Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Blood tests  (Read 1803 times)

Jogoldie

Blood tests
« on: April 08, 2017, 06:36:35 AM »

Hello

I'm feeling a bit confused. About 4 weeks ago I had blood taken and was asked to see GP. He told me that some level was high which suggests I am in the stage of peri menopause. He also said my iron levels were low and wanted to retest my blood and urine. I had more bloods taken and handed in a blood sample. He also told me to think about starting HRT but he highly recommends it. I phoned yesterday for results and Dr has marked 'satisfactory, no further action'. I am now confused and unsure what I'm supposed to do. Anyone else had a similar experiences?

Thanks Joanne

Ju Ju

Re: Blood tests
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 07:28:55 AM »

It means that either that double checking showed all is ok or that whatever caused questionable levels have resolved.

How do you feel? Do you feel better after whatever preceded your needing blood tests being taken?

I've had to go back several times after infection, before the results were satisfactory. They are checking that results are not worsening or indicating the need for further investigation or treatment.

The question of whether you take HRT is up to you and maybe needs more thought and discussion with your GP. You can ask questions here as well. Some members of the forum are knowledgable and of browse through all the information on the website.

I think sometimes medics forget that us lay people do not share their expertise and do not explain. It's up to us to ask why, I'm afraid. If you go back to discuss HRT, you can ask.

nearly50

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 08:39:59 AM »

I think you should find out what your ferritin levels are as doctors are happy for them to be as low as 15, when they should be a lot higher. Maybe worth making an appointment for someone to talk through the results, and as Ju Ju says, whatever it was that took you there in tge first place.

Are your periods still regular and do you have flushes or any other peri symptoms?

Jogoldie

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 10:23:09 PM »

Hi

Thanks for replying. We've been away so not had chance to check phone much

I still haven't had a period since December and this week I've felt really good, no joint aches or fatigue, but I'm not at work which must help. Not had hot flushes or night sweats for few weeks now. I actually got a txt today from my surgery asking me to give them a call re blood results. I called them and apparently my iron level is slightly low so I've to start taking iron tablets and see Dr beginning of May. Hopefully I'll get some answers then.

Thanks Joanne