Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Doctor thinks I am nuts  (Read 12927 times)

Tempest

Re: Doctor thinks I am nuts
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »

I have visions that any time my name comes up on their system at my practice, it flashes up 'nutcase alert' and sirens start blaring..... ;) ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2017, 03:59:48 PM »

It's so that they can recommend the 'correct' GP   :-\ - however!!  Several years ago the receptionist here would make personal phone calls to patients with results, i.e. Is that Mrs/Mr ????, so that anyone in the Waiting Room knew what the patient was being seen for  :(.  Then I sat in the Waiting Room and could hear every word from the Surgery so I told the GP as I was next 'in'.  They then got a radio as background ....... in a small village of 900-ish it wasn't 'on' to know about what others were going for!   Two receptionists were also talking about a neighbour ....... I put a stop to that straight away, telling them that although not a friend she would be horrified to know that I was now aware of her problems!!!  OK talking about patients per se but do NOT name them  >:(

What was the question  :D .......

Annie0710

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »

They don't ask the reason at ours to get the appropriate dr.  All my problems are meno and they have one gp designated each time for call backs.  I think at our surgery they want to know the reason so they can have a quick butchers at your recent activity at the surgery

babyjane

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2017, 07:10:56 PM »

ours too sparkle.  I didn't want to praise ours too much as it seems like I am bragging but we are very lucky with ours.  We have been with them for 37 years.  I was expecting our first baby when we registered with our practice.

I wish everyone here could have a good doctor  :(

Tempest

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »

Thank you so much,  Sparkle and Babyjane. I used to have a lovely GP in the little village I used to live in. GP's like these are such treasures.

Yes - empathy! There seems a real lack of it amongst GP's these days particularly. On the other hand, most of the Consultant's I see have a really nice manner and are extremely helpful and empathetic. I don't know what I would have done recently without my old Gynaecologist. I've known him now for over 10 years and he has picked up and acted upon things my GP should have referred me for straight away and really went out of his way.

I told my Psychiatrist today how I feel now about going to my GP. It really is getting that bad and he was asking about my HRT, so I told him I was just using what I have left over to avoid going to the surgery as much as possible until I have to. No doubt we''ll talk about this more when I see him next.

MammaG

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2017, 02:59:58 PM »

My GP, a male would write to me always asking if the Steroid had worked. He always listened to my whacky ideas about my meds, wrote to the consultants who invariably told him I was right about certain meds being used " off licence" e.g. Retin a for my alopecia. He trained GP's but retired last June. He wrote to me personally wishing me well.

How do you reconcile yourself to this rubbish care ( using the term loosely)  :'(.

I had him for 10 yrs. They dont prescribe bioodentical HRT but he told me "if you think this is what you need, lets do it and see. God I miss just knowing he is there.

Last April 2016. I was levered into a mammo. I refused a biopsy after calcifications were found as they moved so fast it freaked me. They admitted they cant tell what it is and I could face surgery and radiation for a slow growing tumour that may never harm me. He supported me in that he acknowledged my knowledge. So glad that letter is on the system as I feel I am alone.

Anxiety is back but I dont feel well in myself. Think my Lupus is flaring with all the stress. Steroid has done a number on my hormones for sure. Im on the Estrogel for now, have to take the Utrogestan soon. I did not tell them i was using vaginally as she wouldnt understand why. Think I have to swallow it now. I was getting a period from this way but not the oral way. Not sure it was getting in.

Time will tell if this awful anxiety dissapates. Very worried.

CLKD

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2017, 10:51:00 PM »

Anxiety can be eased by meds.  Have you tried Rescue Remedy ?

MammaG

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »

I take Diazepam. She, new doctor reduced my dose when she took over. I was only on 5mg and took 10 in extreme anxiety. Only 1 mg  reduction but stopped it dead and said it wouldnt affect me. Well it affected me.

