Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HRT no good for anxiety??  (Read 4910 times)

jorainbow

HRT no good for anxiety??
« on: March 01, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »

So just spoken to GP. 'We only prescribe HRT for flushes as there is no proven link between HRT and reduction of anxiety'. Explained I don't feel depressed or anxious all the time but have an awful spaced out feeling (which lifts eventually) and yes occasional anxiety/panic attacks (2 since last week) 'That's what happens when you are anxious all the time - AD's would help'. I'm at a loss and require chocolate 😉😉

Tinkerbellj

Re: HRT no good for anxiety??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:54:26 AM »

Probably because they get lots of money for prescribing anti ds from pharma companies!! Having said that hrt hasnt helped my anxiety. .but neither did antidepressants.  I am weird! Just tell them u have flushes and want to try hrt. they cant refuse. if they do go to a different doc !! very few understand womans hormones I have discovered  especially if u dont conform to the norm!

jorainbow

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:17:08 PM »

Not that old thing money! !!! (Loaded with sarcasm 😉😉😉)

dazned

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 01:28:27 PM »

Hrt didn't do anything for my anxiety unfortunately either . Some ladies also use ADs alongside hrt,two pronged attack so to speak. Anxiety is the most difficult to get rid of and despite what some would have you believe hrt alone isn't always the answer for this distressing symptom. Hope you find a solution for you soon.

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 01:50:05 PM »

I have not found hrt 'cured' my anxiety, but since I went from Femoston 1/20 to 2/10, I feel much less wired up and get papatations and aches in the upper abdomen far less often.  I am much more able to deal with it.

I use yoga, breathing to stretch my diaphragm out helps a lot and regular relaxation sessions to remind me of how to do it.  I remind myself that it is my body that is doing this to me, and that I don't actually have anything to worry about. (much  ::) )  So lots of distressing.  (I also resort to gin and chocolate - it has got me out of difficult places before  ;) - although I must add that I drink way, way below those government 'targets'.  A stiff Gin and a bath full of lavender and chamomile  :D )

Best to stick to flushes - look up vasomotor symptoms - have also been told that my bladder issues are not menopause related, and also not sleeping at night (if you have ever lain in that state of not quite dropping off for an entire night, you know! and it is gone now  ??? )  Fortunately, my original doctor agreed that my intermittent joint pains were worth trying hrt for - she was around long before the scares of the early 2000s and had a strong interest in women's health but is now retired.  I am very grateful to her, because my current small GP practice is not well up on a lot of things and one of the doctors 'doesn't do women's issues' at all.

samweller161

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »

I take HRT but also take Escitalapram for anxiety (have done for a long time now and probably always will).  If you suffered from anxiety before the menopause then I guess this would be the same for you, if anxiety only came on with peri, then it's hormone related I would guess.  Personally I think anything is worth a try when you are feeling rotten

SP x

peri

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »

I would disagree with your doctor, being on the right dose of hrt (for me) has greatly reduced the anxiety that hit me at Peri menopause.  How can they comment if they've never been on it.  It's not that I never have anxiety now but only when it's appropriate.  For me hrt has helped me to function normally.

cubagirl

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 04:17:26 PM »

We're all different, some things that work for one don't work for another.  HRT helped with my flushes, but not the anxiety.  Guess it's trial & error until you find what works best.

jorainbow

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 06:01:02 PM »

Thanks for all your replies. I guess it is very much trial and error. My hesitance with ad's is having tried ssri before they were unpleasant - increased anxiety/nausea etc which I know is apparently only short term. I tried venlafaxine in 2004 for a bad episode of depression and anxiety but this is nothing like that feeling. They worked but were not good to come off. Sleep wise I have no issue getting off I wake early with anxiety and feel exhausted. Is escitalopram different to citalopram?

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »

I would always want to try HRT in the first instance and follow dahliagirl's advice - but perhaps not so much of the distressing  ;D

Hurdity x

jorainbow

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »

Less distressing more gin and chocolate I say!!!! I agree though. I'm home now on the sofa relaxed having a good belly laugh at you've been framed and hey presto no foggy feeling!!!! Hopefully the cbt won't be too long starting and the other stuff ive started will help xx

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 08:27:04 PM »

Bother - that was supposed to be de-stressing, of course  :-[ - the computer has become rather too keen with its corrections these days. >:(  Officious pedant that it is.....[mutters] :cuss:

samweller161

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »

I think Escitalapram is the kinder version of Citalapram but am not 100% sure.  Have a chat with your doc maybe?

SP x

Peri-wrecked

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 10:16:21 AM »

Hello,  sorry to hear about people suffering anxiety. It's awful. I've been experiencing what I believe is Perimenopause for 2 years now. I have a gynecologist appointment next in 2 weeks and I want to go on HRT.

Peri can I ask what HRT you are on? And how long did it take to kick in for your anxiety to subside. I've tried 3 anti depressants and they have done nothing for my anxiety. I strongly believe it hormone based. I am only going on 35 but my periods are only 2 longs maybe 3. Very light flow and coming earlier and earlier since start of the year.
Would love some info on this.
Thanks so much.
I can't imagine years of this torture.
Dee

peri

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 10:45:44 AM »

Hi desperatedee yes peri anxiety is awful but there is a lot you can do I believe.  I'm on evorel 50 patches and the mirena coil (so no periods!) Evorel worked immediately for me, I was literally flooded with a sense of wellbeing within 24 hours of taking it. Interestingly I also actually feel the patch run out when it needs changing. I have tried increasing my dose to 75 a few times but my body doesn't like it, so I stick to 50.  I also take pura epa concentrated fish oil (3 per day) which I started taking initially for joint pain but which also helps with mood (it's well documented it's a natural anti-depressant), once again I can feel the difference if I stop taking it.  Other than this I eat clean, limit sugar and exercise 3 times a week.  Good luck with your gynae appointment and let us know how you get on x
Pages: [1] 2