Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Jaw and face tension  (Read 8272 times)

Michelle46

Jaw and face tension
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:50:16 AM »

Hi ladies
Does anyone suffer from jaw and face pain from tension? I don't seem to be able to rest my jaw easily it always seems like it is buzzing and burning. The jaw joint feels strange to touch. I can never stop thinking about it as it is so uncomfortable. I know it is from a long time tensed. Any suggestions?

Dennylou48

Re: Jaw and face tension
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:01:41 AM »

Hi Michelle I do this all the time even in my sleep. I wake up with my jaw clenched it's so annoying. My teeth hurt too, I can't change it in my sleep but by day I put my tongue behind my top set of teeth and for some how it's stops me clenching. Try it it may work. Good luck lovely. Xx

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:19:44 PM »

My dentist told me to do the TMJ exercise to stop my jaw clicking out - it helps with the relaxation too as it aligns it correctly - I find that I tend to pull it back into my neck.

It is basically standing in front of a mirror so that you can see if you are opening your mouth straight.  You then put the tip on your tongue where the hard palate ends and open and close your mouth gently.

There is lots of info on the internet.  This one gives you a bit more exercise and some info on posture and muscles:

http://www.rlbuht.nhs.uk/OurHospitals/Documents/TMJ%20Exercises.pdf

I need new varifocals as I find I am tipping my head back to use them and putting my body into a posture where the jaw clenching happens - another thing worth considering.

Muscle tension has been a big problem for me.  Every night before I sleep, I go over my whole body doing all the relaxation and breathing that I have learned in yoga classes over the years.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 01:22:27 PM »

My dentist made a mouth guard for me as my jaw clicked and was very uncomfortable. It's really helped. I was grinding my teeth away as well. The mouth guard covers the bottom teeth. I hated it at first, but now don't mind it. I don't wear it when I'm ill.

Michelle46

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »

Thankyou ladies for your replies. My mouth just can't rest closed. It doesn't feel right. It wants to open and it's always tingling etc even my teeth are achy. I will start doing the tmj exercises today. I don't find my jaw clicks though. A year ago I never had this sensation. It all started when my symptoms came on worse over a year ago. I was struggling with panic attacks,anxiety and very low mood indeed. I didn't want to see people. I suddenly changed. I couldn't even drop my kids off places or go shopping without a real panic. I've really talked myself into trying to be more positive. I've told myself to go along with it and it will get better. I can't wait for that day. There are worse people than me in the world though so mustn't complain.

Anjia

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »

I had the same symptoms and it was Anxiety that caused it Its awful I do feel for you x

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 05:29:54 PM »

I had this to the extent I was referred to a max fac clinic and then on to physio.  I also had a mouthguard but I bit through it!

the only thing that dealt with mine was chiropractic manipulation of the TMJ joint (sooooooo excruciatingly painful the chiro was surprised I kept going back)and exercises to release the tension in the large muscle that goes down the outside of your face in front of your ear as when that tenses it affects your neck and into your shoulder.

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 06:04:31 PM »

BJ, how did you bite through your mouth guard?!! I think mine is too strong for me to do that!

Michelle46

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 09:21:03 PM »

Anjia Did it ease at all,if so how did you do it?

Michelle46

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 09:22:15 PM »

Bj I am going to enquiry about manipulation. Thankyou x

ariadne

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 10:23:57 PM »

I bit through mine too

Ariadne xx