Anxiety wont go away. I feel traumatised since the other week and now with no support medically. I dunno what to do. Im struggling to work and am not getting sales. I cant get signed off as I dont get sick pay. Im kind of hoping they will sack me as the job sucks even though I work from home. I am sure the isolation and being tied alone to the house has made my mental health worse. If I were unemployed i could go out at least.I log in and sit there trying to sell, no one speaks to me all day from the job except to say hello and goodbye or sell more. There is no support or training, were just told to sell. We sell or we fall under and get sacked. How the heck I got here I dont know   :-\

CLKD

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2017, 11:52:55 AM »

Ring the GP Surgery and tell them that Valium used sensibly is not addictive and that reducing the dose from 5mg - which ain't a lot after all! - has caused you to feel suicidal ;-).  They can see from your repeat prescriptions how often you are using in order to ease anxiety symptoms.  Or ask for other drugs which are available for an as-necessary basis.  I found Valium taken the night B4 an event enabled me to kind of cope, as does the drug I am prescribed ....... I know that it works so don't need to take more than prescribed [1mg] !  My GP and I discuss requirements every 3 months.

You are not nuts you have hormonal problems!!!!  Is there a Pharmacist you could talk with?

MammaG

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »

CLKD, I think the reduction has affected me too. I cant say I am suicidal though because I dont trust them not to try and lock me up. Besides I am not quite suicidal yet. She is so cold. Called me and reduced. I said I have been on them for 10yrs +, they help me with anxiety. I have never increased except for extreme anxt. I dont believe tolerance is the same for everyone. I was doing ok on the 5mg a day. Pretty sure it was all just a perfect storm of physical and emotional mixed with hormones and stress...Bingo, you break. Its not rocket science. I really do belive a little compassion is worth 1lb of cure. Thanks for all your support guys

CLKD

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2017, 02:55:38 PM »

I can't remember - forgive me - but have you been referred to a psychologist or psychiatrist?  That way leads to discussion about the whys and wherefores of Valium-type medication leading to a better understanding of your mental health, in fact it isn't easy to have someone 'locked up' ;-).  Several 'experts' have to be involved with regards a 'section order', it is no longer up to one person to suggest that someone needs to be 'taken away'. 

If you spoke to a Community Psychiatric Support Worker/Nurse you may be reassured on this, or maybe contact your local MIND branch.  They have walk-in Centres in some areas.  I was really surprised at the support I had when I sent an e-mail a couple of years ago when particularly vulnerable to find out when they were open, I didn't need to go there in the end but knowing there was an escape route really helped. 

It doesn't take much to rock mental health!!! and by you self medicating as you have managed actually saves the NHS time and money. 

MammaG

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2017, 04:59:29 PM »

No, my GP gave me the Valium as the Anxiety was overwhelming. With Lupus anxiety often comes as a result ofthe body being too weak. Well woth me anyway it did. I get a flare and try to keep going and the anxiety hits. Cant shake it this time. I was ok till I got the Steroids and then took the Utrogestan.

Doubled up on the estrogen to see if I felt better today. I have felt so much worse.

I think the best thing to do is avoid the doctor till I feel better as ironic as that sounds

Hurdity

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2017, 05:41:28 PM »

Hi mammaG

The expert on Valium addiction and reduction on here is Dana. If you stop it dead - yes you will have withdrawal symptoms as it is strongly addictive, I understand (in the sense that there will be severe withdrawal symptoms on stopping). From what she says in order to come off it or reduce you need to do micro-tapering. Hopefully she will see this and help?

You would not normally expect to feel better (moodwise) instantly after increasing oestrogen - although this does happen during the menstrual cycle ( within hours/a day or two). I think taking oestrogen externally acts differently from when released during our cycle though.

Maybe now is the time to have a look at your job and see if there is anything else you could be doing with your skills - something that maybe less stressful or more social? Doesn't sound like it is the best thing for you at this time as you are struggling.

Hurdity x

MammaG

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2017, 06:02:17 PM »

You are right Hurdity. The job is appauling. I certainly cant sell in this frame of mind.

The Dr cut me by 1mg straight from 5mg. Its a small amount but quite a big % I think in reduction terms. I tapered myself down from 30mg following a car crash and did it slowly. It wasnt easy but I didnt fall apart. Unfortunately she just told me you cant have the 5mg tablets anymore, no one can.

Need to find another job.

CLKD

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2017, 10:08:29 PM »

5mg is not always addictive - take it from one who used it for years either 'as necessary' or twice a day.  It's a low maintenance dose after all  ::). I don't know where you live but I would speak to a Pharmacist as 5mg should be available.  What does NICE suggest?

Little steps MammaG - this too will pass. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5