Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Potassium elevated  (Read 2725 times)

LilyAndEsme

Potassium elevated
« on: April 06, 2017, 07:27:45 AM »

Hello all,
This is angelindiskie. I've had to sign up again because of technical problems.

My blood test results came back last week. B12 is elevated and potassium is elevated. I've been on a high protein low carb diet for the last month or so and I'm wondering if that could be the cause. But I wouldn't have thought so. I'm very concerned about these latest results as I've been googling.

Anyone else have elevated potassium levels? And what was the cause? The blood test for potassium has been repeated already. I have an appointment today with the GP but I could really do with some support. I'm very anxious about this. :-\

Hope you're all doing well.

Angelindiskie x
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:31:00 AM by LilyAndEsme »

Annie0710

Re: Potassium elevated
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:15:25 AM »

Raised b12 really isn't a problem so never worry about that one, any excess b12 is pee'd out that your body doesn't need

Raised potassium..... I don't know about naturally raised potassium , my dad was given the wrong dose potassium tablets which sent his levels soaring (I don't know numbers, just extremely high) and it shut down his kidneys with not a good outcome. 

I think naturally raised potassium is not a concern as long as it's not dangerously high.  I have just under the range levels so try to drink coconut water each week

Just wait and see what doc says, at least it's been picked up so can be dealt with x
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:54:58 AM by Annie0710 »

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 10:34:58 AM »

About 95% of raised potassium results are due to technical problems with the taking of the test, if the blood is taken too fast or too slow or you clench your hand for too long this gives wildy inaccurate results ( used to work at Dr;'s).  This is fairly obvious as the result will be wildy off the scale and they just redo the test.

If your result is elevated but within reason then again they redo the test to see if its still the same and then if it is they will do other blood tests to rule out conditions that can cause it.

So there is a good chance that your next test will be normal. I know someone who was eating about 5 bananas a day on a diet and she had high potassium. Look at your diet and see if you are eating a large amount of fruit/veg that are full of potassium.

I generally have low potassium levels but since I started eating beetroot every day mine has for the first time got to smack in the middle of normal range so proves diet has huge effect.

Google high potassium foods and check - much less stressful than what Dr Google says could be wrong >:(

Sarai

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 06:03:49 PM »

Are you on b12 supplements or injections?
Unfortunately high b12 in the absence of any supplementation is a cause for concern as it means it's being held in the liver for some reason.
You only wee out excess b12 if you are supplementing and have too much.