Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: LENT  (Read 4862 times)

breeze

LENT
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:31:30 AM »

Hi,

Is anyone giving up anything for Lent. I have decided to give up chocolate 🍫. I had a chocolate binge,last night, so am well up for a bit of abstinence. 40 days is a long time though.  ???

Hurdity

Re: LENT
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »

I gave up Lent a few years back! I used to give up stuff but since I'm not religious I don't know why I used to do it (hang over from childhood and religious upbringing?) except to show to myself that I could and usually for weight loss reasons - but I do dry ( most of) January now so that's enough for me!

Good luck with it though ! :)

Hurdity x

nearly50

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »

I'm only going to eat healthy food for the whole of March, but not doing it as part of Lent. Just doing it as my jeans are a little bit too tight for comfort at the moment! Not religious and didn't even know of it when I was a child as I don't remember any Church of Scotland services talking about it.

Do find it a bit crazy though, I have a friend who gives up alcohol for Lent, but only between Sunday - Wednesday as she found it too tough to do it for the whole week. By the time you've added in free days for Saint days it is a bit of a joke.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 07:18:29 PM »

It's all to do with penance Stellajane. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday.  Church of England schools also often practice this in their Ash Wednesday assemblies.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 08:09:33 PM »

Nope.  I can't afford to give up any food stuffs as I live on 'fancying' X, Y, Z  ::)