Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bleeding  (Read 1523 times)

Minniemouse

Bleeding
« on: May 07, 2017, 04:27:01 PM »

I am currently on my 4th Mirena, having had 3 that have migrated or fallen out. I have it for heavy periods and fibroids. I also use Elleste Solo 40mcg patch, not for sweats which I have not had, but brain fog. I felt like this combination suited me - however, after a scan showed my Mirena was in my cervix, I had to have it removed and a new one inserted at the same time. This was 7 weeks ago and I have bled quite heavily ever since. The scan also showed my fibroids have grown. Should I be stopping the patch? I do have some 25mcg patches that were prescribed to me in the beginning, I could try again? I was thinking that the Mirena should thin the lining, but maybe the patch has stopped that? But why wasnt i bleeding this much when the Mirena was in my cervix? I have had a repeat scan and the Mirena is in the correct place, so far! By the way im 51 and menopausal according to blood tests. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks

nearly50

Re: Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 04:37:54 PM »

Sorry, can't comment on hrt as I don't use it, but I don't think you can be definite about being menopausal through blood tests as they fluctuate so much. Hope someone else comes along to comment, what does your doctor say?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 04:44:02 PM »

If the fibroids have grown then it could be a good idea to stop the oestrogen. At 51 you may well still be peri meno so producing quite a bit of your own oestrogen.
Perhaps have 3-4 weeks of no oestrogen to see if the bleeding stops. It can take up to 6 months for bleeding to stop once a Mirena is fitted and it might take longer if you have fibroids that need to shrink.
DG x

Minniemouse

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 05:27:43 PM »

Thank you both, I am waiting to hear from my Doctor who has been away.

Minniemouse

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »

Hi again,
not heard from my doctor as yet - and still bleeding. However, i have now dropped down on my oestrogen patches (i had some still in date that i had started off with) and for the last 2 days i have had hot flushes. I have not had them before this. Is it a side effect of dropping down on the patches? Or is it that the patch i'm currently using is just not sufficient and i'm not getting enough oestrogen? Help please!!!!