Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Starting Utrogestan Only 200mg Daily  (Read 13480 times)

Tempest

Starting Utrogestan Only 200mg Daily
« on: May 09, 2017, 01:42:43 PM »

Hello ladies! I've just come back from my consultation with Professor Lumsden and I will be starting 200mg Utrogestan only. Review is in 4 months. As you know, I have had a full hysterectomy and oopherectomy (no prior endo) and am post surgery 2 years. Professor Lumsden and I have discussed this at length and I'll add more later.

I'm just parking this here to see what you all think.  :)

Hugs,

Tempest xxxx

SueLW

Re: Starting Utrogestan Only 200mg Daily
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 02:24:18 PM »

Hi

Why does he think progesterone only will work for you?

I'm just interested to understand the thought process on that one.

Sue

warwick01

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »

Hi Tempest,

Well I wasn't expecting that. Utrogestan 200 daily is quite a high dose and only usually given 12 days per month. Prof Studd and Heather Currie normally give 100mg daily. However I'm sure there must be a good reason ??

Will you still be using the Oestrogel ?? Really hoping you feel better soon...... lots of hugs Wxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »

Surely after hysterectomy progesterone is no longer required  :-\ ......

Maybe put the product into the 'search' area on here to see what else comes up or have a look-see at Hurdity's threads ........

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 03:46:43 PM »

Personally I was expecting to add Utro. to estrogen but Professor Lumsden wants to do the Utro. on it's own due to my tachycardia and high anxiety on estrogen only.

She says if it doesn't control flushes on 200mg then she'll increase it further and 'will keep an eye' on my bone density as the Utro. won't offer bone protection.

Whether we add estrogen again at a later date I don't know at the moment. We''ll review again in 4 months time.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:26:56 PM by Tempest »

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »

Really don't no enough personally ....but me with bad VA/ bladder wows , it's the progesterone part of my HRT 100mg for 10 days , that aggravates my bladder/vagina by day 7 the other three especially bladder are 🔥.

I no it also is a lot of ladies backwards and forwards to the loo when on it .....however perhaps it's all different when had a hyster/ no oestrogen etc as I I've no idea.

Hoping it works for you . X

warwick01

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 03:58:37 PM »

I Tempest,

All you can do is try it, nothing can be as bad as the Tibolone for you. All Consultants have there own ideas and we must be guided by them. The Consultant I see thinks it's better for me to be on a combined HRT due to the agitation on oestrogel.

If it doesn't suit you then keep trying until you find something that does suit you ;)

Wxx

Tempest

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 04:03:58 PM »

Thank you, Warwick! I'm the same with high anxiety on estrogen only and Professor Lumsden was wonderful in listening to my problems. She has probably done more research than any other individual in the world on the origin and nature of menopause symptoms.

I found this study:

http://www.webmd.com/menopause/news/20100622/progesterone-alone-may-help-hot-flashes

On using micronised Progesterone alone for hot flushes. Mine are so bad now that I get a massive 'aura' before one and have actually vomited on occasion recently! :o

God knows why they are so bad now! xxxxx

Tempest

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 04:21:44 PM »

Adding this link too which is a bit scientifically lightweight, but explains the role Progesterone plays and why so many of us get so anxious during peri menopause (and it also explains why anxiety is rife for us surgical menopause/hysterectomy ladies on estrogen only).

https://www.everywomanover29.com/blog/hormone-secret-progesterone-for-anxiety/

You'll see that Progesterone occupies the GABA receptors in the brain, and these are the very receptors that Valium works on (as well as alcohol and sleeping tablets).

I've long said on here that its no picnic being on estrogen only - as much as many think it must be wonderful, it doesn't feel good to take a stimulating hormone all of the time if it isn't balanced at all by Progesterone. This is the most frequent complaint I see from my fellow surgical menopause ladies - if the estrogen replacement is high enough to eliminate hot flushes, then inevitably they get increased anxiety, palpitations and sleeping problems over time. It's like being over caffeinated ALL OF THE TIME!

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 04:40:35 PM »

Hello sweetie

Nothing ventured - nothing gained

No one knows if this will work but unless you give it a shot you'll never know

Just for the record to other members - progesterone is the devil hormone to so many women but for some, it's welcomed and needed, regardless of whether you have a uterus or not.  It has other properties that certain females need.  I'm one of them, I've tried it and I liked it ! But no one took me seriously when I kept asking for it.

Pinning my hopes on this giving you relief in so many areas Tempest, and if it doesn't fully help, there's options to add to the mix

Xxxxx

Tempest

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 05:37:26 PM »

Thank you so much Annie! I have to give this a try - I know EXACTLY where things will be going if I stay on estrogen only and agree with you wholeheartedly!

You were probably the first person here on MM to be brave enough to say you needed progesterone. If you read Diane Danzbrek's story, you will see so many similarities to you and I (Diane is a member of the BMS and lay spokesperson for the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology too, so completely credible. She was treated by Dr Nick Panay who prescribed her Utrogestan after TAH/BSO).

In Professor Lumsden's exact words to me today, Utrogestan is harmless. Yes, HARMLESS. And someone in her position wouldn't make that statement without knowing all the verifiable facts.

I can but try........Thank you for being a wonderful support and friend, Annie! xxxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 05:42:06 PM »

I am optimistic for you :-)

And hey, when the boot has been on the other foot you were there for me xxxx

Mary G

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 06:59:11 PM »

Tempest, give it a try, Utrogestan does have a calming effect and you will probably find that you sleep well.  Will you be taking it orally or vaginally? 

Out of interest, before you had your ovaries removed, when did you feel at your best i.e. before a period, after a period, mid-cycle? 

Different things work for different people and you won't know until you try.  Please do keep us updated.

Rhiner

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »

Hi Tempest, Wishing you all the luck in the world with this new regime. As you say, she is one of the top brains on meno in the country, so just go with her advice.

All the best, Rx

Tempest

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 07:26:41 PM »

Hi, Mary G! Thank you for your very kind and reassuring words. This is going to sound odd, but to be honest it's 12 years since I had a period now after my hysterectomy so I can't really recall! I think I was pretty ok most of the month apart from the irritability caused from cramping during my period, obviously. I did feel really good whilst I was pregnant though, which may be a clue as Progesterone levels were very high then (I discussed this with Prof. Lumsden today). xxxx

Thank you so much, Rhiner! If you would be so kind, could you remind me of your regime at the moment please? I know you've had BSO and take Utro as you still have your uterus. How are you doing overall just now? I remember you had a dip after your virus - I hope you've recovered fully now? xxxx

Pages: [1] 2 3 4