Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Stopping HRT advice please  (Read 2513 times)

Niamh

Stopping HRT advice please
« on: March 11, 2017, 09:53:58 AM »

Hi so I'm 42 and been on hrt (ostrogel/utro) for about 18 months now. I've been on hrt for pmt reasons not meno and I'm severely intolerant to prog which was causing my pmt but I'm also having terrible problems with prog on HRT. The whole thing is stressing me out and I'm being told by consultant my only option is a full hyster which I really don't want unless I absolutely have to! I now want to come off hrt and see where my natural cycle is and how my own pmt is before I make a decision as it may have settled. I'm working with a nutritionist and back out running to really make sure I'm in good shape and trying different things to manage my stress but hrt is adding to it!!

My question is how to stop? I assume I go very slowly I currently use 2 pumps daily and utro X 100 for 7 days each month. Any advice on how much I drop it by and for how long to come off it? Assume my own cycle may also then not return for a bit?
Thanks
Niamh

dazned

Re: Stopping HRT advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 02:03:31 PM »

Some say to taper it off,others have gone cold turkey so to speak ,seems that whichever way you do it there doesn't appear to be any difference to what/when any symptoms may/may not return. I certainly have stopped hrt both ways.

Niamh

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »

Thank you which way do you think is best? How long does it take to settle down after I'm very nervous but I know it's the right thing to do!

dazned

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 05:01:20 PM »

There really didn't seem to be one way better than another for me. You are much younger than me though so I'm assuming as you were trialling hrt for pmt not memo symptoms that you should be producing your own hormones to some extent so perhaps you won't notice to much disruption hopefully. As you say you need to stop if evaluate where you are,if it makes you feel more confident use one pump for a month then stop.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 05:47:54 PM »

Hi Niamh,

I stopped suddenly. However, the HRT made me feel so desperately poorly that it really couldn't have got any worse. I was peri and docs were trying to treat pure menstrual migraine. All of my symptoms caused by the HRT disappeared very quickly aside from the migraine which had been severely aggravated and took a very long time to start to calm a little. The weight I'd put on when taking HRT fell off within weeks without any attempt to lose it, and I'd put on a lot!

You're doing all the right things, try to think positively even if you have a few hiccoughs.

Good luck to you x

Lizab

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 07:00:25 PM »

Everyone reacts differently, but I think you could just stop cold. You aren't post-menopause so you've got some hormones doing their thing. I think of it like people don't taper off birth control pills,  so stopping hrt shouldn't be any worse.  If you're nervous about it, you could cut your estrogen in half for a couple weeks and see if you notice any difference, then decide if you need time to adjust to that lower dose, cut your dose even lower, or just quit.