Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Been given Oestrodose, not Estrogel & not feeling as good.  (Read 17048 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Been given Oestrodose, not Estrogel & not feeling as good.
« on: March 22, 2017, 01:10:29 PM »

Finally finished my script for estrogel from Prof Studd. last week. My GP issued me with a script for more pump packs, but when they arrived they were different and called Oestrodose, not Estrogel and the packaging was different. I checked the box and apparently, it has been repackaged under licence here in the UK. I started using it at the weekend, and since then haven't been feeling good at all. Headachey, nausea but also hungry at the same time, like morning sickness. Sleeping was bad last night and my mood feels very anxious and jittery. Haven't had this for a few months.

According to the new packaging, the ingredients and dosage are the same as estrogel. But I don't think it's a coincidence. It oestrodose cheaper or something? Anyone else had experience of this?

Liz

Re: Been given Oestrodose, not Estrogel & not feeling as good.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 01:13:53 PM »

I seem to always get the Oestrodose given to me at the Pharmacy (think I've only had Oestrogel once).  The Oestrodose I have here has a turquoise lid?  I'm often questioning whether HRT is helping me - perhaps this is why?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:15:01 PM »

Have long have you been using it Liz?

nearly50

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 01:53:36 PM »

That's very interesting nearly50.

My head is telling me that the gel MUST be identical, as surely there are very strict laws in place? But my heart is telling me that I really don't feel right at all, and it's just like I used to be months ago.

But I have double checked and all the ingredients, and the percentages and everything are the same. It's just that mine was purchased from Besins in France, and repackaged in Doncaster and called Oestrodose.

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:01:07 PM »

Digressing slightly, I take Thyroxine and was on branded Eltroxin for many years.  then it was stopped and the manufacturing company brought out a Levothyroxine generic, same ingredients, same quantities, same everything.  My thyroid levels became unstable.  My GP thought that I was imaging it but my endocrinologist explained that there can be up to a 15% difference in the way the body absorbs different brands of medication.  When I found a brand that suited me he had it added to my repeat prescription that I have to have the same brand EVERY TIME.  I have remained stable ever since.

GRL you are not imagining it and your body might be absorbing the different preparation differently despite the recipe being the same on paper.  Some of the fillers/added ingredients could be a different quality.  You are not going mad.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 03:09:13 PM »

Give the Prof a ring and ask the question?  We know our bodies ;-) and as BJ explains, anything slightly different in the preparation of a product can cause problems.

Liz

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »

Have long have you been using it Liz?

Two years, although I haven't ever gone about 1.5-2 pumps per day, I must admit.

Liz

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »

Seems like Oestrodose is much more common than the Oestrogel....... my friend who lives in another area, always gets Oestrodose too.  Not sure how I can ask for Oestrogel, the Pharmacy always seem to have/order the Oestrodose.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 05:27:23 PM »

Stellajane, I have tried looking to compare both products but can't find the information for the oestrodose pump packs. Looking at the packaging, and the contents seem the same on both. same percentages etc.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »

Good to hear from you GRL!

I'm MIS71MUM but messed my account up by mistake.

The last I remember you were going to trial tiblone/zoladex. Did you change your mind? Xx

Maryjane

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 06:29:45 PM »

The chemist I got mine from today has both the types.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 08:37:01 PM »

I have just checked my repeat prescription, and it says 'Oestrogel Pump Pack o.6% gel (Besins HealthcareUK Ltd).

The pump packs I had from Prof Studd's prescription were manufactured by Besins, but gave an address in Belgium stated on the box, and the pump packs themselves didn't have any relabelling, or stickers on them, or anything. Their ingrideints were listed as:

Active Ingredients
"Each metered dose (1.25g) contains 0.75mg estradiol 0.06% w/w

Other ingredients:
Carbomer
Ethanol
Triethanolamine
Purified water

Product Licence Holder:
Besins Healthcare, Brussels

I have checked the packaging of the Oestrodose pump pack, and it reads:

Active Ingredient:
estradiol 0.6% w/w
Each metered dose (1.25g) contains 0.75mg estradiol

Also includes:
Carbomer
ethanol
triethanolamine and purified water.

Manufactured by Besins, Belgium NV
Exploitant: Laboratories Besins International, Montrouge - France

Procured from within the EU and repackaged by Animed Direct Ltd, Hendon, London
Product Licence Holder:BR Lewis Pharmaceuticals, Doncaster

So, it looks like the same ingredients, but different licence holders. And, for some reason the 'exploitant' (which means farmer, manager in French) is in France.

Salad

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 11:39:01 PM »

When I used gel I found the Oestrodose was not as effective as the Oestrogel. My GP wrote Oestrogel on the prescription and I asked the pharmacy to make sure it was the Oestrogel I had. They were really helpful in getting it for me.
There was a manufacturing problem at one time which made it more difficult to get hold of - maybe that's happened again?  :)

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 08:33:54 AM »

Hi Salad

How could you tell the oestrodose wasn't as effective?

I'm sure mine isn't as effective. Yesterday afternoon I felt unusually hot and a bit sweaty (never normally have this), and had a headache all day with a touch of diarrhoea. I felt very unfocused and low, and quite panicky at times. These are all symptoms I associate with not enough oestrogen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4