Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Scared To Try HRT Again  (Read 21395 times)

Tempest

Scared To Try HRT Again
« on: May 01, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »

Hello ladies - me again! ::)

So I'm not going to post oodles about my meeting with the Professor of Endocrinology as I've kinda covered that elsewhere except to say that he sincerely thinks I should be on at least a low dose of HRT, probably for life. I've now been off HRT for well over 2 months.

Those of you who have been around a while know that I've had pretty tough times with HRT so far, and so I'm scared by this prospect.

I'm meeting with Professor Lumsden next Tuesday but I'm at a loss to know what to say, what to ask for or even if I can put myself through the start up of another HRT again.

Patches are a big no - they were the worst for consistency for me and I'm sick of the supply problems to be honest (although I know Evorel seems to be consistently available, but I don't do well with large areas of adhesives in any case).

I had a rash with the new type Oestrogel - the old type was fine regarding skin compatability but it's ne'er nigh impossible to get. Not sure about Sandrena?

Tibolone - don't even go there! This is why I'm off HRT at the moment! :o

Oral estradiol? I'm not keen to be honest as it isn't really a long term option. Or is it? Anyone had any good experiences with oral estradiol only? (I know you did for years, Annie)!

Premarin again? Ditto oral route considerations and I got awfully dizzy and vomited on the 0.625mg dose. 0.3mg was pretty pointless.....

Aaargh! I'm at a loss! Any ideas? Thoughts? I need to have 'something' in the way of ideas to take to Professor Lumsden, I think.

Thank you.........sorry for being so difficult and tiresome. Ive turned it into something of an artform, I fear!
xxxxxx

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:56:33 PM by Tempest »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Scared To Try HRT Again
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 05:02:01 PM »

Is there any rush?

Think about how you did/not react to the various forms of HRT - maybe make a list for comparison?

Think about which symptoms you would like to ease?

Taking a list to the appt. gives you the chance for discussion.  No need to say 'yes' until you've had time to think about it.

Tempest

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 05:07:32 PM »

Good idea about the list, CLKD! I'm also in the process of trying to find another GP surgery at the moment, so I want to come away with something 'in hand' from the clinic, as it were.

I'll list the pro's and con's of each I've tried - I'll get in a kerfuffle if I don't. Thank you! xxxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 05:13:24 PM »

I am the World's BEST list maker  ;D ......... otherwise my worries get lost in the over-all grind.

edelweiss

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »

Hi Tempest, first of all very good luck for your appointment with Prof Lumsden. She seemed excellent on the tv programme.

I think a list sounds great, and it will help you focus so you can get the most out of your time with her. You could create a grid of what you've trialled, and the effects you experienced.

Perhaps it would help if you tell her which has been your best HRT to date - was there one that stands out? Obviously tibolone was the worst by far.

Hopefully the Prof will have some good suggestions for you.

I'd love it if she can solve all your problems, and make you happy and well. xxx

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »

Hi Tempest

Noones ever bothered to read my lists :-(.  Mind you they were blimming long ones and it was good writing them (hell sufferring them though)

Oral elleste solo 2mg -  this was a miracle pill for me for 13 happy years with NO side effects.  I'm so sad everything went wrong and I don't think I'll ever fully know WHAT went wrong but I'd give my right arm to feel like I did for those 13 years.  It was that good I never ever thought about hormones or menopause x

edelweiss

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 06:28:30 PM »

Hi Annie, I can so relate to that comment 'it was so good I never ever thought about hormones or menopause'. How true.

And how strange that it was good for so long - 13 years. I'm very sorry it didn't last.

I wish I had a magic wand - I'd be very busy - and it would be the best job in the world! xxx

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 06:37:03 PM »

Aw thankyou

I didn't believe the gps that I was in menopause because I was on hrt.  At the same time I had low b12 but they would only agree to 3 months tablets as they didn't think that was the issue

It was an awful time :-(

edelweiss

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 06:51:38 PM »

So Elleste Solo stopped working in 2012 Annie, but you kept taking it until 2015 - is that right? And the gynae said you were in '2nd meno'?

