Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Testosterone article  (Read 2380 times)

Menomale

Testosterone article
« on: February 10, 2017, 01:32:53 PM »

http://www.maturitas.org/article/S0378-5122(13)00012-1/pdf

I found this inspiring... at least it's a start.

Hurdity

Re: Testosterone article
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »

Thanks Menomale. Interesting- I didn't have that one bookmarked. Fortunately the myths in the paper are not prevalent amongst gynaecologists here - it seems the article was particularly referring to US, and maybe the situation has changed there too since 2013? The NICE Guidelines made provision for T therapy to be prescribed off licence for women - but of course this has yet to get through to GPs as we have seen and even some gynaes are opposed (probably due to lack of a suitable licensed preparation).

There still need to be long term studies on T replacement in women (when given with oestrogen therapy) to determine doses for efficacy and safety through peri-menopause and post-menopause together with the development (or re-introduction) of a commercial preparation designed specifically for women such as the former Intrinsa patch and gel in appropriate concentrations. From what I gather I don't think implants are available any more on NHS - they were withdrawn a few years ago - but not sure if they were reintroduced - possibly still available privately? I am sure someone knows? Also there needs to be a test for T that is sensitive enough to reflect differences in T levels amongst women at the lower end of the T scale rather than using the same test as for men (which I think is the only one used - according to gynae I saw anyway).

Hurdity x

Tempest

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:31:18 PM »

Hurdity, Testosterone implants are indeed still available at at least two hospitals here in Scotland.  :)

Blakeygray

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 07:53:24 PM »

We produce T, we need T. Not loads of it but it still causes an imbalance when it's lacking.

I think the problem is that 'T is a male sex hormone'  will always be the headline. Hence the reluctance by so many of the medical profession to prescribe it.

Menomale

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »

That's my thought too, Blakeygray.