believe was in March 2015. I spotted very slightly a couple of times until June 2016 when I was put on Evorel Conti patches for night flushes, lack of sleep, low libido & vaginal dryness. All was good (3  months)until September 2016 when I had one week spotting and then a very heavy period 😕 My GP told me to stop using the patches.
I returned to my GP in April this year and asked if I could try again. I had no spotting or bleeding since last September. I was given Evorel Conti again and have now been on them for 7 weeks. I've spotted for the last 2 weeks and been bleeding for the last 3 days. My GP has now given me Femseven conti which I put on today as it was patch change day. I have been told Femseven Conti is a lower dose patch and to see if things improve. GP told me to remove the patch if the bleeding gets worse and revisit and I'll be referred to a gynaecologist for a scan of my womb lining!! 😶 The leaflet enclosed with the patches say it's quite normal to bleed/spot until your body adjusts. Is Femseven conti a lower dose patch?
Sorry if this is boring 😅
Who'd be a women!!! 😡

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member looking for reassurance
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 08:15:29 PM »

Nowt is boring or taboo on here ;-).

The vaginal dryness can be treated with localised HRT, either Vagifem or Ovestin.  Regularly.  If the leaflet explains that there maybe some spotting why is the GP altering medication  ???.  It would have been better to have sent you for a scan prior to prescribing HRT!  Hey Ho! another GP paying lip service?

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.  As the oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry = nostrils, deep in the ears, skin, vagina ...... and muscles may become lax = aches and pains  ::)  :welcomemm:

Browse round.  Make notes.

Nanakim

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 08:31:20 PM »

Thanks for the welcome CLKD,

My GP thought that as I have been on Evorel Conti twice and bleed both times they may not suit me! She said it was like the contraceptive pill, you may need to try several to see what suits 😶
I'll stick with it a while and see if it eases up.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »

Hi Nanakim -  it is well documented that women on conti HRT can bleed for the first six months. Sometimes only spotting or breakthrough bleeding but often bleeding for the whole time - that's what happened to me. It usually settles after six months but sometimes can go on for longer. It is a perfectly normal side effect of conti HRT so I'm not sure why your GP didn't know this although we do find from time to time that we have to educate our GPs  ;D

This is from the patient information leaflet for Evorel Conti

"How Evorel Conti works
Evorel Conti is known as ‘continuous combined' HRT. This is because both
hormones in the patch are released all the time.
Evorel Conti patches replace the oestrogen that is normally released by the
ovaries. However, in women who still have a womb, taking an oestrogen
hormone regularly may cause the lining of your womb to build up and get
thicker.
• This means it is necessary to add a progestogen hormone to the
oestrogen
• This helps shed the lining of the womb and stop any problems happening
Most women do not have a regular monthly period with Evorel Conti.
However, bleeding or spotting does often occur in the first few months until
treatment settles down" 

and this from the FemSeven leaflet

"The most frequent side effects may occur very commonly (in more
than 1 in 10 people):
 skin irritation at the site of application (disappeared 2 or 3 days after
patch removal);
 breast tenderness;
 bleeding or spotting. "

You may find that the FemSeven patches don't stick quite so well as the Evorel so remember to hold them firmly down with the palm of your hand for the right amount of time as the hormones are in the adhesive so you need a good contact to receive the full dose. I bled on all of the conti HRTs I tried and in the end went back to sequi so that I at least knew when to expect the bleed.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »

:thankyou:  Taz

Why can't GPs be up2date  :beat: no wonder it costs so much when a quick look in MIMMS or read the leaflets!?!  .......

Let us know how you get on with the medication Nanakim !

Nanakim

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 07:37:55 AM »

Thank you Taz 👍 I really appreciate your time,

I do feel slightly aggravated by my GPs request to change my patch after seven weeks.  However, I now feel reassured and confident that bleeding and spotting can be a normal reaction whilst your body adjusts to the new meds. This is a fabulous website, I only wish I had found you all sooner!

I shall continue now with the Femseven Conti because I do not want to keep swapping between different patches.

I'll let you know how thing go.

Have a great weekend ☀️

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:05:37 AM »

Hi there Nanakim

:welcomemm: from me too!

Just to add that the oestrogen dose in Evorel and Femseven is exactly the same - well Femseven is lower in total but they are both designed to deliver 50 mcg oestrogen per day so effectively the same for the purposes of HRT. How much is absorbed of course, depends on your skin ( and the adhesives used in the patch).

Like Taz I decided to stay with cyclical HRT and have a predictable withdrawal bleed (even into my 60's!)  - in my case because I couldn't cope with the effects of continuous progesterone.

Hope it continues to work for you and the bleeding stops!

Hurdity x

Nanakim

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 08:16:48 PM »

Thanks Hurdity for your info.

I have removed the Femseven patch lunchtime today. I've had a headache and felt sick since last night. Rightly or wrongly I'm going to put the Evorel Conti back on. I have a doctors appointment this coming week so I'm going to discuss the cyclical HRT. Like you say at least I'll have a predictable bleed.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »

Sorry to hear about this Nanakim. Good luck with your doc's appointment and let us know how you get on - and hoping everything will settle for you soon :)

Hurdity x