Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I've decided I will do HRT for osteoporosis so I need advice  (Read 9960 times)

Sarai

Re: I've decided I will do HRT for osteoporosis so I need advice
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2017, 10:28:13 AM »

On Monday I see my dr about HRT which was the first line treatment for osteo until the 10 year ago hrt scare. The NOS still have it on their list of treatments.
I've studied this issue until I'm blue in the face.
Definite side effects, probable side effects, probable benefits of bone meds.
I have a friend who works for the NOS she fractured and went on HRT and was fine for 8 years only after coming off did her bones seriously deteriorate.
They now take people off meds after 3 years, there must be a good reason for this. Forsteo injections are only 2 years in a lifetime due to bone cancer risks of all things.
Like all things more research, no money, needs to be put into finding a safe way to grow new bone.
There some in the pipeline but guess what they need money.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »

If a treatment is designed to help why stop it after a set period of time?  That's what I would be asking ......

Good Luck on Monday!

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 07:51:08 PM »

:thankyou:

Dana

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »

Just to be clear, it may be different in the UK, but the time "recommendation" is 5 years in Australia. This is then at the doctor's discretion.

Sarai

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »

The recommendation in the uk is now 3 and then a break. Recently it was on the BBC that it has been shown to cause idiopathic fractures and also lots of micro cracks in bones.

ancient runner

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »

Sarai, there is a long story in today's Guardian about this outlining the research, and pointing out that it was a very small study done in a particular way. It is quite a balanced piece - would be worth reading. It will be on their website.

Dana

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2017, 08:46:26 PM »

I have to say Sarai that you seem to be purposely looking for negatives. You're getting fractures for goodness sake. You will always find some small study to prove anything you want about any kind of medication. Just look at all the "research" negativity you can find about HRT on the internet.

If HRT helps with your issues that's great, but I personally think you a doing yourself a great disservice to be so negative about a medication that has proven to help. It's proving to help me. However your choices are you choices. I'm doing well and that's all I'm interested in really.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 10:07:25 PM »

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 11:23:55 PM »

:thankyou:  that's ball-room dancing for me then - now I need to find a partner  ::).  Eating well in our teens is important so we should be encouraging our young people to eat a balanced diet with plenty of dairy, greens as well as regular exercise.  I know that I don't take enough brisk exercise: note to self : but I am in our garden regularly at this time of year.  I note too that my 90 year old relative is beginning to bend over so must encourage her to get a bone density scan ....... or ask her GP to check what her recent X-rays looked like.

Thanks for raising the issues!  Any medication isn't without risks and there will often be a scare story - usually because someone has done a small 'study' and now wants a Research Grant  ::)

Dana

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2017, 03:59:40 AM »

Thanks for the link Elizabeth. As I suspected you need to read the article as a whole and not just take the part regarding the results of a very small study as gospel just because it suits your point of view.

It also confirms that, as I said, recommended treatment time is five years, not three Sarai. It just says it may be possible to treat for shorter periods as it tends to stay in the body.

As the article indicated, there may eventually be better treatments, but this is the best we currently have and I'm happy to take it because it's working well for me and there is no way I want to start getting fractures of the vertebrae.

Like I said though it's your call. I just hope that you get proper information from a doctor rather than internet "research".
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:12:33 AM by Dana »

Hurdity

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »

Great news that your bones density has increased Dana :)

I haven't read all of this thread but someone I know sent me this link today to some research just published about bisphosphonates which is relevant to the discussion - haven't had time to read it myself.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/newssummary/news_28-2-2017-13-6-7

Hurdity x

I'm just quoting the original post I made way back in this thread the other day, about the research you mentioned on the BBC Sarai and what the Guardian article was about. Perhaps the link got missed (or rather perhaps a little de-railed...)? This is what was reported in the major newspapers and as ancient runner said best to read the original article to find out exactly what was researched - rather than journalist's take on it. However as she says the Guardian one is balanced - and probably the best source of scientific reporting in the media - ie closer to the actual research and usually with other relevant contextual information.

Those who missed it - do read the link if you want know more detailed information.

Hurdity x

Dana

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2017, 12:51:20 AM »

Dana I do have to agree with you but as we've said its for each individual to decide. 

When you've witnessed the effects of spontaneous vertebral fractures in someone close to you as I have it would be very negligent not to advise anyone to do all they can to help themselves.

This is not simply about breaking a bone or not if you have a fall. My mother would have retained her mobility and thus her independence had she not suffered these fractures.

Yes I agree. My father had no idea he had osteoporosis until he broke his hip. Of course being a man there isn't as much emphasis put on osteoporosis, but it can still happen to them too. It was then a steady and very painful decline over the next couple of years, with like your Mum his mobility being severely impacted, before he died.

Sarai

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »

Dana I am not deliberately looking for negatives. I know the negatives and so do drs if they are honest.
I know people with jaw erosion, I know people who have fractured on bisphosphonates many many times.
I have read scientific papers on exactly how they work which is totally against nature allowing our bodies to retain old bone so they look better on dexa.
Incidentally these drugs started life in industry as industrial cleaners.

Dana

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2017, 04:26:44 AM »

Okay Sarai. I'm not going to argue with you. We all have to do what we think is best for ourselves. I happen to trust my research and my doctor's information, and for me I know it is working and that I am avoiding my osteopenia developing into osteoporosis. You may know people who have had fractures, but I had a father who found out he had osteoporosis when it was well advanced and he had broken a hip. His life expectancy after that happened was very limited and he died about 2 years later. That's all I need to know.
Pages: 1 2 [3]