Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: 6 Weeks Post TAH - need advice!  (Read 1793 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
6 Weeks Post TAH - need advice!
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »

Hello
Firstly can I say that I'm MIS71MUM and closed my account in error.

As above I'm 6 weeks post operation, kept ovaries, and am in a slight panick. I had my check up at 5 weeks, the consultant said he would write to my GP to do hormone tests!
But why? I've had to raised FSH tests in the past, 35 and 29, so why would I need further tests.

Also had oestrogen tests before of 129 pmol and 533 pmol.

I know during the operation he saw both ovaries and mentioned that they were the right size and healthy, otherwise he would have taken them out. So now I'm concerned that there's a possibility that I may need to stop oestrogen if my test results indicate this.

Do you hormones rebalance Post TAH and maybe you need less oestrogen? Could that be it? Any ideas would be very welcome.

Annie0710

Re: 6 Weeks Post TAH - need advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 02:12:20 PM »

I had your op at 32.  I kept my ovaries but no one tested my hormones before or after but within 6 months my ovaries started failing and my oestrogen levels dipped very low so they started me on hrt.  It does happen like in my case that the blood supply gets damaged to the ovaries during the TAH so maybe that's why they're testing you.  Hrt should be given on symptoms not levels x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 03:30:37 PM »

Hi Marchone71

Firstly - if you write to Emma (pm) then you might be able to get your old account hooked up to this one - if you deleted it in error ( tho' not sure if you can send pm's until you've made 10 posts?). If not perhaps make a post in the forum help section or something and request this?

Secondly - if you have kept your ovaries then your cycle will continue in the background to some extent, if you had not reached menopause - but as Annie0710 says sometimes you get hormonal changes following hysterectomy (while retaining ovaries) for a variety of reasons.

I can't remember why you had a hysterectomy and I presume because of fibroids or bleeding or something similar? Were you still taking HRT when you had your operation as this will affect the extent to which you need it now. What symptoms, if any do you still have - do you have flushes and sweats or other menopausal symptoms?

Hurdity x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 06:00:13 PM »

Hi
Thank you for the replies.

Yes I will contact Emma to see what she can do.

Yes I had hysterectomy for adenomyosis and fibroids. The Mirena was removed at the same time.

I have been taking HRT of some form since March last year. At the time of the operation, I was on approximately 4/5ths of a 50 mg patch with the Mirena. I wasn't told to stop taking in advance of the operation.

I get flushes now but I also got them before the operation too. Haven't had any depression post op but have felt a bit anxious and jittery here and there. Also get GERD too now in peri.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 10:20:32 PM »

Hi Marchone71. It could be that as you had the mirena fitted then your progesterone levels will now be different since it's removal. Also, even though you kept your ovaries they are often shocked into shutting down earlier than they would normally have done so maybe it's to get a "benchmark" from now so that any decline in hormone can be noted .

Taz x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 09:53:46 AM »

Hi
That's a good way of thinking about it, that it's a benchmark so I know where I am going forward.

I suppose I thought that my body/brain would know that I didn't need to produce progesterone anymore and then I tick over nicely with Oestrogen only.

When I read the NHS website, it did say that there would be a hormonal rebalance following a TAH, if you kept your ovaries. So I suppose that's what I'm going through now along with my own cycle too.

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 11:48:44 AM »

Hormonally I felt no different for the first 6 months, to be honest I didn't even think about hormones at all as I was just desperate to get my heavy sagging womb out lol so it was a huge shock for me when I started with menopause symptoms but the hrt I was given sorted everything out.  I think my ovaries were kind of ticking over in the background every few months as I'd have tender nipples and assumed I was ovulating but never 2 consecutive months , it could be every other or every fourth month but as the hrt was working a treat I didn't care.  It was 13 years later everything started going wrong and I had so many symptoms I'd not experienced first time round, I really was a physical and emotional wreck back then.  I wonder whether it was a hormone crash.  I was diagnosed post meno at 48 and last year they couldn't find my ovaries and said they'd probably shrivelled and disintegrated around the time or soon after this 'crash' x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 07:08:04 PM »

Hi Annie
I'm the same age as you when you were peri, I'm 45 now.
I was a physical and emotional wreck when my GP took me off Femoston 2/10 for heavy bleeding. Don't think I've been the same since. So the thought of my consultant requesting blood tests that might end up in me coming off HRT again terrifies me, that's an understatement by the way.

I take an AD but I know that sometimes hormonal fluctuations override it.

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 07:19:59 PM »

I'd be very surprised if they stopped your hrt because of whatever levels you have but speak up about your fears.  I've had numerous blood tests for hormone levels since peri as guidelines and I've always had quite high oestrogen levels but they've never tried to take me off it.  My progesterone just kept declining over the 2-3 years from peri to post x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:00:12 AM »

Hi Annie0710

Look at your footer, you took Oestrogen following a diagnosis of ovarian failure. Can I ask how you were diagnosed with that? Was it's a blood test?

From what I've read over the weekend, my ovaries don't stand much of a chance, they've been failing since 2010 and then having a TAH isn't going to have done them much good.

I always felt like I could feel my patch wearing off, so do think that I'm underdosing at the moment.

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 12:41:38 PM »

Yes about 6 months after the hysterectomy I developed symptoms (I had no internet back then and was clueless) so went to Drs and immediately said she's 100% sure my ovaries have gone into shock so did bloods, oestrogen was very low so she advised hrt

Sonographer last year said because that happened so long ago and the fact she couldn't find my ovaries they've probably shrivelled and disintegrated through lack of blood supply x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »

Thanks for your help.
Am considering upping my doseage but am going to see my GP first.
Hope you are doing well with Tiblone xxx

Annie0710

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 12:51:31 PM »

Thanks , so far so good on Tibolone, good luck with your appt x