Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: using vagifem before a mear test  (Read 14435 times)

nigela

using vagifem before a mear test
« on: April 24, 2017, 01:55:21 PM »

Hi, Due a smear in a fortnight and my GP has presribed vagifem as they were just getting blood last time due to the thin skin. Do I need to take it for the full 2 weeks and how many days do I need to be off this before the test? Use it at night? (pessary) Also reading the leaflet scared me! My Mum had DVT and I'm scared of blood clots etc. I know it is only low-10mg so I take it should be safe enough. Are these side effects more with long term use? Anyone used this prior to a smear and found it OK? I guess normal lubricant wouldn't be enough as they need the skin thicker, am I right? Never saw My GP as they are booked up for 10 weeks at our surgery so I was just sent the prescription.
Thanks

ancient runner

Re: using vagifem before a mear test
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 02:12:15 PM »

Hello Nigela
I can't tell you how long you'd need to be not using it for before a smear but assume your GP will have prescribed it in the knowledge that you need to use it for 14 days consecutively as a starter dose. You then use it x2 a week.
If your skin is that thin it sounds as though you should then keep on using it. Please don't worry about the leaflet - the amount of oestrogen you get in using vagifem for a whole year is roughly the same as one HRT tablet and once you've done the 14 day loading dose very little will get into your wider body.
Those leaflets always treat oestrogen as if it's crack cocaine, no matter what dose is being discussed.
Good luck with your smear and hope you feel more comfortable as the vagifem does its work.

Silly

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »

Hi, Due a smear in a fortnight and my GP has presribed vagifem as they were just getting blood last time due to the thin skin. Do I need to take it for the full 2 weeks and how many days do I need to be off this before the test? Use it at night? (pessary) Also reading the leaflet scared me! My Mum had DVT and I'm scared of blood clots etc. I know it is only low-10mg so I take it should be safe enough. Are these side effects more with long term use? Anyone used this prior to a smear and found it OK? I guess normal lubricant wouldn't be enough as they need the skin thicker, am I right? Never saw My GP as they are booked up for 10 weeks at our surgery so I was just sent the prescription.
Thanks

Nigela,

Could you update how you got on with the vagifem and your smear test.  It sounded very painful the last time you had a try.  I too am so put off by the leaflet and so haven't even collected my prescription too worried about trying it that the side effects might be worse than I feel down there now.  I thought my smear was due in May so was relieved when I rang to check and they said July.  I was thinking of going to the Dr at GUM clinic when I do.  Good luck X

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 11:52:12 AM »

48 hours before stop taking , I believe it's on the instructions.

flutterby

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 03:57:53 PM »

Hi Nigela I had a smear test recent and as Maryjane said 48hrs before is on the instructions. This was the first time I had had it done without being on HRT and only using Ovestin.  I mentioned it to the nurse and she said she would use the thinner speculum. It was totally painless Flutterbyx

nigela

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »

hi folks. Decided after reading the side effects leaflet, that rather than not using it at all, that I would use it every other day for the 2 weeks. So I will have used 7 in all. Hoping this will make the skin thick enough for them to do the test without getting blood like the last time. Only used one up to now and at the moment all ok. I am a bit of a chicken Im afraid!
Nigela

Daisycat

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 12:01:43 PM »

48 hours before stop taking , I believe it's on the instructions.

I can't find that information in the leaflet..I wish I could because I've just had a dreadful time trying, (and failing  :() to have my smear.

I have been on vagifem for some months now for difficulty having intercourse and saw my GP 6 weeks ago.  She knew I wanted to have a smear so she suggested taking vagifem daily for 3 weeks then book smear for the 4th.  The smear leaflet said stop taking tablets or creams 2 days before so I did.

Nurse said no it has to be 2 weeks!

So rebooked and went today 2 weeks without :o :o :o

Got speculum in Ok, but no chance of opening it. BIG ouch :o :o  Still hurting now 4 hours later.

She intends to refer me to colposcopy clinic?  Apparently they all the difficult cases.  I am sooo upset. Still bawling too.

I feel like a shrivelled up old hag  :'( :'( :'(

Do any of you think the 2 weeks without was relevant to the failure?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 01:21:30 PM »

It tells you in the booklet that arrived with your smear-test notification.  Why not ring your Surgery?

Daisycat

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »

Yes the smear test leaflet said 2 days, but the nurse and 'the lab' said 2 weeks. 

So I duly went without for 2 weeks and am sure that's why it was agony today :-\

I have the earliest appointment possible with my GP 29th June.

flutterby

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 02:58:51 PM »

Hi Daisycat i find it upsetting that you have gone through this pain unnecessarily. The NICE guidelines say 2 weeks before an operation not a smear test. I doubled checked with the nurse before mine and she said 48 hours was ok. I would book to see your GP again and explain what happened. I think some training is needed. If I'd have not used Ovestin for 2 weeks I would have probably had similar problems to you. It was therefore a bit unfair to call you a 'difficult' case.
Hugs Flutterbyx
Ps while I was writing this you posted when you say 'the lab' who said

Daisycat

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 03:50:59 PM »

Flutterby thank you so much.  I am now crying because you are so kind.

The nurse rang the lab while I was with her.  I don't see how hormones affect the cells though do you?  Bits of tablet might be in the way maybe do you think?

I will talk to my GP about it definitely.  She told me to do vagifem every night for 3 weeks and then smear on 4th.

I feel like I've suffered for a fortnight for nothing :(

Ah well I'll get it sorted :)

Thank you again

xx

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 07:50:39 AM »

Yes as you say Daisycat the leaflet says 48 hours not two weeks! How frustrating for you to have to go through this.

Are you now going to go through the two week loading period ie Vagifem daily for a fortnight then twice weekly - to make sure it works again properly? If you don't have enough (Vagifem) I would book an urgent appointment - not wait until 29 June, in view of your pain. Sounds like you should be on this long term.

Hurdity x

Maryjane

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 07:52:48 AM »

You can have a smear with a virgin / small speculum no need for a big one at all . As per my gynae who only uses small ones regardless, my local GP nurse knee it was 48 hours for vagifem , total lack of training : up to date across the board . Not good.

Daisycat

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »

Hurdity I don't have enough of the vagifem no only about 10 tablets.... :-\  I don't want to see a male Dr though so will ask whether they can ask the DR to put me a prescription ready.

Maryjane
thank you so much for your reply.  The speculum went in ok, but no way could she open it...it felt like I was being ripped apart :( I think my GP will sort their lack of training out when I can se her she is great.

I love this message board you are all fabulous and totally get it :)

xxx

Maryjane

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 08:22:22 AM »

The virgin speculum doesn't open as wide .
Pages: [1] 2