Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Thyroid antibodies  (Read 9279 times)

Chi chi

Re: Thyroid antibodies
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 09:17:39 AM »

Thanks for all the replies ladies,
Just a thought re blood tests, I use a service called citydoc, if you go on their website you can search for local chemists where they will do the tests for you, results usually come back in a couple of days (depending on what tests you have).

Re the B12 I thought the same thing and had some tests done

Red cell folate   239 nmol.     Range 285.4 - 1474.7. Low
Active B12.       70 pmol.       Range 25.1 - 165.0
HCT.                 0.454.          Range 0.33 - 0.45.      Slightly high
MCHC.              315 g/l.        Range 300 - 350

The Dr didn't think these were anything to worry about but Agreed there was no harm in trying B12 shots so I had 5 loading doses (all paid for privately)! He said that these would be enough to last me years? Stupidly I didn't re test afterwards  ::)

I just don't know anymore  ::) went to see private Dr yesterday to discuss things further but I'll prob start a new post about that.

Wrensong

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 09:44:46 AM »

Hi Chi Chi, glad to know you managed to see someone yesterday & hope this may have thrown more light on the source of the problems so that you are nearer effective treatment.  Out of touch with the forum as I'm away & out of routine at present, so have not yet seen the other thread you mentioned possibly starting.  Anyway, do hope you manage to find some answers. 

If thyroid/B12 do turn out to be implicated, please do push for treatment with adequate ongoing monitoring to ensure meds are at optimal doses for you. 

With the NHS so overloaded & some GPs' lack of knowledge about thyroid problems, it can be all too easy for patients to slip through the net.  I'm ex-NHS staff & passionate about the service, but have also felt obliged to seek private treatment in situations where it's been obvious I've needed more help than the overstretched NHS system can provide.  No-one's fault and I'm lucky to have had the means to do this on occasion, I know.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:44:44 AM by Wrensong »

Chi chi

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 01:06:55 PM »

Thanks Wrensong, I am really lucky and thankful that we can afford to go private, just wish we didn't have to to find out what's wrong  :-\

Wrensong

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 06:30:34 PM »

I agree Chi Chi.  It can be so frustrating, not to mention stressful,  when a problem goes on for any length of time and you can't get the help or answers you need.  I think that in complex cases where there's more than one condition going on, or a lot of history to get through, the extra consultation time the private sector usually allows, means the doctor is less likely to feel under pressure to hurry things along.  Sadly, most GPs don't have the luxury of this sort of leeway, which is unsatisfactory for everyone concerned, to say the least.  I'm lucky that my NHS GP is thorough and doesn't rush me, but I'm also glad that she feels she can say if I need to make another appointment as we are running out of time.

Wrensong

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 06:32:53 PM »

Stellajane - thank you for that.  Reassuring to know another hypothyroid patient feels the same way I do!   :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]