Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hysterectomy?  (Read 2519 times)

Cathh3110

Hysterectomy?
« on: June 08, 2017, 11:58:50 AM »

I have just been to see my consultant today and we have decided to go ahead with a total hysterectomy.

I am 53 and suffered with very heavy periods all my life, I am not sure how long I have been in perimenopause.
 I have tried HRT etc which didn't work. Had Mirena coil fitted on 7 December due to very heavy periods but been bleeding since then. I went to see consultant in April and had scans and  biopsy, she also changed the coil in case it was faulty and gave me a course of norethisterone. This did not agree with me at all, felt awful on it with headaches and generally feeling unwell - and the bleeding didn't stop, so I  stopped taking it and felt really emotional  I was bleeding heavily and had quite large clots which I didn't think would happen with the mirena.
The bleeding has eased up and has almost stopped at times, but I dare not go out without wearing a pad, just in case!

The consultant talked me through some options such as prostat injection and hrt, but I said I wanted to just get it all over with. We have filled the consent forms in and the op could be July or August, but she said if the bleeding does stop I have to let her know and we can cancel the operation. The thing is, I know they expect the menopause to happen at some stage but it hasn't yet!
I am very confused as to what to do, nobody wants an unnecessary op but I feel this has been dragging on for years.
What do people think? Any comments really appreciated  :-\

Megamind

Re: Hysterectomy?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 03:35:28 PM »

Hi Cath,
Some members have recently had hysterectomies. If you type hysterectomy into the search box it should bring up their threads. Claireylou is one member.

Salad

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »

My hysterectomy restored my quality of life and let me get back to doing 'normal' things- with hindsight I should have had it earlier.

Plus now I'm using HRT I'm only trying to balance my oestrogen level without having to throw progesterone into the equation   ;D

Good luck in whatever you decide x

Claireylou

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »

Hi Cath,

I had my total hysterectomy with bso two weeks ago. I'd had problems with adenomyosis, fibroids, endometriosis and a thickened lining which all caused severe pain and horrendously heavy periods. Other options were laid out to me but I'd had enough and went straight for the hysterectomy.

I can honestly say, for me, it was the best decision by far. I've had very little pain, though still taking it easy. My consultant started me on HRT just five days post surgery and I've had no problems with it so far.

Has your consultant offered you an ablation? This is another alternative to surgery and, as long as your scans have been ok, it may work to stop the heavy bleeding.

If you have any questions ask away and I'll help if I can xxx  :)

cubagirl

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 03:48:05 PM »

It's very much a personal choice. I had mine in my mid 30's due to constant pain & bleeding, not heavy but was a constant nuisance. I was so grumpy all the time. Afterwards I felt so much better. I chose to have it done as it wasn't fair on my husband & kids, me being so bad tempered. Now I'm 61 & still using oestrogen only HRT patches.

Cathh3110

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »

Thank you both for your replies, its good to hear that you feel it was a good thing Salad. I must admit after reading some stories I do sometimes feel a bit of a fraud as it is only heavy bleeding! I don't have fibroids, polyps or any problems with the endometrial lining of the womb, apart from it just keeps thickening up and causing the bleeding. I think it good be a good thing to have it done and not have the worry of bleeding or the pains.

Megamind thank you for pointing me in the direction of others I will certainly have a look.

Claireylou - my consultant mentioned ablation but didn't think it would be the right thing for me.

Claireylou

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 03:59:20 PM »

Ah I see.

I totally agree with Cubagirl. It's a very personal choice and only you know what's right for you.

For me, I just know I've done the right thing for the long term xxx :)

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 05:31:57 PM »

I had mine done due to prolapsed womb. As Claireylou says there was little pain but it did take three months for me to recover and you do have to make sure that you don't lift heavy things, not for the first few months, but for the rest of your life if you want to avoid prolapse of other organs which is common in women who have had hysterectomy.

I also miss my proper orgasms - not many consultants tell you that the main orgasm is experienced due to contractions of the womb. No womb no deep orgasms only clitoral and vaginal ones. It is worth thinking about if you still enjoy yours! Also, keep your ovaries!

Only you can make this decision. I can see that you are wondering whether to have such a major op when the bleeding could stop of it's own accord soon. Have a look here https://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/ for helpful advice?

Taz x

Cathh3110

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »

Thank you all for your replies, I have had a look at the hysterectomy association website (I didn't know it existed).
I have made another appointment to speak to the consultant. I feel I may try something else first, just in case the mirena kicks in. I need to explore all the options but I think I was given so much information that I need to process it properly.
Perhaps the hysterectomy will still be the way forward.

Claireylou

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 09:09:02 AM »

Cath it's really important to give yourself plenty of time to think. I made a list of pros and cons to help me. Taz pointed me in the direction of the hysterectomy association website which I found invaluable for information.

I really hope you get the answers and help that you need and deserve xxx  :)

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 07:03:50 PM »

Take you time Cathh - you can't put it back once it's gone so it's important to be sure. I'm glad you found the website to be of help. The forum is really helpful too and although not as busy as this one there is usually someone to give advice or tell you of their own experiences.

Let us know how you get on and what you decide.

Taz x  :)