Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: small red liver spots while on HRT and monthly bleed  (Read 2245 times)

Cocobra

small red liver spots while on HRT and monthly bleed
« on: April 18, 2017, 06:21:06 PM »

Dear All,

I am new to this wonderful forum (have learnt a lot already!) so I hope you don't mind me creating a thread as a 44-year-old, menopausal woman on HRT since September 2016 (Elleste 2mg solo and Utrogestan for 14 days). I understand it may be too personal but I have two questions which others may recognise:
1) I was in the sun a couple of weekends ago with my legs one of which was immobile as I have gone through foot surgery two weeks ago (not fun!) and two days later my immobile leg got covered in tiny red liver spots. I was wondering whether HRT is the culprit for these spots. I have read on the forum oestrogen stimulates melanin production.
2) I have read others on the forum have this and may be down to being peri-menopausal rather than fully menopausal and therefore having one's own hormones circulating around, but I have very different bleeds every month: some months I have very heavy bright bleeds (only lasting a 2/3 days) and some other it's all very dark, brown/black. Apologies for too much information. But is this normal? My next appointment with my gynaecologist is in December so I have no way of finding out until then.

Many thanks for anyone who can recognise any of this and has any views.

dangermouse

Re: small red liver spots while on HRT and monthly bleed
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »

Could it have been ****ly heat? That tends to itch though which you didn't mention.

If not it could just be an abnormal reaction to the sun (which hormone ups and downs can cause) and maybe less blood flow to that leg made it more prone.

Katia

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 03:22:09 PM »

It may just be the sun.  Is this your first time in it for a while?  I tend to get a rash if I haven't been in the sun for a while.  My body then adjusts to it.  I'd see if a little hyracortisol cream clears it up.  It should if it's sun related.

I am having the same bleed problems as you.  I've just got another bleed two weeks aftr the last one.  They are the same, one normal and one brownish.  I take cilest and was thinking switching to HRT would have solved the bleed problems, but now I'm not sure.  I also feel not quite myself.

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »

To answer re the bleeds, the red bleed will be your own period and the brown is the withdrawal (should get 2 days after stopping Utrogestan).

With the Cilest if having pill breaks you should have the bleed 2 days after you start the break but it's usually a fuller, more red bleed. If you also have another brown bleed then that's likely to be spotting or breakthrough bleeding, where your pill isn't high enough in progesterone vs the oestrogen to stop the lining from breaking away.

Cocobra

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 08:58:26 PM »

Thanks everyone for your kind replies and advice.

The sun, I agree; must be a mixture of things and not particularly HRT related. No hitch but first bare legs in the sun!
On the bleed, interesting to hear that the brown is the withdrawal. What I don't understand is that it comes very irregularly, not quite as it happens to Katia, but I sometimes get this brown bleed half way through my 14 days of Utrogestan! Who knows ... Thank you again.