Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New member with questions  (Read 1974 times)

Bonniejo

New member with questions
« on: March 13, 2017, 02:04:42 PM »

Hi everyone, hope someone can advise. I'm 52 post meno and on evoril conti.  I've been using hrt for 5 yrs and have tried several. Each time I change, my symptoms (night sweats, flushes) go away and I think great,  but after a while they start coming back so the Dr changes the hrt. Evoril sequi was the best but then the flushes/sweats reappeared. I hadn't had a period for over 6 months so was changed to conti, but my sweats and flushes are back with a vengeance.  I'm having other health issues at the moment(low ferritin stores but not anaemic) and have just been referred to a neurologist(?Ms). My Dr is loathe to change hrt and said I'm on the highest strength, but I just can't take the sweats much longer. I barely go out now as my palms drip, I look like my hair is permanently wet,  the slightest movement   triggers the sweating and flushes. I'm well and truly fed up. Any suggestions?  I also take 100mcg levothyroxine, vitamin d, ferrous fumarate tds, prozac 40mg and rabeprazole.
Thanks in advance x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member with questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 02:08:18 PM »

:welcomemm:  I'm sure someone will be along with advice.  GPs are keen to alter medications rather than work round upping or lowering dosage until one gets a better result  >:(

Browse round.  Put Evoril Conti into the search box to see what pops up?

Bonniejo

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 02:23:16 PM »

Thank you for replying. I'll do the search now. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 04:22:06 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

dazned

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 10:12:53 PM »

Have you recently had your thyroid checked ? I see you use thyroid meds and I know that there are some sort of interactions between hrt and these sometimes it's not the hrt that needs tweaking it's the thyroid which has become unstable and this could in fact be the cause of your sweats,just a thought.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 04:04:39 PM »

Hi Bonniejo

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear you haven't managed to control your symptoms yet. In addition to what dazned says about thyroid - because it could be an imbalance here ( due to menopause) that is causing the sweats, it may well be that you do need a higher dose.

Your doctor is quite wrong that you are on the highest strength - well right in that there are no higher strength combi patches - but patches alone come in 75 mcg and 100 mcg doses. If you chose to increase your dose to one of these then you would need to take a separate progestogen - and the two available are Provera or utrogestan ( the latter is progesterone itself).

The oestrogen patches are listed here (scroll down)
https://menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

and the progestogens here:
https://menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

Also how do you know you are post-meno - I mean were you 12 months without a periods before starting Evorel sequi? I

The other thing is that some women do find that progestogens interfere with some of the beneficial effects of oestrogen and therefore choose to remain on a cycle even when post-menopausal (such as me). Some such women ( including MM members) sometimes find they have to increase their oestrogen dose when on the progestogen phase because of a temporary increase in flushes.

Therefore your increase in flushes could partly be down to the fact that you are taking a strong progestogen all the time.

I would suggest returning to a cyclical HRT ( if you don't mind having a bleed) and then at least you will have the  benefits of oestrogen only for half the month ( once you have got the progestogen out of your system). Some women prefer to have stable hormones and no bleed despite the disadvantages of continuous progestogens.

It's a case of working out what's best for you.

Hope this helps and let us know what you decide and how you get on :)

Hurdity x

Bonniejo

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »

Thank you all for the replies. My thyroid was tested in January, in the 'normal range'. I am going back to my gp Re the hrt. I was put onto the conti as I stopped having periods even when on the sequi. It isgetting on for 2 yrs since I last had a period. My BP is also up atm, and I've broken out in hives. Had a very teary 2 days, but I am determined to kick this  ;)