Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kidney stones  (Read 6389 times)

margaret

Kidney stones
« on: May 19, 2017, 06:59:46 AM »

Hi Ladies,

Has anyone suffered with kidney stones?  I was admitted into hospital yesterday after being up all night with pain in my kidney and terrible sickness.  Does anyone know how they are caused. I've never known pain like it.

:'(

countrybumpkin

Re: Kidney stones
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »

Personally no I have never had one but I do know a few people who have had them men and women. The women say the pain is worse than childbirth when a stone get stuck.
Lots of things can cause kidney stones from genetic tendency to simply not drinking enough over long period of time. A male friend sticks to a low oxolate diet ( certain foods contain high levels of oxolate which in susecptible people can cause kidney stones) this works for him.
You will know yourself is you are drinking enough fluid in a day or not and if not then obviously upping your fluid can only help matters.
You should see a urologist about this if kidney stones have been detected. When they get stuck they cause awful pain etc and there are lots of medical ways they can be removed etc and again this is where the urologist comes in.  HOpefully you either have seen one or you will be seeing one.

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 01:29:02 PM »

Ah yes, I had one 10 years ago.  I was only seen by the GP and out of hours, and told that they did not automatically send you for scans these days. Equivalent to  6 1/2 hours of transition labour with first born with projectile vomiting.  Should have gone to A&E  ::)

The best prevention is to drink enough water to keep your urine straw coloured (obviously not overnight urine as it is concentrated by a hormone then).  This has been proven to significantly reduce the risk in studies, and stones are more prevalent in very hot countries.

Another thing to do is to reduce the oxalate in your diet (stones are usually calcium oxalate)  There are tables that show you how much oxalate things contain, but what is important is how much actually gets though the gut wall into the blood.  Rhubarb and spinach are the worst offenders by a long way and worth completely avoiding.  I am also suspicious about things like the dark bitter kale, chard, beetroot leaves so eat these occasionally. Strawberries are surprisingly high and best eaten with cream  ;)

On the strawberries and cream theme, there is a school of though that if you have calcium in your diet, that this will combine with the oxalates whilst still in your gut, and not get through.  However, if your blood calcium is high, that is probably not a good thing.  So the best thing is to make sure you are getting the right amount of calcium in your day to day diet, and not over do it.  If your calcium gets low, then your body takes calcium from your bones and for some reason this calcium is more likely to combine with the oxalates in the blood - therefore eat the amount of calcium you need and drink plenty.

Do not take calcium supplements or indigestion tablets.  Vitamin D is supposed to be a no no, but I was very low and have taken them for 3 years with no problems - and they contain a bit of calcium as a filler, but the least amount I could find.  The calcium in supplements is not quite the same as dietary calcium and is more likely to form stones. It is also a cheap nutrient so commonly added to fortified things. Bread has it added, but should be ok unless you live on it entirely  ;) Sardines and milk are fine.

Grapefruit is worth avoiding.  There was a study that looked into drinking citrus juices to see if they could prevent stones.  However, the group drinking grapefruit got more stones and they stopped that group.  This is sufficient evidence for me - can't stand the stuff - used to put up with it for the sake of being 'healthy', but now I need never touch it again  ;D

Oh -there is some evidence to say not to overdo the protein - best avoid Atkins diet.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 03:40:20 PM »

How awful  :bighug:  it's a build up of calcium that causes stones or gravel which the body has difficulty passing!

What was the advice on discharge, if any?  Did you see a dietician B4 being sent home?

margaret

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 08:44:37 PM »

Hi Ladies,

I had to be admitted into hospital on Friday evening pain was unbearable eventually got morphine, it turns out I have a very bad infection as well, I'm on strong antibiotics for the next week, and they said it might take up to 4 weeks for the stones to pass.  Back home now, still a little fragile.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »

I bet you are!  Is there no hope of ultra-sound to break the stones up to make them easier to pass?

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:14:08 PM »

You poor thing .

I woke up one night with pain in my left side, it got worse and I felt so ill and the pain was slowly moving down , anyway by about 4am I was curled up in agony and my daughter took me to meet dr at the surgery who tested utine and she said it was a kidney infection but by my description she thinks i passed a tiny stone .  Tiny ? I could hardly walk so full sympathies to you if yours is bigger than tiny

margaret

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »

Hi,

Would you believe the stones are just 1mm and 3mm, small they said, God help me if they had been any bigger,  I was blaming the VA for all my water infections now I'm wondering if it's been the kidney stones.  I'm dropping to bits since I started the Menopause.  I'm coming back as a man, hee hee  x

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 04:42:28 PM »

I've already booked my slot as a guy for the next life

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 10:19:43 PM »

How's the pain this evening Margaret?

margaret

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 10:24:48 PM »

The pain is much better, I'm like a coiled spring in case it kicks off again x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 10:26:34 PM »

I bet ........

dahliagirl

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 01:54:53 PM »

I have dug mine out and given it a measure (I keep it in a drawer, in case I have another one, to prove I have had one).  It is 6mm x 4mm  :o  I thought it had a small sticky out bit, but it appears to have 3 very small sticky out bits.  I think I should have gone into hospital.

The GP gave me antibiotics, because that is what it said on her list of things to do, to avoid infection.  I had raised leukocytes (I think ??? ) so probably did have some infection so she was right.

I found out that the nerves for the kidney and the intestine are close together and connected, so that when your brain gets the info, it is not quite sure which it is.  This is why you throw up if you have kidney pain.

Look after yourself.  Kidney infections hurt a lot too.  :(

margaret

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »

Hi, I asked the doctor what causes the stones and he said mainly being dehydrated, I thought it must have been something I was eating, we should drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, I have night sweats I suppose that doesn't help with being dehydrated and I also do a physical job xx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 05:45:59 PM »

'8 glasses'  :  - what size of glass for starters remembering that the body processes liquids from everything that we eat  ::)
Pages: [1] 2