Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan dosage days 15-26  (Read 1590 times)

jasper

Utrogestan dosage days 15-26
« on: March 19, 2017, 07:36:24 AM »

Hi all,
I'm off to the gp again tomorrow following my first 3 weeks on continuous utrogestan 1-25. She's prescribed as per leaflet ie 100mg and so I'm aware if I try to move to days 15-26 she will say I need 200mg which I know will be too much as I am already having major side effects vaginally. Hoping less build up if only 1/2 month.

I'm aware of course that many take 100mg 15-26 or even for 7 days via Studd.  Are other well known consultants e.g. Panay prescribing both 100mg 15-26 and also vaginally? She's reasonable but no experience so I need to have my facts straight.

Thanks

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan dosage days 15-26
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 05:01:01 PM »

Remind us if you are peri or post meno? The days 25-28 is for very late peri-menopause or post-menopause otherwise you may get breakthrough bleeding (has this been discussed on another thread - I feel as if I've covered this already recently but might be someone else - I can't keep up - sorry!)

If you move to the cyclical dose ie days 15-26 - as you say the oral dose is 200 mg. However off licence gynaes will often prescribe less for vaginal use - as research has shown (small studies) that more progesterone gets into your system when used vaginally and also more to the point, more gets to the uterus where it is required. Therefore 12 days vaginally at 100 mg may equal 200 mg orally - approx.  As has been pointed out many times - Studd's 7 day approach is way lower than the recommended amount and would need medical supervision.  I have no experience of private gynaes prescribing this and can't remember what others have said on here.

Why not ask the GP if you could try 100 mg vaginally for 10 days per 28 as a compromise, due to side effects and ask that you have a scan annually? I am not sure what the NHS view is on this - maybe you would need referral to a menopause clinic and for them to write to your GP along these lines?

Good luck :)

Hurdity x