Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sigmoidoscopy  (Read 4783 times)

Cassie

Sigmoidoscopy
« on: March 29, 2017, 05:31:37 AM »

Hi ladies, I am due to go for a sigmoidoscopy soon and if one watches the videos, it appears to be a doddle, yet I have been googling and others have said it was horribly uncomfortable, am really anxious. Do you think I could take an anti inflammatory, perhaps something like Diclofenac, an hour or so before hand. I am not sure how high up into the rectum they go and am already cringing at the thought of the pipe going around the bend, my daughter had a colonscopy a while back and although she was sedated, she said it was very painful..... :-\

walking the dog

Re: Sigmoidoscopy
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:49:22 AM »

I had a colonoscopy last year without sedation and it was very painful. A few weeks later I had to have a sigmoidoscopy so asked for sedation I didn't feel a thing that time . Definitely ask for sedation

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:09:20 AM »

Thankyou from what my understanding is, it is a short procedure, I do not know if sedation is even offered?

ellie

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 07:48:33 AM »

Cassie please dont worry, I had a sigmoidoscopy in January without sedation, it was slightly uncomfortable and over very quickly, A month later I had a colonoscopy again without sedation,  a little more uncomfortable but nothing too bad........If you are getting too worked up about it, ask for some sedation, but please stop worrying, it truly isn't that bad......

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »

Thankyou Ellie, that is lovely to know, to be honest, I am more worried about the sedation, have never had it before, always worried I have a bad reaction to intravenous medication, so would rather stay awake if possible but am concerned that they will  not be able to proceed if its too painful....so will have to just hope for the best and hope it was like your experience and not Walking the Dogs :) How on earth did you manage a non sedated colonscopy, did they give you some gas at least for the pain? Would love to try it but am afraid I would not cope, I find a papsmear painful so cannot imagine a tube going through my colon....

ellie

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:24:07 AM »

Cassie I was offered gas, but I wanted to go straight home, so declined it.....But  I knew it was there if I needed it.....As I said, it was uncomfortable, a bit like griping tummy ache.    If you go in with that thought.....'I can have the gas if it gets too much for me '.........you will be stronger than you think.

Grumpy girl

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »

Cassie, it's not that bad really, not nice I must admit but it had to be done.  I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy last December and opted for the gas and air which was offered to me, it was a bit painful at times but not unbearable and the staff were absolutely brilliant, it was all over and done with within twenty minutes. To be honest I thought the preparation beforehand with the Movicol was the worst bit.  :-\

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 06:42:13 PM »

Everyone is different and everyone's experiences are true to them.  If you have a bowel that clamps onto the scope they have to put alot of gas in to expand it and this makes it very painful whereas others have loose ;D bowels that need very little gas so they find it a doddle.  I have had 2 sigmoids and a full colonoscopy in my time and both the sigmoids without sedation and they were extremely painful for the above reason as explaineed to me.  For the colonoscopy and gastroscopies I asked for max sedation and didn't know a thing :)
If you want sedation at the time do phone them and request it as you may need a different appt as with sedation takes longer than without but they will let you have it done with sedation if you ask.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »

DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING prior to this examination.  DO ring the dept. and express your worries.  They will be used to reassuring patients.  I would always ask for sedation .......... you can ask what is likely to be used and whether you will need a driver.

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »

Hi ladies, thought I would give some feed back on my sigmoidoscopy that I went for earlier. I opted for no sedation, despite being offered it several times, there were moments where I thought I would go through the ceiling but they were short lived and I am convinced, from what I could feel, were definitely, linked to the air that is pumped into ones colon,  more so than the actual scope, I could feel the scope  in my colon it was a strange feeling but not painful.   Am glad it is done and I would def do it again without sedation, do not think I could cope with a full colonoscopy unsedated but the flexi sig was certainly  a lot quicker. And the enema given before the time was really easy and painfree.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 04:34:38 PM »

:thankyou:  ........... feet up, cuppa to hand?

Cassie

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 06:16:31 PM »

On my 3rd cuppa  ;) they tell one straight away if they see anything untoward, so no waiting thankfully.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 07:12:39 PM »

:bounce: that's me, not you  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 07:20:44 PM »

Just catching up with this Cassie. I'm glad it went well. I had it done a few years ago and opted for no sedation. Very strange taste to the spray for the back of the throat though. I didn't enjoy the enema beforehand but found the procedure, although uncomfy, not painful and I was fascinated watching it on the screen.

Taz x

ellie

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »

Well done and good news 💐💐
Pages: [1] 2