Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bullying tactics by consultant  (Read 3860 times)

Lynanne

Bullying tactics by consultant
« on: March 07, 2017, 12:34:59 PM »

Hi am now 2 years post menopause hooray ;D
Any way approx. 5 years ago discovering slight uterine prolapse.  g,p sent me to gynae as a referral for repair.
This is where my troubles began, surgeon said hysterectomy bearing in mind I was in my 40's and still functioning with no symptoms asked why told  only solution.  I had done my homework knew there were other options, repair, physio, ring pessary etc. had read up on hysterectomy and knew it had a high chance of causing further problems. expressed my concerns to be told rubbish there is nor risk. I read this on an nhs website, but she poopooed it. Still pushing me towards an op I then asked about physio told it wont help, then ring pessary no its for old people and you cant have sex and when I said but you can and I could also remove it myself she said no.
At this stage I had had enough I left vowing never to have a hysterectomy unless it was life threatening.
Now I am becoming slightly aware of the prolapse and am self managing with a moon sponge but feel it is time to seek help.
But after this womans bullying I am determined not to have a hysterectomy.
Don't know where to go from here, any advice please.

SallyBee

Re: Bullying tactics by consultant
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »

Hey Lynanne!

I hate being bullied so I'm with you on that!  I tend to be a bit of a doormat in general, but when it comes to my body and the treatment I am going to have, I research it myself.....I'm sure my dr's hate me for it! 

Just a question, has your prolapse been graded, and if so, what grade is it?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »

What does your GP say about this Consultant?  That's your first stop, to read the letter which was sent following your appt..  You also have access to any Hospital you want if your Health Authority will pay.  Have a look-see that the Hospital web-site to see if she is still working there and if there are options.  Look at Hospitals within travelling distance.

Ask if there is DIY methods to ease your symptoms.  Let us know how you get on!

I could understand if you were paying to see this Consultant, many years ago I had a polyp which bled on contact.  My private Gynae wanted to remove it ASAP - he reassured me that he wasn't expecting it to be cancerous so I jested that he was 'due for a holiday'.  I booked the op appt. but cancelled it closer to the time.  After all, I was paying.  The polpy shrunk at peri  ::). He was so bullish about me having to undergo surgery that I never went back to him.

Binbon2

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:47:34 PM »

Hi Lynanne

I discovered a uterine prolapse about 5 years ago when I was 40. The first consultant I saw sounds very much like the one you saw. She tried to push me to have a hysterectomy since I 'didn't need my uterus anymore'. Like you, I was also concerned about the further problems. I was offered a ring pessary, and have used them ever since, changing it every 6 months. It doesn't affect me in anyway at all. The only issues I had was when the size needed changing and it kept slipping/rubbing. I paid for a private appointment with a gynae consultant who recommended a hysterectomy as well, but I wasn't covered by my insurance from BUPA so had to go back through the NHS. I then saw a third consultant who strongly suggested that I should leave the hysterectomy for as long as possible as it would make further prolapses harder to repair. I think there is a huge range of opinions of what is best to do.

Perhaps you can get your GP to refer you to a different consultant for a second opinion? My ring was fitted by a consultant but is changed at my GP surgery by one of the nurses.

Lynanne

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »

Thanks for your insight binbon I have an appointment with the practice nurse for a smear test tomorrow so will ask her more about having a pessary. at the moment it sounds like the best option for me. I have a grade 2 prolapse now but still no real symptoms only if I have been on my feet all day. Managing with a moon sponge which is a great help.
I am just so frustrated with our local hospital as the person I saw was so unhelpful. 
But will see what the nurse advises tomorrow.
My life is sooo busy atm and financially cant afford the time off that would be needed (I am self employed)
So a pessary I am sure will be the answer for now.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »

Will U let us know?

Lynanne

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 07:27:03 PM »

Of course :D

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 07:31:46 PM »

:thankyou:

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 08:16:52 PM »

Hi Lynnanne.

I can tell how worried you are about the prospect of having to have a hysterectomy due to uterine prolapse but, in my opinion, hysterectomy is the best treatment for this problem. I know a ring pessary is ok - especially if you are older or too ill to undergo surgery, but it's not always good as a long term solution as the prolapse begins to worsen.

I had a hysterectomy for uterine prolapse at the age of 60 three years ago. I had put it off since my mid fifties. It gradually got worse and worse and more and more uncomfortable. As I went further into menopause, and despite being on HRT for much of that time, my tissues became much weaker and I also suffered a bladder prolapse. Ordinary day to day things became uncomfortable and the feeling that something was falling out all of the time was very difficult.

At the age of 60 healing was slower than it would have been ten years earlier but I was lucky in that I was still healthy enough to have the operation. Not everyone is that lucky. My main point is that this is not something that will go away and as you go further into menopause then it could worsen quite quickly as mine did. In hindsight I wish that I had listened to my gynae and had the operation sooner.

Hysterectomy is not an easy decision I know and, yes, it can and does change things about your body but it is worth considering it for your future comfort. Of course once you have had one prolapse then others are likely to follow but I am so much more comfortable since having mine removed. I understand your worries though about having to take time off so the ring pessary would probably be a good thing for the time being especially as you are only a Stage II which typically means that a ring has a 100% success rate.

Taz x  :)

Lynanne

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »

Well just an update saw the practice nurse yesterday.  Still grade 2 uterine prolapse no bowel or bladder phew. :lol:
Any way we read my notes from the hospital together she was horrified that I wasnt offered any alternative treatment 1st.
Confirmed that the hysterectomy could cause further problems as I had argued with the consultant, was also not happy I wasnt offered physio. And at her comments about the ring pessary although she said if I was alot older I would probably struggle to remove it myself.
Any way to cut a long story short have a half hour appointment booked with her to fit a ring pessary. She is sure it will help as she has fitted them in women with much worse prolapses than mine.
agreed to review about hysterectomy in 2 years as she agreed that now was not the right time for me.
I cant tell you how relieved this has made me a weight has been lifted thanks to a thoughtless consultant.

Binbon2

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 01:19:06 PM »

That's great news. Glad you have managed to get some support.

Interesting that you are going to be removing it yourself. I have mine in for several months and the nurse changes it for me.

Hope it helps for you. Let us know how you get on  :)

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 06:41:58 PM »

Glad you got the result you wanted Lynnanne.

Binbon your comment about "support" made me giggle as it is very apt!   ;D ;D

Taz x

Binbon2

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 08:45:13 PM »

;D

I wish I could say I had written that intentionally,but sadly not!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 09:55:42 PM »

Well done on pressing your point home Lynanne - you have been listened to, your concerns discussed and another option offered.  Let us know how you get on!

You could find out whether there's an alternative Consultant within travelling distance too for when you need to review the situation. [or how close to retirement the one you saw recently might be ;-) ]

Lynanne

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 03:45:12 PM »

Well ladies I am even more cross than I was before.  After a couple of tries with a ring pessary now being referred to nurse led pessary clinic at my hospital.as I quote more options available.  Nurse and new doctor couldnt understand why I wasnt referred there
When I was seen by a gynaecologist.  I am so cross at the attitude that so called gynae had towards my issues.She could have referred me for heavens sake.
Have been told as my prolapse is not severe there is no urgent need for hysterectomy. I can have it or not at this stage.
Anyway rant over onwards and upwards going to cuddle my lovely new grand daughter lol
Pages: [1] 2