media

Author Topic: Edit  (Read 2337 times)

edelweiss

Edit
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:17:37 PM by edelweiss »

Menomale

Re: Oestrogen 'not working' after 4 years?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:31:31 PM »

Hello edelweiss and welcome! (lovely username)

I'm sorry you're having a rough time! I'm no HRT expert but there are many ladies here who will certainly help you. If you could add some more information it would be easier to understand what's going on.

How old are you? Are you post or perimenopausal? Have you done any blood tests to address your oestrogen levels?

Maybe you are experiencing another health issue... did you have appetite/weight problems before taking HRT?

Were you prescribed sertraline for these symptoms only?

I'm sure you'll get useful info here, stay in touch!

XXX

warwick01

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »

Hi

I was using 3/4 pumps of oestrogel for 3 years with no problem. Then it felt as if it lost it's effect (heard this from other ladies) Consultant said I became sensitised to it..... >:(

I am 58 and trialling Tibolone currently

Wxx 

Menomale

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 01:59:30 PM »

Thanks for the info, edelweiss.

So you started HRT while still in perimenopause, right? As I said, no expert here, just exploring the possibilities... ::) Maybe you still have ovarian function and some endogenous hormone production is messing with the HRT?

Menomale

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 02:22:51 PM »

No need to be terrified... If you have just started taking sertraline it may take some time to settle until you can feel some improvement in symptoms.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 03:48:08 PM »

Hello  edelweiss and welcome to the forum.

All AD's take a short while to produce a benefit so don't despair.  Other ladies have had great success with Sertraline infact some no longer post on MM so they must be feeling good lol.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »

Hi edelweiss

:welcomemm: from me too.

Sorry to hear you are feeling rough.

I was just wondering how you can say you are post-menopausal if you were peri when you started hRT? You will only be able to tell this if you stopped HRT and waited a year and then if no periods you would be post-menopausal. However if you were very late peri-menopause when you started HRT in 2012 it is likely you are post-menopausal now.

It is surprising for you to suddenly experience low mood and if you are not experiencing flushes and sweats it may not be down to the oestrogen at all. You say you have lost weight as well so if this has happened without trying and without a change in diet or much change in exercise then you should really see a doctor and ask for an explanation. Those oestrogen levels are good ( depending on when they were taken).

Re taking ADs - is there any reason ie recent life events/experiences which would lead you to experience low mood? Personally, if not I would want to seke out other reasons before going down this route - eg maybe another endocrine problem ( ref weight loss).

Also the other thing is that oestrogen levels fall on average for two years following the last ovulation until they reach their lowest level ( approx - as there can still be some minor activity) - so you could be experiencing the effects of this - even though flushes have not reappeared?

Also how do you take the Provera? Is it continuous or do you have a withdrawal bleed? Some women experience continuous low grade side effects from progestogens - although if you have taken it this way for several years it does not explain the recent change (although our bodies do change over time!). However something to think about - you could try going back to a cycle (with the OK from your doc) - and see how you feel on oestrogen only?

Hope this helps a little!

Hurdity x

Butterfly22

Re: Oestrogen 'not working' after 4 years - tachyphylaxis?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 08:45:30 PM »

Hi could it be the antidepressants? Maybe not the HRT if hot flushes have not come back. I'd keep on at the doctors as we no our own bodies and if something not right they need to get to the bottom of it xx

Salad

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 11:25:25 PM »

Hi edelweiss

I used oestrogel successfully for a year then had difficulties for about six months with low oestrogen symptoms breaking through - By then I was using 4 pumps in the morning then applying 1-2 more later in the day as my symptoms returned about 4 pm (under supervision of doctors).
It turned out I wasn't absorbing the gel correctly - I absorbed it too quickly and reached a super high oestrogen level in the morning and then the dip in oestrogen level brought on my symptoms. I was changed to patches and seem to have a more constant absorption.
I went from the 6 pumps to a 75 patch  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 03:05:54 PM »

Hi again edelweiss

Have just worked out that you replied in the quote! I do find it puzzling that the diagnosis of depression and anxiety and then the inevitable anti-depressants are given to women who find themselves in low mood for no apparent reason and if they have not suffered like this before and have no reason to feel like this. I would have thought an endocrinologist (well one that has familiarity with sex hormones), surely would consider some sort of hormonal explanation. It seems like depression/anxiety (like some other conditions) are convenient labels when doctors don't know what's wrong and can give you something for it.  It is a pity that so many women are encouraged to become "hooked on happy pills" as one newspaper article put it. However it is as you say one explanation for weight loss - ie stress and anxiety.

Clearly low mood is unpleasant and undesirable but it would be so much better to pursue other avenues to help and especially when our hormones are responsible for so many mood changes throughout our reproductive life and beyond! My main gripe is that once you are given them I think doctors may no longer seek a medical/physiological explanation for symptoms. However I may be talking through my metaphorical hat since I've never been give ADs and have no experience of what the follow up is over the years, to know whether this is the case!

Re tachyphylaxis - I don't imagine it is that. The information I have quoted is from Prof Studd's website - and in connection with implants. http://www.studd.co.uk/implants.php The phenomenon may well also apply to very high doses of oestrogen - but only occurs at what he calls "supraphysiological" oestrogen levels - ie levels far higher than would occur naturally in the menstrual cycle (pregnancy aside of course). You would only know if you had your oestrogen levels tested and they were extremely high all the time (not just at ovulation when they are expected to be).

However still not sure why you are feeling as you do.

Are you still taking Testim? Maybe the balance is not quite right? Insufficient T can be responsible for fatigue, low mood and depression (as well as low libido) and loss of muscle mass - leading to aches and pains.

Sorry I can't help any more than this but hope you feel better soon!

Hurdity x