News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT  (Read 1271 times)

Jogoldie

HRT
« on: March 27, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »

Hello

I'm still trying to get used to site. I read couple of replies but unsure how to access them again? Initially I posted couple weeks ago as I'd been to see GP as I've not had period since December, been experiencing night sweats snd hot flashes. He advised blood test and ultrasound, but can take up to 3 months. Went back today and they now believe I am in peri menopause, I am 37. I've to have more blood tests as iron level is low -is this common? Also, advised I research about HRT but he recommends I take it. The night sweats and hot flashes have stopped, for now, but pain in my hips, pelvis and back is at times very painful.

Any advice or info would be gratefully received

Many thanks
Joanne

Taz2

Re: HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:41:54 PM »

Hi Jogoldie. You  may find that you are building up to a period as night sweats and hot flashes often stop in the few weeks before a period during peri-meno. Lots of us on here have gone for quite a few months without a period and suffered hot flushes/sweats. The flushes and sweats suddenly stop leading us to think that maybe the whole menopause thing is done and dusted (silly us!) and then a few weeks later a period arrives. I see you haven't had one since December and a three month gap is common during the first stages.

If your GP feels that you do need HRT then I would go with that advice as you are young to be without oestrogen. Oestrogen protects your heart and bones at up to the usual age of menopause which is deemed to be around 51. Up to this time you are replacing what should have been yours naturally and any risks don't begin until after the normal meno age.

Have a good look around the site especially look at the topics in the green bar at the top of the page to find out about the different HRT available.

To access previous posts you have made you need to click on the "profile" button in the blue bar under your name etc. and it will bring up a menu on the left. Just click "show posts" and it will bring up all of your own posts.

Taz x

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:48:59 PM »

Hello- good advice from Taz x

Jogoldie

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:51:01 PM »

Thank you Taz I appreciate your reply. Indeed stupid me thinking I was getting off lightly as I have been thinking lately my period is going to start again as I have all usual signs.

To be fair my Dr did say exactly same as you about HRT and I'm sure I probably will take it but I'm still at stage where I'm kind of kidding myself on as I do think I'm young. Reckon I need a good talk with myself

Thanks again, Jo x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 06:45:29 AM »

I can understand that Jogoldie - it's like putting your fingers in your ears, la-la-la, I'm not listening - I do that a lot  ;D

Seriously, though, have you had a look at the info under Menopause in the green bar at the top of the page? It does give advice on premature menopause and also backs up the advice to definitely use HRT up to the usual age of menopause. You then, normally, come off it for a while just to see whether you do have any symptoms which still need HRT or not. It's not just the heart and bone health - oestrogen also looks after your urinary tract and stops your vagina from atrophying (getting dry and thin). Not nice to think about maybe (la-la-la-la!) but it is a very real part of menopause which isn't often talked about.

This is the definition of premature menopause or premature ovarian insufficiency as it is now known https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/pm-definition.php

Taz x  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 04:35:25 PM »

Hi Jogoldie - can't add anything, and I agree with Taz but just wanted to say also from me:  :welcomemm:

Hurdity x

Jogoldie

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 09:11:27 PM »

I have had a wee look around and my joints do ache at moment so reckon I prob do need to take HRT.

I appreciate the advice and support. It is rather strange but guess just going to have to suck it up and deal with it ha.

Thanks again
Jo X

Jobo1

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 10:08:55 PM »

Hi jo, I've just started hrt last Friday (I'm 37 too) I've done a teeny bit of research but if I'm honest, don't want to read too much and worry about it, would much rather bury my head in the sand and stay naive about some of it!  :-\ but, I've looked for what else to do to help with the osteoporosis side of things, hrt was def recommended by my gp more so because of age too, I'm also going to ask them to check vitamin d levels to see if I should start taking a supplement too and I've also looked into what exercise works good, apparently weight based stuff is good, so I've started a hiit type class which includes weights, and I've signed up for a Pilates/yoga class! Pushing myself way out of my comfort zone on all ways!  ;) but, after starting the hrt last Friday, by yesterday the flushes are barely happening! I'm gobsmacked! I'd had them every day horrendously months! Feel like a new (cooler, less sweaty) woman! X

Jogoldie

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »

Hi

Thanks for replying. That's so good to hear what a difference it's made to you. I've to see health assistant on Monday for more bloods and think I'll just ask for it. Do you take tablet or have the patch? The last couple of days the aches in my joints, back, hips and pelvic, is driving me mad.

I'm really bad for not exercising and this is excuse I'm going to need to really get myself moving. Think I'll wait for HRT tho as I'm lucky to make it to work just now ha

Jo X