Tempest I'd wave my magic wand at you too. I'd rub out all the bad times, and give you perfect hormonal balance for good. And deep and peaceful sleep - without the need for Horlicks  ;) xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »

Hi Tempest - I can only echo what the others have said about trying to work out which one was the best. I would still maintain that a low dose patch such as Estradot - changed - say - every 3 days - should give you a more consistent dose, mainly because the dose is fixed and not subject to the different ways you might apply it and the area of skin covered etc. Even so as you know women vary between each other as to how much they absorb - but how about starting with a tiny dose of Estradot say even half the 25 mcg patch? Stick it to the same part of your body eg left and right butt cheek - without any products on the skin and then see how you feel and ever so slowly build up? If you did decide to try this could you get a good supply in (I think you see a private dr?) or ask for special dispensation from the pharmacy at the meno clinic or something to be dispensed with a larger quantity due to your sensitivity to hormonal change?

Sandrena gel is more concentrated than Estrogel so maybe a bit less easy to ensure a consistent dose - if you are trying very low doses?

Good luck with your search...

Hurdity x

Wrensong

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 07:13:54 PM »

Hi Tempest, having dipped into the forum for some time before joining, I know a little of your story and what a truly horrific time you have had.  No wonder you are scared.  I'm not sure why the Endo feels you would be best to try HRT again, but I agree with the suggestion of going back to the form you had fewest problems with & starting slowly if you do decide to go down this route.  I would certainly avoid Estradot as I've had no end of trouble getting hold of 75mcg patches.  I would first make sure Prof Lumsden knows exactly how frightening the prospect is for you.  Please don't be rushed into any decision.  I was very reluctant to start HRT myself, but couldn't go on as I was any longer & with some excellent support from my Endo, GP & Gynae I'm now glad I tried, though seem to have some way to go before finding my match!  I  really hope things go well for you whatever you decide - it will be about time.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:17:34 AM by Wrensong »

Tempest

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »

Thank you so very much for your kindness Annie, Edelweiss and Hurdity (and patience in helping me)!  I'm actually having a little tear at the moment because you're all SO kind to me here!

Edelweiss, if I had that magic wand I would certainly be waving it over all the lovely ladies here too! Oh, how I hope they can find some way to help you!!! Hurdity, do you have any ideas what might be going on in Edelweiss's case?

Dear Annie! I always think of you and how you were so contented on the Elleste Solo all those years! How I wish it could have stayed that way for you. I mean, even the experts don't really know what happens in these cases such as you and Edelweiss do they? As we are living longer I think so much more research needs to be done into the complexities of menopause and how to best deliver HRT, especially as we know HRT is now safe to use for much longer.

I'll certainly be taking plenty of notes - Professor Lumsden is very good that way and actually takes the time to go through things. 

I'm going to mull through your suggestions, Hurdity. The gel for sure has a lot of variability in dose. I'm just concerned about my previous problems with absorbing transdermally though. I have to at least try to get a method/level that's stable and that I feel reasonably ok on somehow (which would seem like a total miracle if it would happen)! I'm going to take whatever I try very steadily and give it plenty of time this time. xxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 08:06:45 PM »

So Elleste Solo stopped working in 2012 Annie, but you kept taking it until 2015 - is that right? And the gynae said you were in '2nd meno'?

Tempest I'd wave my magic wand at you too. I'd rub out all the bad times, and give you perfect hormonal balance for good. And deep and peaceful sleep - without the need for Horlicks  ;) xxx

Yes that's right, yet my new symptoms in 2012 were nothing like the ones I had 13 years earlier, a classic was in 1999 I had horrendous night sweats but didn't have any 2nd time round (just started having the odd few since Tibolone but they're not bothering me)

Annie0710

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 08:11:17 PM »

Tempest why don't you try elleste solo 1mg and buy a pill separater so start on 0.5mg ?   I don't care anymore how it gets in me as long as it helps even a tiny bit and it might just work for you

Xxxx

Tempest

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »

Wrensong, thank you so very much! Im so glad youre receiving such support from your team and are making some progress. It sure is tough going finding that match, isnt it?

My Endo. thinks I'm still pretty young to be without HRT with no ovaries, and is concerned that I am having so many problems with maintaining blood sugar, blood pressure and possibly adrenal function since my surgery. He thinks HRT can only help to restore some form of balance as estrogen helps to regulate all of these things. I'll be discussing his concerns with Professor Lumsden too.

Good luck going forward - I hope you find an HRT to suit you soon. Please let me know how you're getting along, won't you? I'll be thinking of you! xxxxx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7