Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Age and HRT  (Read 2725 times)

toffeecushion

Age and HRT
« on: March 10, 2017, 03:16:39 PM »

I was surprised to find out today that my mum is still on HRT.  She is 70, is this too old to still be on it?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Age and HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 03:19:10 PM »

Why would it be too old?  If your Mum is up and at it, feeling well, it's her choice.  If she had symptoms that required HRT - when did you begin treatment for example? - and those symptoms have gone or less  :-\

My Mum has reached the age of 90 on very little medication other than Paracetamol as necessary, occasionally cider vinegar and heart-burn remedies.  If she were on long-term medication with good results, I would keep Big Gob Shut  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:21:10 PM by CLKD »

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 03:34:18 PM »

There is no maximum age limit for HRT - although it is not advised to start it if you are more than 10 years post-menopause except under strict supervision (transdermal route preferred - though the skin), or over 60.

If her doctor is happy with it and she is well - then presumably that is OK? Do you know how long she has been taking it and what type?

I'm in my 60's and still taking it and there are several of us in this position on here - I don't think we have a 70 year old on HRT posting on here though - well not that she's admitting anyway  ::)

Hurdity x

Anjia

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »

I have a friend whos 72 and on Hrt and shes amazing !!

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »

Hurdity, just a matter of time! My gynaecologist said I could take HRT forever unless there are contraindications. I'm 60+++

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 03:47:55 PM »

The question is: what is 'elderly'?  This has been mooted in the Press recently ...... I remember people in their 60s being 'old' but now it's different ....... why would anyone be denied treatment if it gives Quality of Life!

Is your Mum worried? or is it a background un-ease about her ........

toffeecushion

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 03:56:51 PM »

Thanks for your reassuring posts.  She isn't concerned about it and I am sure her gp isn't or she wouldn't be on it, I was just a bit concerned about any increased risks.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »

Are there any increased risks?  After all, something far more serious might come along or that bus  ;) so Quality of Life is important.  Gives us the strength to deal with anything 'else'.  70 is a number ......... or a state of mind.  Do you think that your Mum behaves as you expect a 70 year old to, certainly my Mum doesn't act 90  ;D