Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Help! How to come off Sandrena Gel and Utrogestan?  (Read 5290 times)

Frankie3030

Help! How to come off Sandrena Gel and Utrogestan?
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:34:17 PM »

I am 48 and have been on HRT for the past 8 months (I have low oestrogen, hair loss).  I started getting itchy skin, and I have over the last three months realised that it is every time I start utrogestan. The itching is really unbearable and last month I stopped Utrogestan after 4 days and a few days later the itching stopped.

I have contacted my very expensive and busy gynaecologist via email (my next appointment is not due until April) and his secretary just emailed me back saying I cant just take Sandrena Gel.  Not very helpful at all as what do I do in the meantime up until my next appointment?  Do I just stop taking both?  How do I wean myself off both these slowly?

I hope somebody can help me with this.  Also I have an autoimmune condition and I am not sure if taking HRT has made things worse.  My autoimmune condition means I have hairloss and joint pain.  I feel HRT has made my hair loss worse.

Dancinggirl

Re: Help! How to come off Sandrena Gel and Utrogestan?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 04:09:35 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
Why not simply stop everything for the time being - taking a break for 2-4 weeks is not a bad idea so you can really assess what side effects subside when you stop.  I got a strange rash and itching with Utrogestan, quite a common side effect I think - very unpleasant.  Utrogestan doesn't suit everyone but there are other options.  You might do better on Provera?  At your age HRT is a good idea and I doubt the hormones will effect your Auto immune problems - you would need to talk to an endocrinologist about this. Finding the right HRt is trial and error I'm afraid.  DG x

Dana

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:51:50 PM »

I agree that maybe you should try a different progestogen. I use Provera and have no problems with it at all. Utrogestan is not the be all and end all of progesterones. I would certainly experiment more before making the radical decision to come off estrogen altogether.

You wouldn't need to wait for your gyno's appointment. Your regular GP could give you a prescription for something different. Also, while of course you do need to take a progestogen with estrogen, it's not the end of the world to skip taking it for a couple of months to give yourself a break from it.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »

Hi there Frankie3030

Yes I agree with the others. Utrogestan used to contain peanut oil and now is soya I think - so could be some sort of allergy? Also there was someone on here who used to get terrible itchy rashes on any progestogens - was highly allergic. Defo try another type!

Re autoimmune condition - I presume you mean hashimoto's thyroiditis or rheumatoid arthritis?

Also what sort of cycle do you take Utrogestan on and where are you in menopause? It may be that you can stretch your cycle to 5 weeks or more if you are post-menopausal or nearly so, and/or take it for a shorter course each cycle under supervision of your doctor? Have you tried taking it vaginally because it does not have to go through the liver this way, so it could be some of the metabolites disgraeeing with you?

If you want to carry on with HRT then why not go to your GP sooner rather than later (rather than the expensive gynae!) as Dana suggests and try Provera  - it may well suit you - you can only try.

You are unlikely to come to any harm by taking oestrogen only until April but it's not ideal and your womb lining will build up and give rise to a heavy bleed when you eventually take a course of prog. If you are peri-menopausal and ovulating then you would shed it anyway.... it also depends on your Sandrena dose too....

Hurdity x

Frankie3030

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 06:20:41 PM »

Hi, thank you everyone for replying.  So kind of of you all.  I think I should definately stop taking Utrogestan, and Provera sounds really interesting!!   I was on Utrogestan 14 days on, 14 days off.

I have Sjogrens and MCTD - so suffer from fatigue, chronic hairloss, dry skin and eyes.  Sucks!

I will make an appointment with my GP before I see my expensive gynaecologist (who always says he is on hand if needed, but never is and gets his secretary to reply to me!). 

Great to hear more replies too so I can go armed with options from you lovely people!

Thanks again!