Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: weight gain please help I'm depressed.  (Read 6547 times)

lynntina

weight gain please help I'm depressed.
« on: May 15, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »

Since being in the menopause I've gained one and a half stone. Any help would be appreciated on weight loss.

Butterfly22

Re: weight gain please help I'm depressed.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 06:38:02 PM »

I can't exersise much due to ME so I try and walk as much as possible and I use fitness app to count my calories as they soon add up just a little snack here and there xx

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 07:28:41 PM »

Hi lynntina

:welcomemm:

Weight gain is very common leading up to menopause and beyond - our metabolism slows and muscle strength decreases. Also decrease in oestrogen and relative imbalance between oestrogen and testosterone (which also decreases) alters weight distribution so we change from pear to apple shaped with more fat around our middle ( and internal organs I gather).

Therefore most women need to change their diet (what they eat), eat less and exercise more just to stay the same weight.

Provided you don't have any other health issues ( eg thyroid) or taking medication that can lead to weight gain, then you should be able to lose it if you put your mind to it. I did. Cut out all sugar (not counting fruit), and refined/processed foods. Limit carbs especially refined carbs and have at least one meal a day with no added pure carbs ( ie bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereal, pastries, cakes etc), no sugary drinks, limit juice and alcohol ( latter at weekends). Eat more lean protein especially fish, and heaps of fruit and veg, as well as nuts and pulses, yogurt etc. Do lots of walking, plus some cardio work-outs to keep your heart healthy and some weight resistance to strengthen your muscles. If you replace fat with muscle it burns more energy at rest and therefore you can eat more ( or lose weight more easily!).

As Megamind says - some women like to go to a class, whereas others like my daughter have a WW app on their phone and track it all like that. Me - I've never got on with counting calories and limiting how much I eat in that way so I've done it by portion sizes and eating tons of stuff that is low calorie if necessary as I don't like being hungry.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 09:37:10 PM »

Do have a thorough check up with your Practice Nurse i.e. thyroid function test, VitD levels checked - see if there's a Nurse interested in diets in the Practice and then decide what fits with your life-style.  I know that I need to exercise more  :-X - don't forget that housework counts as does running up stairs ....... gardening, gentle exercise ........ some people find deciding on recipes for a week then buying the ingredients useful ......... ingredients together and less chance to nibble whilst cooking ;-).

Butterfly22

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 07:26:33 AM »

That's a good idea CLKD
I buy salad bits and chop up so have quick food to snack, like carrots, cucumber, tomatoes even red cabbage, I find if I look in the fridge at a bag of carrots I can't be bothered to peel them but if in a tub all done I just snack on them.
Plus apples chopped with pumpkin seeds and a little peanut butter.
We do have to eat less and move more when we get older.
Maybe write a list of goals even if you start small and once you do one you will be so pleased.
Even if it's week one a twenty min walk ect.
Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 10:39:55 AM »

:thankyou:

lynntina

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 07:57:50 PM »

For some unknown reason I lost 5 and a half pound last week. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

lynntina

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 08:00:08 PM »

I am also having my thyroid gland checked too.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 10:06:46 PM »

That's a lot in a week.  I rarely weigh on the scales but 'go' on my jeans/belt, I put a pair on recently and was unable to do them up but haven't gained weight  :-\ - what's all *that* about!

lynntina

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 08:37:19 AM »

I had been ill in the first half of the week, I've been eating very healthily and walking a lot. I'm starting gym tomorrow. I'm also waiting for results of blood tests to come back.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »

So there is a 'known' reason  :-\ ...... now I'm really confused  :-X

Pinkfizz

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »

I have always been a 'proper fit thing'  ;D I gym, spin, hike, swim...at least 5 days a week since I was in my early 20s. Suddenly at 47 I gained 3 stone in 6 months whilst doing all that! Eventually finding a lovely young female doctor who didn't think I was eating all the pies (!)...did thyroid tests and mine had packed up and move out (I have since seen all my results and my thyroid was borderline for years..Grrrr).

Anyhow, even on Thyroxine I struggled to lose my 3 stone weight gain for another 2 years...no diet worked, then when the menopause kicked in and I went on HRT...I found that HRT allowed me to lose weight by dieting (obviously not just on its own), which was great. I am now carrying an extra half a stone which is fine.

For me the best diet is fasting...4 days on a strict 600 calories and then 3 on a 1200 calorie diet. Now this is not for everyone, but it works for me. I still do 2 strict days a week which maintains my weight.  It's all about calories and exercise for me.

Good luck x

peri

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »

Goodness Pinkfizz

That seems to be very little you're surviving on, I wouldn't be able to function and would be passing out.  I thought we needed 1500 calories a day.  Is it your thyroid that makes it worse?

Pinkfizz

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 07:51:26 PM »

I think that's the problem...1500 is a lot of calories for a slow metabolism.  However people are different, ironically I seem to have energy and I put that down to food choices. Mind you, alcohol sadly is the one thing I can't cope with anymore. This works for me, but it's all about finding what works for you.

My advise with thyroid is don't feed it.

Dennylou48

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »

Hi, I eat 4 small meals a day and walk for an hour in total daily, although I have not gained weight I have lost my waist line now, so look like a blob in the middle, it's so damn annoying, I was told walking is the best form of exercise, and try to cut down on carbs unless you walk them off for 20 minutes after you have eaten, good luck lovie xxx
Pages: [1] 2