Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Urinary tract infection  (Read 2599 times)

greenECLECtus28

Urinary tract infection
« on: May 12, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »

Howdy

As if all the stuff that's been going on recently I now appear to have a urine infection! Was feeling a bit 'yucky' toward the end of April and a couple of weeks previously had been running a temp of around 38.1/2 for a few days with an upset tummy which putt down to a virus as there was lots of stuff at work (call centre) with paracetamol bringing it down to 37.2/3 my 'normal' temp usually runs about 37.2 on my visit to the docs on the 25th took a urine sample along just in case (because I have Spina Bifida I can be prone to UTI's had them lots  as a child and was on prophylactic anti-biotics for quite a few years until I learned to manage the condition and haven't really had any issues over the last 10 years or so I don't get the usual symptoms of burning when going to the loo etc I just tend to feel 'out of sorts)  and low and behold it was testing for nitrites etc with a dip.

Doc didn't give me anything at that point but on the Friday surgery called to say test had come back and she had sent prescription to chemist prescription was for Nitrofurantoin when read the side effects was really worried as it mentioned that people with compromised kidney function should speak to their GP there was also some scary stuff about pulmonary issues and potential serious liver stuff as well so was too scared to take them called the doc on the Monday and he checked and advised to take the dosage was supposed to be 50mg 4 times a day but I was so scared I only took 2 a day but did complete the course.

Started to feel a bit yucky again the other day temp climbing again and as it was heading in to the weekend called surgery who were great and brought up another sample which I'm assuming they will test and if still showing symptoms will send off the rather wonderful receptionist who has known me for years went and spoke to one of the GP's I see and he has given me Trimethoprim to take meantime for over the weekend until we get the results back so have taken those 2 x 200mg twice a day chemist advised to leave 12 hours between each dose so have done that temp is still climbing at certain times of the day for example took paracetamol along with first dose of antibiotic yesterday evening at around 8.30pm and was more or less fine all night temp remained normal ish 37.2 37.4 max so didn't take any further paracetamol but this morning around 08.30am/9am started to climb again with me feeling icky but seems to have settled a bit again since taking second dose of antibiotic and paracetamol this morning

It's just I seem to be going backwards again and from the beginning of this week keep imagining that I'm going to get a reaction taking tablets every weird feeling I get like feeling I'm itchy or something I'm frightened is a reaction to the drug,I've been on holiday for the last two weeks and the first week I was great was really enjoying stuff was out in the garden planting and drawing but since feeling yucky again and getting temp rise again I seem to just sitting wondering what next and getting more and more anxious again I've been trying to keep a diary to see if there is some kind of pattern to this and funnily enough it was round about this time last month that I had the what I thought was a 'virus' with my temp going up to 38 needless to say my family is getting fed up with me. Don't know if the thought of going back to work next week is having an impact was also going to get my hair cut tomorrow but the way I'm feeling think I will just cancel and I'm also wondering if my anxiety is having an effect on my symptoms as well  :(

Sorry post is so long think I just needed to chat.

Scampi

Re: Urinary tract infection
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 11:20:11 AM »

Google Waterfall D-mannose - it's a really effective non-antibiotic way of treating UTI and can be used as a preventative measure/to maintain bladder health long term without side effects of risk of tolerance.  It's not cheap, but it might be worth you looking into.

Your anxiety will definitely have an effect on symptoms - many of the symptoms you describe can be brought on by anxiety, so it becomes a vicious circle.  Also, by the accuracy of the temperatures you're listing, and how often, I'm guessing you are actually measuring your temperature ... a lot!  Don't  :)  Unless you truly have fever symptoms (shivers, alternately hot and cold, etc), or there is some reason why your doctor has asked to check it frequently, don't take it.  Your temperature fluctuates naturally, so if you keep taking it you'll notice those changes and feel your anxiety.  I know it's hard not to keep picking up that thermometer, but it's really best left in the drawer!

Try to do something that stops you being able to think about how you are feeling - something that takes your mind off any symptoms you may have.  Reactions to drugs are rare, especially serious reactions.  Please don't think I'm trying to belittle your concerns - I'm really not - but statistically you are very unlikely to suffer any reaction to the ABs - your most likely outcome is you will feel better.  So do something nice to get your mind off those niggly twinges and weird feelings and allow yourself to feel well.

greenECLECtus28

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 03:42:48 PM »

Thanks for your reply will look into Waterfall D Mannose thanks for that I have been getting fluey symptoms which was what alerted me to take my temp in the first place but you're probably right and I shouldn't keep taking it I am feeling pretty lousy not sure if it's the antibiotic, infection if I have one (called GP practice who advised have sent it off to the lab but they didn't know if they had done a strip test first) and my anxiety all rolled in to one!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »

Trimethoprim I think is the 'usual' one, is it large dose for 3 days?  I never seem to be able to complete the course as it upsets my gut.

Take an over-the-counter pain relief too, I found recently that Nurofen eased symptoms.  Let us know how you get on and do read the vaginal atrophy threads on here ...... !

greenECLECtus28

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »

Hi CLKD  :)

It's 200mg two twice a day chemist advised to leave 12 hours between doses I've been given a weeks supply but I guess that will depend on what comes back from the lab. I certainly don't feel hungry feel quite 'fluey' took my last dose of paracetamol at 08.30 this morning and temp has been rising again currently sitting at 38.1 so might be helpful to take another dose I'm quite wee so when I take paracetamol I only take 1.5  :)

I guess it's just the usual one thing after another gets me down back to work on Monday after a 2 week break so don't want to be off again! Will read the threads as well

Take care

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 06:18:54 PM »

It's no good cutting prepared medication into bits as it's a delivered dose! plus fillers and packaging so if one cuts tablets they don't deliver what they are designed to do!

Is Paracetamol the correct tablet anyway, I get confused as to what is designed to treat what  ::)

greenECLECtus28

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »

I'm taking the paracetamol to control the fever I don't generally take Ibuprofen as I have asthma