Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: New to HRT - Elleste 1mg issues  (Read 2002 times)

birdlady

New to HRT - Elleste 1mg issues
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:02:58 PM »

Hi: I'm new to this forum, hoping for some support and advice!

I'm 46.5. A few months ago suddenly started having terrible night sweats and insomnia, and a missed period. I have a young toddler so decided I couldn't cope without some help. I also have mild-moderate CFS. Bloods showed sky high FSH levels.

GP suggested Elleste 1mg to start with for 3 months. I am now on month 2. It's been a bit turbulent, I can cope with the 2 weeks mild cramping then spotting/then bleed on the green progesterone tablets but it's the white estradil ones that are giving me problems. It's the same this month as last month when I started taking them, sudden depression, anxiety and mood swings, exhaustion, fatigue, headaches and cold shivers/freezing cold like flu about 3 days in. The night flushes are minimal now so that's a plus and sleep in better than it was before I started on the HRT. What I'm not sure is whether this is a reaction to the estradil or coming off progesterone, or whether the 1mg isn't strong enough.

Any advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:10:33 PM by birdlady »

MicheleMaBelle

Re: New to HRT - Elleste 1mg issues
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »

Hi bird lady- go back to your docs. Most start on Elleste Duet but it doesn't always agree with some ladies although I thought that mainly surrounded taking the progesterone part. Have a read of the HRT preparations on the site, print off and take to your docs. Unfortunately many of them aren't clued up so they may have to try you on a few before you get a combo that suits you. In the meantime, you could try asking for a referral to a menopause clinic ( some you self refer ) as quite often there can be a bit of a wait for an appointment. It's better to try ( if you can tolerate) any regime for 3 months but some can make you feel awful ( sorry ) until they manage to hit your sweet spot. Keep going and don't take any nonsense from your GP. Let us know how you get on  :welcomemm:

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »

I would have thought it could be the withdrawal from the progesterone as this happened to me.

Basically when you stop taking the progesterone part, this simulates PMT like in a normal cycle. However with HRT you experience a sudden drop rather than a steady decline in a natural cycle. This can give rise to
depression and anxiety etc.

I had this on Femostan - the only way around this is either the Mirena coil or a continuous regime but I don't think you will be prescribed a conti regime if you've only missed 1 period.

Ratbag

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »

I started Elleste a month ago and thought it was the best thing ever until I started bleeding with unbelievable pain during the green tablets. I freaked out cos I thought progesterone would mean no bleed. On to the second white tablet of month 2 now, bleeding has stopped and I feel marvellous. Guess we're all different 😀