Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hi I'm new and wondered if anyone else has experienced what I am going through  (Read 2134 times)

shaz8465

I'm 52 and had FSH blood tests prior to removal of Mirena coil which had been in for six years. FSH levels were high and GP said I was post menopausal ( Happy Days ) or so I thought. I started bleeding in January so was sent for all the usual tests. Within two weeks I had a hysteroscopy and two biopsy and a removal of a small polyp and my Mirena was also removed by the Gynaecologist. All results were fine and I had a clear smear back last October. So I stopped worrying myself sick and life settled down. Until middle of February, I had a full on period lasting seven days. I let this go but since then have had two more heavy periods!!!  Went to GP today as I thought what is going on and she was as confused as I am as my FSH levels show I am post menopausal!!!! The upshot is I have to repeat the FSH blood tests and be referred back to the hospital. To add insult to injury I had to take the morning after pill today as my husband and I thought we were ok. I was mortified at the pharmacy.  So I am back to practically have a breakdown with all the anxiety, has anyone had anything like this happen to them, I am so scared there is something seriously wrong with me :(

Taz2

Hi shaz8465 - you have come to the right place!

Do you know what your FSH reading was? I only ask because I was told by both my GP and the Menopause Clinic that my reading of  127 showed that I was post meno and would never have another period. I had gone nine months without one then but at the eleven month mark I started bleeding again and had monthly periods for a further eighteen months before finally starting HRT (due to severe flushes and sweats) so I would say don't worry. Everyone is different. The only time to be concerned is if you go for a year without a period and then bleed again. This should always be reported to your GP. From what I've read online even if you have a high FSH reading you do need to wait for a year after removal of the coil if you are under 55 before you can stop contraception. I can't find it at the moment though - sorry.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

shaz8465

Hi Taz2

Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't know about what happens after coil removal. I don't know what the FSH levels were but my GP and the Gynaecologist said I wouldn't have anymore periods!!!  Why on earth don't they know what you know. I feel so much better now but I will still go to the hospital to make sure everything is ok. You can't believe how much better I feel now, thank you again. I will let you know what happens :)

MicheleMaBelle

Hi Shaz- sorry can't help with your comment but just wanted to say hi and welcome. Hopefully you'll get this all sorted and please try not to worry.  :foryou:

Taz2

Hi again Shaz - I found this which seems to say that you need both an elevated FSH count (on more than one occasion I think) plus a year without periods to confirm post menopause.

"What about follicle-stimulating hormone testing?
Sometimes, elevated follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) levels are measured to confirm menopause. When a woman's FSH blood level is consistently elevated to 30 mIU/mL or higher, and she has not had a menstrual period for a year, it is generally accepted that she has reached menopause."

Taz x

Elizabethrose

Hi shaz8465

:welcomemm:   

I agree with Taz, blood tests alone are not reliable enough. I've had FSH levels off the Richter scale many times through my very long and drawn out peri, equally I've had exceptionally high oestrogen levels too. The real measure, unless you've had a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, is a full year without a bleed. I am surprised you weren't told this and a bit of a worry given you weren't using contraceptives!!

Don't panic about your hospital visit but it is always important to check unexpected bleeding. The occasional MOT is always a good idea and it will put your mind at rest.

Wishing you well x                                         

shaz8465

Hi me again

Just had letter from hospital saying I have to go for a scan,biopsy etc again!!!! but I am not post menopause. I went through all this in January 17 and all was fine. What the hell is my GP playing at, I am sure she is trying to kill me with anxiety. Having another FSH test tomorrow despite only having coil removed in January 17, absolutely terrified once more :( can anyone help??

coldethyl

Your GP is following the correct procedures for any suspicious bleeding -  they have to investigate, even if it's just a case of it being due to your mirena being removed- obviously you feel anxious but I'd say far better to be checked now and it be nothing than be left and it turns out you did have a problem.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

shaz8465

Hi, just an update, my first FSH was 53 and last weeks was 26, GP is so confused especially as another period has rocked up 28 days after the last one and the one before that etc since I had the coil removed. Still waiting to see what Gynaecologist has to say about this. I'm calm about it now as I must be ovulating, Happy days, thanks for all your help and understanding xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Will you take a list of queries with you?